• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best Coilovers for under a grand?

isnt K-Sport/D2/BC/Megan made in taiwan and most likely came from the same factory?

BC/ Megan is made in Taiwan, but so is APEXi. They are all made by BC, but BC saves their BR brand for themselves as it is better.

Ksport/ D2 is made in China

D2 is made in China

That's not true. I'm on D2's with custom spring rates, 14kg./F, 12kg./R, which I ordered directly from their factory in Taiwan. I got them on my X almost a year and a half and have about 3000km. (1864 miles) with them. I can say that I'm very satisfied with their function on it. I also got them on my race car Honda Civic which I uses for a hill climb races for more than 3 years without any problems, absolutely no leaks, cracks, or something, with one word PERFECT choice for the money. If they are enough strong to hold bumps, unpredictable holes, fast cornering curves, they will be more than OK for a daily driver. I will buy them again for sure.
Darko

DSC00109.jpg

KSport is made at the same factory JIC's are made in Taiwan. The D2's and Megans are made there too.

As with most commodities people buy, one factory spits it out based on their customers' supplied parts, desired appearance, and quality.

Dave

That's not true. I'm on D2's with custom spring rates, 14kg./F, 12kg./R, which I ordered directly from their factory in Taiwan. I got them on my X almost a year and a half and have about 3000km. (1864 miles) with them. I can say that I'm very satisfied with their function on it. I also got them on my race car Honda Civic which I uses for a hill climb races for more than 3 years without any problems, absolutely no leaks, cracks, or something, with one word PERFECT choice for the money. If they are enough strong to hold bumps, unpredictable holes, fast cornering curves, they will be more than OK for a daily driver. I will buy them again for sure.
Darko

DSC00109.jpg

Wow. Very clean. Nice detailing.

What exactly is "too low"? I have TEIN springs and blistein shocks and it rides very well and site 4.5" off ground at door bottom.
Is this too low or standard?
I wouldn't know the difference I guess....

The Bor-Chuann Suspension Company makes the kits for D2, Megan, Apexi and Fortune Auto, as well as many shocks and struts for OEM manufacturers. The difference is that a few years ago, BC was not pleased with the quality issues in the Megans, D2 and Apexi lines, so they started offering their own "BC Racing" brand built in their factory to their quality and performance specifications. Moreover, since 2006-07, BC has revised and updated their kits based on feedback from actual customers. The BR kit sold today contains all of these updates and is universally acclaimed for its reliability and durability. BC advised me they have not had a single warranty claim for the NSX kit. This, along with other research allayed my fears regarding quality. Country of origin has little to do with quality these days, as everything is outsourced by everyone. Instead, you have to do your homework on the company itself.

The Bor-Chuann Suspension Company makes the kits for D2, Megan, Apexi and Fortune Auto, as well as many shocks and struts for OEM manufacturers. The difference is that a few years ago, BC was not pleased with the quality issues in the Megans, D2 and Apexi lines, so they started offering their own "BC Racing" brand built in their factory to their quality and performance specifications. Moreover, since 2006-07, BC has revised and updated their kits based on feedback from actual customers. The BR kit sold today contains all of these updates and is universally acclaimed for its reliability and durability. BC advised me they have not had a single warranty claim for the NSX kit. This, along with other research allayed my fears regarding quality. Country of origin has little to do with quality these days, as everything is outsourced by everyone. Instead, you have to do your homework on the company itself.

Paul...Thanks for your opinion...I just ordered the Umbrella VRH kit with BC coilovers!!! You pushed me over the top.

Country of origin has little to do with quality these days, as everything is outsourced by everyone. Instead, you have to do your homework on the company itself.
Agreed. In this global economy it's difficult to take the easy route like we did in the past and make overarching assumptions based on where a product is made. We have to do our homework. The level of quality can be determined by doing company specific research.

I'm the biggest patriot there is and ultimately I hope the global competition makes American made products better and cheaper.

Sorry for the tangent gents! Moda, I didn't mean to reference you per say. Sorry about that.

:D My wife commented when I opened the box: "They look sick even to my non-car person girl eyes!" lol

Swift1.jpg

Swift3.jpg

Swift5.jpg

Last edited:
Darko

DSC00109.jpg

Your car is so clean. Nice coilovers.

If I want to track my Nsx every other week should I consider get a set of BC coilovers or save some money kw v3?? I'm currently running HKS hypermax II ( not very cheap but idk of they are better than a set of kw or not )

HKS coilovers are fine, people put too much emphasis into coilovers when it comes down to set-up and the driver.

an acquaintance of mine tore up the competition with $1000 APEXi coilovers. he ran Time Attack FWD Unlimited class... took 2nd place in his class and took the fastest NA record with a CRX at buttonwillow. he says people hate on him all the time because their coilovers cost more than his whole car.

im not saying more expensive coilovers aren't better, but you can do a lot with cheap coilovers... assuming they aren't improperly valved junk that falls apart on you.

If I want to track my Nsx every other week should I consider get a set of BC coilovers or save some money kw v3?? I'm currently running HKS hypermax II ( not very cheap but idk of they are better than a set of kw or not )
For the track i'd rather keep the HKS than the other choices. However, both the BC and the KW3 should ride better on the street (or get big sway bars with these last two and/or stiffer springs). However, at the end of the day a lot of it is preference. Real good drivers can be super fast on the stock setup.

Last edited:
Thank you!
No rain, no mud, no nothing except sun here... :smile:

Yeah, I cant get over how clean that is either... its like watching the car garage shows on the weekend where they do work on pristine vehicles and make it look 10x easier and cleaner than it ever really is.

HKS Hypermax are excellent track coilovers and you should keep them. They are probably a step up from BC.

HKS coilovers are fine, people put too much emphasis into coilovers when it comes down to set-up and the driver.

an acquaintance of mine tore up the competition with $1000 APEXi coilovers. he ran Time Attack FWD Unlimited class... took 2nd place in his class and took the fastest NA record with a CRX at buttonwillow. he says people hate on him all the time because their coilovers cost more than his whole car.

im not saying more expensive coilovers aren't better, but you can do a lot with cheap coilovers... assuming they aren't improperly valved junk that falls apart on you.

APEXi are built by BC. ;) I totally agree it is 80% driver 20% gear. I have been tracking and AutoX since I was 16 years old, and every time, without fail, there is "that guy" who shows up. You track and AutoX folks know who I'm talking about. "That guy" has a $6,000 triple adjustable Penske race suspension that he will tell you all about. He has a hand-built race engine, stripped out interior with a cage and a carbon-kevlar race seat. His car is top of the line everything, right down to the titanium lug nuts. Titanium fu#king lug nuts. This car usually shows up on an immaculate trailer. Somehow though, every time, "that guy" ends up on the bottom of the time sheets. He does this through a display of herky-jerky driving, spins, and general chaos. And, every time, he has an excuse. "oh, my tires were not up to temp," "oh, my ECU maps were off for this temperature," "oh, my suspension dampning was set up wrong for this course." No, buddy. You have a $75,000 race car and you have no f$&king clue how to drive it. When I see "that guy" coming up in my rearview, I point him right by every time because that sh%t ain't gonna end well and I don't want it anywhere near me. :cool: I love it when he comes up to you after you place 2nd or 3rd to his 18th and asks about what suspension you have. I bet his look was priceless when your friend told him "APEXi". :D

For the track i'd rather keep the HKS than the other choices. However, both the BC and the KW3 should ride better on the street (or get big sway bars with these last two and/or stiffer springs). However, at the end of the day a lot of it is preference. Real good drivers can be super fast on the stock setup.

Every time I think about super modding my NSX, I think back to that video of Gan San ripping a stock NA1 NSX around the ring. He looked pretty fast to me. ;)

what do you guys think about the Ksport Pro Circuit dampers?? they also have an inverted monotube set ups. Is better have a separate oil reservoir on your coilovers??

here is the link.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/ksport-circuit-damper-system-acura-9005-p-116115.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Only if you track regularly. As the damper piston moves up and down during driving, it generates heat through friction. Eventually this heat buildup heats the damper oil, which can reduce the performance of the damper since the resistance through the piston/valves changes with the hot, thinner oil.

External reservoirs povide a greater volume of damper fluid, which takes longer to heat up. Also, by inverting the damper, you move the fluid away from the hot brakes, further improving cooling. This will give you more consistent shock performance over a longer run time.

The only time you will ever see temps high enough for this to matter is at the track after many consecutive hot laps.

FOr that matter he probably didn't even need any coil overs. There are drivers that I've seen that can rape with a stock S-10 truck on a track environment when thrown in the mix of *name that modified import car*.

Back