• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best place to advertise car?

I was wondering if anyone has any preference on where to buy/sell a car? Any experience/stories? I've posted an ad here on NSX prime - maybe that's good enough?

I'm considering posting an ad on Autotrader.com and/or Cars.com. Would rather just post one one rather than both.

Any tips? I'm not in a rush to sell the car, but would like to get adequate exposure.

.jeremy

I just sold my Audi, listed it on several Audi/VW forums, put a $40 ad in the autotrader, etc.

All of my calls but two were from a free ad in craigslist. From two calls from autotrader, one offered me $10k (I was asking $16500), and the other was a broker trying to sell my car. From online forums, I had a great deal of interest, but nobody went from emails to seeing the car in person. On craigslist, 3 people came to see the car, all made offers, and 1 bought the car for 15000.

This was last week, my ad in the autotrader is still running, but my phone has been silent. From this experience, craigslist was certainly the most effective, and it was free.

I'd vouch for craigslist. Watch the scammers, but overall, alot of eyes on the ads.

im suprised your lowball from from autotrader and not craigslist, too many times have had crazy lowballs from craigslist

but the more places advertized the better.

I would go:
#1 Here
#2 Craigslist
#3 eBay
#4 Autotrader
#5 anywhere else

The reason i say ebay is not to sell on ebay but you will get lots on interest and may be able to work a deal around that. Thats how i found my NSX.

I too would recommend Craigslist......I've sold cars, houses, you name it. Not sure why they don't charge a fee but I'm not complaining! :biggrin:

I'm trying to sell my Audi right now as well....

I've had the most luck with Autotrader, HOWEVER, I was getting called 3-4 times a week from brokerages trying to get me to sign up with them. That got kinda annoying.

I just recently put an ad in Craigslist, but no hits yet. To be fair, I have had the car on AutoTrader for almost 3 months now.

As it stands someone in Colorado says he's flying out to get the car...I'll believe it when I have the cash in my hand.

I think ebay has less hassle and intimacy with misguided questions. I have had luck with autotrader but depends on the car. I just got back from a carshow and it dose give nice exposure then again depends on the car.

Thanks guys for the tip. I'm surprised no one commented on Cars.com. I believe it's where I located my NSX. All good recommendations. Craigs list, I don't know why but - I'm not surprised by the comment "Watch out for scammers." That's definitely how that site feels to me - then again, it's something to be concerned with whereever you do a sale.

Got mine on Craigslist. I almost got one off Dupont registry

Is this still the consensus for advertising an NSX?
#1 NSXPrime
#2 Craigslist
#3 eBay
#4 Autotrader
#5 anywhere else

Where would these fit in?
Hemmings
Cars.com
NSXTrader.com
NSXTraderOnline.com
Local newspaper
Autoexotic.com
Dupont Registry

The Sunday NY Times is also good. There are usually enthusiasts looking for rare cars who read it, and I've sold a few rare cars advertised in the Times.

Depend on what type of car. I don't know about you guys, but I sold my last 3 Hondas with a sign in the windshield parked in front of my house. All 3 cars sold within 5 days from listing and all 3 cars were sold to gardeners working in the neighborhood. I have sold lots of other things through craig's list and ebay, but not cars. I did get lots of low ballers from craig's list for car listings which I did not reply to.

1) Dupont
2) Craigslist

Wait about 2 months, THEN put the car on Autotrader, Cars.com, and here.

My reasoning. People usually pay more on Dupont. You will find the same car advertised on Dupont for $10,000 - $15,000 more just because the owner thinks that Dupont will pull more. I just picked up a C4S and it was listed on both Autotrader and Dupont. The dealership assumed that I found the car on Dupont (which I initially did) and quoted me the Dupont price. I quickly informed them that I saw the car on autotrader for less and they changed their tune.

The reason why I stated Craigslist AND Dupont is because usually Dupont shoppers aren't Craigslist shoppers so they won't see the cheaper ad. You'll be hitting two totally different demographics.

Secondly, there are NOT a lot of NSX's on Dupont so you may have a large response because you will be competing against fewer cars like your own.

So don't mess up like the dealer did. Advertise on Dupont and high ball and don't list any where else. All you have to do is write a fuckin long ass narrative about the history of the car and your life and people think that it's worth more. Add to that, picks of the car inside a show room or in front of a $15,000,000 house and you may have an extra $10,000 in your pocket.

If Dupont doesn't work, then put the car on the other places in a couple of months.

Autotrader just came through for me. We sold our S6 to a guy in Colorado just the other day.

The whole time the car was in AutoTrader, I was getting calls from smaller listing agents that wanted me to sign up with them. That was annoying.

Back