• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Blew a coolant hose

Happened last night around midnight.

Luckily, I was close enough to an Advance that fabbing up a replacement hose was no big deal, and I was up and running in a half hour.

I have 62K miles on my car and I thought that all the hoses had been replaced, but evidently I was mistaken. :mad:

The hose that blew was a 1.5" diameter hose to the left and slightly fore and below the intake plenum. It has a twin that sits next to it. Left a 1.5" gash.

Having said that, should I be looking at replacing all of the hoses in the car? I'd be trying to do as many as I could myself.

I have downloaded a factory service manual, so it should be no biggie.

I was just very fortunate it happened where it did.

Having said that, should I be looking at replacing all of the hoses in the car? I'd be trying to do as many as I could myself.

I have downloaded a factory service manual, so it should be no biggie.

I may be wrong, but from what I understand it is a pain in the butt to change all of your hoses, and very time consuming.

Had a similar experience but I also was lucky as I was sitting at home! From there I decided to replace all the engine bay hoses. It was quite an easy job and wasnt too expensive and I purchased OEM hoses. Hardest part of the job is working with the OEM hose clips. I'm planning on doing the rest of the hoses now.

Just don't rush yourself, I think you will do just fine. This will be my Winter project as well while my NSX is sitting on the jack stands :smile:

While we're on the topic, have any of the vendors put together a hose kit that includes all of them? I know mine in the 97 have never been done and even though it only has 39K miles, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'll be putting it away for winter after the end of October and have plenty of time and space to work on it so may tackle it myself.

Dali has the whole coolant hose set ( 22 hoses ) for $278.

Mark just sold his last in stock on Friday and he's piecing together my order from today ( despite what some say on this site about the vendor ).

None of the other guys have the entire set ( I think ) and I'm planning on doing all the engine bay hoses next week.

penguin.gif

I have most of the 22 hoses, except for the 7-8 main ones. After changing the 7th hoses, I discovered that my hoses were replaced already. The old ones were just as soft/firm as the new ones and no signs of cracks, stress and the white dot and the lettering was as good as new. So, I stopped at 7 hoses. I have the other 14-15 other hoses still sealed in OEM Honda package. I may return them to Acura Dealership. Be sure to use a lot of lube and get a "L" shaped pick from Auto Zone.

Car's up in the air and ready to drain and do this thing.

Now I'm just waiting on hoses... :frown:

Car's up in the air and ready to drain and do this thing.

Now I'm just waiting on hoses... :frown:

Most of the hoses are best changed while the car in on the ground. Not going to get too many underneath the car. Good Luck!! Don't forget get to bleed the fluid at 3 separate value points or air pockets will cause over heating during long drives or stop and go traffic.

"When in doubt, change it OUT"

Last edited:
I have 62K miles on my car and I thought that all the hoses had been replaced, but evidently I was mistaken. :mad:

Uh oh, now I'm getting nervous...I just passed 80k and I don't think my hoses ever have been done either... :frown:

Most of the hoses are best changed while the car in on the ground. Not going to get too many underneath the car. Good Luck!! Don't forget get to bleed the fluid at 3 separate value points or air pockets will cause over heating during long drives or stop and go traffic.

"When in doubt, change it OUT"

I'm following the factory service manual's direct instructions on doing this so I don't mess up.

It includes kind of a "check" bleeding where certain bleed points are closed first before others, and then filled a little more, and then bled out of a certain point again. The manual says there are 4 bleeds and 5 points where the coolant drains. :eek: I'd hate to have to change the thermostat in this thing.

I can see at least 3 that will have to be changed solely from the bottom of the car, and the lower radiator hoses will be much easier to take off if I can get under the car.

Ran into a problem draining the coolant.

The front cylinder bank drain is WAYYYYY up there. It wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that I have headers which reduces the space I would have been able to utilize to zero.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to get a swivel or pivot socket and a long extension.

The rear bank looks to be pretty simple. The manual states that you should fit a rubber hose over the drain valve and then loosen and drain that way.

This car takes alot of coolant :eek:. I've drained off over 10 Qts so far and I haven't started on the block. Per the manual, the car (1991) has a 17 Qt capacity with expansion tank.

After getting acquainted with the bottom of the car, changing the oil's going to be extremely easy.

Back