• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

best option for SC

Decided to take the SC plunge. Have a 91 with 70K miles with CT exhaust/test pipes no other external mods.
My goal is nothing too crazy or fancy. Just want the minimum mods(SC stock boost) to gain more hp without getting too complicated and trouble free mechanically. Basically I want to keep up with those C5(Z06) around my neck of the woods.
Need advice:
1. Best SC out there for price and reliability
2. What other parts do I absolutely need to to make the SC run trouble free (AEM, IC, etc...)
3. What should be my budget? Must move quick wifey is thinking about having a baby.
Or any other suggestions.

Thanks

I live in AZ and 40min from SOS.

I have the SOS SC and it's the best NSX vendor solution one to date as a full kit.

I went with the Driving Ambition IC.

Go with the AEM EMS and not the FIC.

The EMS will grow with ur mods and has more safety.

I and another NSX with turbos both lost out engine with the FIC.

After more research and discussions the EMS was what should have been the route.

You should do a search on CTSC, SOS SC, BBSC. Many of the folks who are happy with their setup no longer care to answer posts since it's all been regurgitated to death. It's in your best interest to search the pages of prime and fall to your own conclusions. Otherwise, you'll just get comments from people who are avid fans of their own setups which will may or may not skew your decision.

Lots of happy people are out driving their cars and have commented in old posts.

I have the CT and no doubt would get the SOS. Its a better set up without a doubt. It has a larger compressor and is more efficient

yes, i read most of the other threads on SC system.
basicallylly, my question is other than an AEM EMS; do I need anything else for a low boost SC system to run efficiently?
I know sky is the limit, but just want to budget before it becomes a sinking hole.
Thanks

yes, i read most of the other threads on SC system.
basicallylly, my question is other than an AEM EMS; do I need anything else for a low boost SC system to run efficiently?
I know sky is the limit, but just want to budget before it becomes a sinking hole.
Thanks

In low boost (under .5 bar) FIC should suffice.

But to be on the safe side I would recommend the EMS regardless of boost. It's my understanding that it has better monitors and reaction time if there are issues that may cost u an engine.

CTSC is a great set up, but for the money the SOS SC seems like a better route to go.

In low boost (under .5 bar) FIC should suffice.

But to be on the safe side I would recommend the EMS regardless of boost. It's my understanding that it has better monitors and reaction time if there are issues that may cost u an engine.

While the F/IC can be used on an OBDI ECU it was never designed for that and if you decide to go that route you will need to make sure your tuner (SOS is recommended since you are so close) knows the F/IC very well and can draw from their F/IC and OBDII expierience to tune your 91. If it will not kill the budget I would do the AEM Series 2 ECU on an OBDI car.

Dave

Thanks everyone for the comments.
I had the tb and wp done. For a 91, do I need a new fuel pump or just ask the tuner/mechanic for his opinion?

I had the tb and wp done. For a 91, do I need a new fuel pump or just ask the tuner/mechanic for his opinion?
FWIW you being in close proximity to SOS and you not needing CARB approval in CA i'd choose the SOS SC too.

And... you're mechanic/tuner will say you will need a new fuel pump.

Glad 2 hear most of thr people choose sos but im a proud ownwer of BBSC
love it very reliable (im using aem ecm)and ubbelievable the sound-torque and power ...i would of never decide to sell if i wasnt going turbo

Truth here.

bang for buck, bbsc can't be beat, period. For $4-5k you'd get a FULLY outfitted, aftercooled system capable of 400-440 rwhp safely. I forgot about that option, thought you were looking for new systems

Glad 2 hear most of thr people choose sos but im a proud ownwer of BBSC
love it very reliable (im using aem ecm)and ubbelievable the sound-torque and power ...i would of never decide to sell if i wasnt going turbo
I thought you can't buy one of.those new anymore?

U will have to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors.

All of that is included in the SOS SC kit.

Sorry to rain on your parade but a C5 Z06 runs, 11.6 1/4 mile. No way a low boost SC can keep up. You will have to go high boost and dyno about 425-450rwhp to run with or beat that car. You may want to take a drive in a low boost, a high boost and even SOS twin turbo before you plunk down that type of cash.

Also, it's none of my business but babies are very stressfull and cost a bunch to boot! Unless you happen to be married to a motorhead, dumping money in your car and pissing off your wife is probably not a good move.

Best of luck with whatever you descide. Also budget for a clutch with anything over 350rwhp.

Sorry to rain on your parade but a C5 Z06 runs, 11.6 1/4 mile. No way a low boost SC can keep up. You will have to go high boost and dyno about 425-450rwhp to run with or beat that car.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the C5 Z06 runs low-mid 12s 1/4 mile. (You're probably thinking of the C6 Z06). Car and Driver got 12.4 @ 116mph in their 2002 C5 Z06.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C5_Z06#Performance

Also SOS claims in their ad for the SOS S/C that you can expect the performance to be on par with a C5 Z06

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/supercharger/

SOS said:
Based on power/weight, the system on a factory engine is capable of mid 4 second 0-60 mph times and low to mid 12 second quarter mile times (comparable to Corvette C5 Z06). With a built engine, the potential is greatly increased.

Last edited:
Car and Driver recorded a 0-60 mph time of 3.6 seconds and 1/4 mile in 11.8 seconds at 122 mph in March 2007.

Only reason why a Z06 would do 12's is from a lack of traction or heat soaked.

That would be a c6 z06, not a c5

Sorry to rain on your parade but a C5 Z06 runs, 11.6 1/4 mile. No way a low boost SC can keep up. You will have to go high boost and dyno about 425-450rwhp to run with or beat that car. You may want to take a drive in a low boost, a high boost and even SOS twin turbo before you plunk down that type of cash.

Also, it's none of my business but babies are very stressfull and cost a bunch to boot! Unless you happen to be married to a motorhead, dumping money in your car and pissing off your wife is probably not a good move.

Best of luck with whatever you descide. Also budget for a clutch with anything over 350rwhp.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2001-chevrolet-corvette-z06-road-test-great-improvements-page-2
Our test car's engine, with just 1400 miles on it, accelerated to 60 mph in 4.3 seconds and covered the quarter-mile in 12.7 seconds at 113 mph. That makes this Z06 half a second quicker than the fastest C5 we've ever tested

Now they did go up to 405hp after.

So why do you think a 400hp crank hp Ctsc NSX is going to be smoked by a c5 zo6? And why on earth would you need 450rwhp to beat a 405 hp crank zo6?

Seriously though, comparing a sc NSX to a c5 zo6 is silly because a lightly modded c5 z06 will smoke nearly any NSX. A supercharged zo6 is a beast that only a few highly modded NSX can match. And the c5 is pretty bulletproof for motors - NSX.... Not so much.

Last edited:
That would be a c6 z06, not a c5

The lowest elapsed time reported in a 405 hp Z06 of 11.783 seconds at 116.90 mph seconds was recorded by Jarrod Cunningham at Houston Raceway Park on January 10, 2004.

GM High Tech and Performance Magazine recorded 1/4 mile times of 11.97 seconds at 118.80 mph in their October 2004 issues for a 2004 Z06.

The lowest elapsed time reported in a 405 hp Z06 of 11.783 seconds at 116.90 mph seconds was recorded by Jarrod Cunningham at Houston Raceway Park on January 10, 2004.

GM High Tech and Performance Magazine recorded 1/4 mile times of 11.97 seconds at 118.80 mph in their October 2004 issues for a 2004 Z06.

So you want to compare the FASTEST TIME EVER RECORDED to any old ctsc nsx?

Back