• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

bilstein shocks stock springs, or tein s tech springs stock shocks?

:I guys. My last nsx I ran Bilstein shocks with stock springs. I liked the ride, but I'm thinking of maybe going with Tein S tech springs with stock shocks. I believe as far as ride height goes, the teins will give me more of an even drop. I noticed when I ran Bilsteins, the rear was a tad higher than the front. Also, how do teins feel? I liked the feel of the Bilsteins, felt close to stock, but also gave me a nice subtle drop, though the rear sat a bit higher. Your thoughts

Bat

I have noticed that the teins are a bit higher in front , the best setup is probably to have the bilsteins machined with a few extra grooves to allow adjustability , if not then you will be stuck with how the teins look , they will settle over time but this takes a while , I have installed at least 6 sets of s-techs in NSX's and they all seem to have the same drop ( the targas might sit a bit lower.

As far as ride quality the s-techs ride pretty much like stock , maybe a bit stiffe but not very noticeable.

I have tein s techs and the front does sit higher than the back like oem. The drop is very conservative @ 3/4 of an inch, and the ride is slightly harder than stock. ( exactly as angus describes it )

I have tein s techs and the front does sit higher than the back like oem. The drop is very conservative @ 3/4 of an inch, and the ride is slightly harder than stock. ( exactly as angus describes it )

The rear should sit higher than the front.

really? hmmmm I must've gotten used to seeing how the teins sit that i forgot how it sat stock. I seem to see quit a few stock photos where the front seems to sit higher than the rear. It must've been just me.

bat,
the stock shocks suck. they are too hard on little bumps and too soft on bigger bumps. Put the bilsteins on lower perch with your stock springs.

i did this on my 05 and it made me wonder why i spent so much money on coilovers on my nsx-r replica.

tom

IMG_5020.JPG

IMG_5024.JPG

If I could do it again, I would go with the bilsteins.

bat,
the stock shocks suck. they are too hard on little bumps and too soft on bigger bumps. Put the bilsteins on lower perch with your stock springs.

i did this on my 05 and it made me wonder why i spent so much money on coilovers on my nsx-r replica.

tom

Tom,
How much did the bilsteins lower the car ? I just put on 05 shocks and springs and it actually sits higher than stock - I have a 91. It is firmer on little bumps and looser on bigger bumps - I've noticed that! I've been thinking of lowering springs on my stock shocks - maybe I should be thinking bilsteens on the lower perch to lower the car. Would this give me the forward rake?(lower in front than in back) Thanks.

Good stuff here guys. There's another thread I started on Track Talk and Billy chimed in - it's about coil over comparos - ways to lower the car without getting too firm a ride - you might want to check that out if you haven't already.

Tim - Just do the Swifts! ;) If you were closer I'd let you drive my car, which has Comptech springs at nearly the same rates as the Swifts. Trust me you will love them.

Bat- IIRC, the Bilsteins are slightly firmer than OEM on compression, so your OEM shocks with lowering springs may be a little smoother ride.

Tom,
How much did the bilsteins lower the car ? I just put on 05 shocks and springs and it actually sits higher than stock - I have a 91. It is firmer on little bumps and looser on bigger bumps - I've noticed that! I've been thinking of lowering springs on my stock shocks - maybe I should be thinking bilsteens on the lower perch to lower the car. Would this give me the forward rake?(lower in front than in back) Thanks.

Good stuff here guys. There's another thread I started on Track Talk and Billy chimed in - it's about coil over comparos - ways to lower the car without getting too firm a ride - you might want to check that out if you haven't already.

Tom,

The lower perch on the Bilstein shocks lower the car approximately 0.875" (7/8")

I'd recommend the Bilstein shocks with OEM shocks as others have if that drop is sufficient.

Tim - Just do the Swifts! ;) If you were closer I'd let you drive my car, which has Comptech springs at nearly the same rates as the Swifts. Trust me you will love them.

+1 ;)

Also Tim, with the Swift you're sure to keep the rake. .8"F/.6"R drop

In like a dual shock setup? AWESOME!!! :wink:

You guys are killin me....lol. I like the dual shocks too - yessss. I loved your response Honch - ok I'm comin to NY in the spring....get ready and get your sticks out - do you play golf - I didn't ask - just assumed - but with a baby on the way - probably would dig into the car budget too much. Ok so I'll just come up and drive your car. That's great! Thanks all you guys. Sorry if I hi jacked this thread. Back on track.....:wink:

Tim,

If I can fit my sticks AND an overnight bag you can drive my car if I get a chance to get it down to McDonough this year. Then you can feel the Swifts on OEM shocks and TREAT ME to a round! :)

Problem is, usually when I head to McDonough, that means kids are with me....which mean no NSX! :( I'll have to figure something out to go visit my father sans children.

If you make it up this way, I'll treat you, as I live on the 11th Tee Box of a local club! :D

Tim,

If I can fit my sticks AND an overnight bag you can drive my car if I get a chance to get it down to McDonough this year. Then you can feel the Swifts on OEM shocks and TREAT ME to a round! :)

Problem is, usually when I head to McDonough, that means kids are with me....which mean no NSX! :( I'll have to figure something out to go visit my father sans children.

If you make it up this way, I'll treat you, as I live on the 11th Tee Box of a local club! :D

Hey Rob, I used to go down to McDonough a lot for golf. Cotton Fields is down there and a little course called Green Valley which has since been destroyed for housing and stuff. You come down and we'll get together for sure - with or without your car! That would be great - you can come over and do some personal cheffing....:biggrin: I'll buy the goodies and you can drive mine.

I have some recent pictures

75743_10150311033480545_710940544_15435958_1620769_n.jpg

37130_10150311038900545_710940544_15435984_2558254_n.jpg

149252_10150311038910545_710940544_15435985_7891600_n.jpg

/hphotos-ak-snc4/37130_10150311038900545_710940544_15435984_2558254_n.jpg

150028_10150310997195545_710940544_15435666_2369091_n.jpg

As you can see in some pictures, the front sit a hair higher, but when your in the passenger seat, the height is perfect. I also removed the spare tire which took some weight off the front too.

Why not go with the Megan Coilovers, they are almost the same price as the Bilsteins and allow for adjustments in ride height?

The front sitting higher doesn't look very sporty IMO. What is the swift set up? Is the general consensus that bilsteins with stock shocks will do an even 0.875 front and rear?

And this is as it should be. A few years back, Shad from Driving Ambition posted a very informative comment regarding something called Rake. As I understand it, rake is the difference in ride height bewteen the front and rear of the car. According to Shad, it should be about 0.5 inches in the NSX, meaning the front of the car should sit 0.5 inches lower than the rear. This apparently has important consequences for high speed stability. Therefore, cosmetic springs that have a stated goal of "evening the wheel gap front to rear" are not so great for your NSX at 100+ mph, since the front can end up higher than the rear! :eek: It might look nice, but I'd stay off the track. :)

Performance lowering springs like the Swifts or Comptech make sure to preserve the factory rake.

the rear will sit slightly higher on bilsteins.

B@t™

Honcho is absolutely correct about the rake that is built into the OEM spring/shock set up. Needs to be maintained - Porsche has a similar set up.

If you have the bucks a good coil over suspension that offers adjustability is better! The V3s are also a good choice from what I understand from those that race. Billy for one. Coz for another.

Swifts and Bilstiens is the way I'm going cause it is inexpensive and will still give me the performance that I'm looking for. Although if I had the bucks it would be V3s for me. A good tire is going to make a lot of difference too. Some would also say you can take the bilsteins and set them on the lower perch with the stock shocks and if I'm correct the car you are buying is fairly late model so you may have shocks that are just fine. The only thing about the bilsteins on the lower perch is the amount that your car will be lowered. It's more dramatic than the Swifts and bilsteins on the standard perch and so you can surely expect more scraping! If you can live with that - you can make your choices.

Good luck - great new car, btw!

Back