• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Blown Head Gasket

My car is getting the hydrocarbon test done today. :frown:

The NA1 OEM gaskets are shite. My understanding is it's a question of when, not if, they'll die - especially if you have an old, stuck thermostat.

Yes it's a painful and expensive surgery, but take the opportunity to upgrade to an NA2 OEM gasket or an aftermarket steel gasket and make your engine happy for life.

What you need is a competent mechanic who has a lot of experience rebuilding engines. If you can find one with experience rebuilding NSX engines, so much the better.

Unfortunately, nowadays many dealer techs have a lot of experience replacing component assemblies, but not with rebuilding them. This is an "old time" skill that many younger mechanics may not have experience with.

In my case, I was fortunate because the dealer mechanic who has worked on my NSX for the past 20+ years has this kind of experience (he had rebuilt engines and trannies in other NSXs) and was able to diagnose whether my engine needed just the top end replaced or also the bottom end (turned out to be both). He was totally capable of rebuilding my engine, but replacing it with a used engine was the most cost-effective option (saved me $3-5K over rebuilding).

I'm not saying yours needs rebuilding or replacing, but I'm saying you need a mechanic who knows how to do both and can determine what options are feasible and the cost for each.

Oh, and if this were a car that I wanted to sell, at a minimum I would still take it to a qualified mechanic (with the rebuild experience noted above) to get a good idea of what those options are and how much they would cost. Then you can decide whether or not to get it fixed before selling. Otherwise you're probably going to have to discount the car by significantly more than it would cost to fix it, to take account of the uncertainty in doing so. I know this is probably not good news for you, but your car's value dropped by thousands of dollars when it overheated. At this point all you can do is examine your options, including fixing it before selling it as well as selling it as is. (Kudos to you for the full disclosure in your attempts to sell it.)

Last edited:
...Otherwise you're probably going to have to discount the car by significantly more than it would cost to fix it, to take account of the uncertainty in doing so...
Correct. For a potential buyer there's nothing more discouraging than a car that went bad where the seller determined to get wrid of it than repairing it. It's better to repair it and sell it. But by now as we 'all on prime' know :) the potential buyer of the car will have a closer look if the repair has been done by a reputable shop or if it was a cheapo-fix.

Good luck!

Ken,

Are you saying I am old???:D:D:D

The NA1 OEM gaskets are shite. My understanding is it's a question of when, not if, they'll die - especially if you have an old, stuck thermostat.

This statement is just not true, NA1 gaskets are not a cronic issue at all, only when you blow a hose and the engine overheats with no coolant in the block. Since typical NSX 3.0 engines are alive and well in the 100K mile + range, NA1 OEM head gaskets are pretty damn good. Also typically thermostats get stuck OPEN, not closed, which would cause the engine to run cool, and not overheat and blow a head gasket.

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
What you need is a competent mechanic who has a lot of experience rebuilding engines. If you can find one with experience rebuilding NSX engines, so much the better.

Unfortunately, nowadays many dealer techs have a lot of experience replacing component assemblies, but not with rebuilding them. This is an "old time" skill that many younger mechanics may not have experience with.

In my case, I was fortunate because the dealer mechanic who has worked on my NSX for the past 20+ years has this kind of experience (he had rebuilt engines and trannies in other NSXs) and was able to diagnose whether my engine needed just the top end replaced or also the bottom end (turned out to be both). He was totally capable of rebuilding my engine, but replacing it with a used engine was the most cost-effective option (saved me $3-5K over rebuilding).

I'm not saying yours needs rebuilding or replacing, but I'm saying you need a mechanic who knows how to do both and can determine what options are feasible and the cost for each.

Oh, and if this were a car that I wanted to sell, at a minimum I would still take it to a qualified mechanic (with the rebuild experience noted above) to get a good idea of what those options are and how much they would cost. Then you can decide whether or not to get it fixed before selling. Otherwise you're probably going to have to discount the car by significantly more than it would cost to fix it, to take account of the uncertainty in doing so. I know this is probably not good news for you, but your car's value dropped by thousands of dollars when it overheated. At this point all you can do is examine your options, including fixing it before selling it as well as selling it as is. (Kudos to you for the full disclosure in your attempts to sell it.)

i am working on creating an open dialogue with my local dealer in hopes of getting an honest assessment not only about my car but also about the mechanic. due to where i am located i am guessing they don't come across many NSXs....i know i never see them on the road. i have been taking my cars there for 20+ years and have always had positive experiences but since we are talking about a major repair to my NSX I want to make sure it gets done right.....not only for me but whoever owns it after me. and yes the hard decision is figuring out selling it as is or fixing. i have the time and money to do either but figured if someone else was truly interested in owning it now would be the best time....well not the best time for me for resale value but if i get it fixed its going to be hard for me to imagine selling.

and like i said in working with dealer and asking questions that have been mentioned in this thread.....so i am sure i will have more to post in the near future and will be seeking more advice.

Ok after talking to dealer here is where i stand.

They did a hydrocarbon test and also put dye in coolant and found it in the oil which led to the blown HG diagnosis. They have not done an HG fix on an NSX in many years and basically said he understood my concerns and recommended a place locally that is a high performance engine service. ok i am not sure of the msg board rules about asking about a company (so mod please feel free to delete if i this a violation). they are called Hesco and are located in Bham Alabama. I was told they have a lot of experience with this type of thing and are the best in town. Anyone heard anything about them? And would this be a decent option even if they dont have certified NSX tech or should i only go with NSX tech?

NSX tech isn't a must a competent engine builder used to DOHC V engines should do the job, it isn't rocket science, a experienced/competent Honda engine builder is good as well.
But it isn't something I'd have a run of the mill mechanic do.

Larry is right about the head gasket on the NA1, nothing wrong with it.
The only C-Series engine some what vulnerable to blowing a head gasket is C32A (3.2L Legend) and that isn't the actual head gasket as root of the issue (egr, maintenance.. long story)

Last edited:
NSX tech isn't a must a competent engine builder used to DOHC V engines should do the job, it isn't rocket science, a experienced/competent Honda engine builder is good as well.
But it isn't something I'd have a run of the mill mechanic do.

Larry is right about the head gasket on the NA1, nothing wrong with it.
The only C-Series engine some what vulnerable to blowing a head gasket is C32A (3.2L Legend) and that isn't the actual head gasket as root of the issue (egr, maintenance.. long story)

Having been down the same road as you, mine was last year. Quoting Larry B, never saw an NSX that lost coolant resulting in overheating which didn't warp the heads. The heads can usually be repaired. The only issue will be whether you had washing of your cylinder walls with secondary scoring by the pistons. The antifreeze can wash the oil off of the cylinder walls. Not rocket science to dissassemble the motor but if you need cylinder work, definitely more machine shops have caused problems than not.

If the only problem is head gaskets and possibly warped heads that can be repaired, would repair. If any issues of cylinders, I would go looking for another motor unless you want to do a low compression build for FI which is what I did. Regardless, if you go for an engine rebuild of any type involving the short block, I would have them remove the engine and ship it to someone who has rebuilt the motors and more importantly, has a good relationship with the machine shop. My .02

If you're in Birmingham, there are at least a couple of well-regarded independent NSX techs in the Nashville area: Barney ("Barn Man" on this forum) did my head gaskets very reasonably when I blew one a year or so ago. There is also a fellow Dan at "Track.One" who also has extensive experience working on these cars. I suspect you'd come out well ahead even with the additional transport costs of getting the car there.

Last edited:
If you're in Birmingham, there are at least a couple of well-regarded independent NSX techs in the Nashville area: Barney ("Barn Man" on this forum) did my head gaskets very reasonably when I blew one a year or so ago. There is also a fellow Dan at "Track.1" who also has extensive experience working on these cars. I suspect you'd come out well ahead even with the additional transport costs of getting the car there.

+1
Since Nashville is ~200 hundred miles from Birmingham...
drag her up there on a trailer and have Barnman make it right

+1 to your disclosure and sharing the issue with other Primers

+1
Since Nashville is ~200 hundred miles from Birmingham...
drag her up there on a trailer and have Barnman make it right

+1 to your disclosure and sharing the issue with other Primers

Sounds like my two options are ship it to TN or use local shop (not dealer). TN gives me complete piece of mind but with being out of town does present some issues. The local shop who i have heard good things and also has a machine shop in house....and apparently a museum of automobiles and they have even invited me down to check out their shop. if nothing else might be nice to have a local place for other repairs. i realize ultimately it is my decision and i have to figure out what is important to me.....but i am open to any and all opinions.

Also i would like to personally thank Eiffell for taking the time to give me some well needed advice. I have already given your name to a couple of friends of mine that live in your area.

+100 to forum for helping me through this....

I see that you have removed your NSX from "The For Sale List". If you have not committed to a repair facility may I suggest EmpireAutoHaus in Pelham. Alan Appel,owner and Acura Factory Trainer has taken care of both of my NSX's for over 7 years with out the dealer drama. Phone 205-664-5757 (www.empireautohaus.com)

Post more and come to Barber Motor Sports Park with your car during any event! Car Coral parking is safe and right up front. Would love to to see you there. Birmingham Motoring Club is looking for new members as well!

cheers
rbd
The EDGE

I see that you have removed your NSX from "The For Sale List". If you have not committed to a repair facility may I suggest EmpireAutoHaus in Pelham. Alan Appel,owner and Acura Factory Trainer has taken care of both of my NSX's for over 7 years with out the dealer drama. Phone 205-664-5757 (www.empireautohaus.com)

Post more and come to Barber Motor Sports Park with your car during any event! Car Coral parking is safe and right up front. Would love to to see you there. Birmingham Motoring Club is looking for new members as well!

cheers
rbd
The EDGE

Yes i did remove it from the for sale list. I figured i would give someone else a shot of owning it but in the end it made more sense to get it fixed. and maybe i will relist but seeing how i bought the car with the intentions of keeping 1 year and 7 years later i still have her its not likely....but you never know.

I have already sent it to be fixed but appreciate the recommendation. I am always looking for a local place i can trust to take it.

i grew up with with guy that works at barbers and he has tried to get me to come check it out and sadly i have never done it but it is definitely on my things to do list.

thx again for the recommendation and good to know there are other NSX owners around....cause honestly i havent seen one on the road around here in years.

Yes we are out there but more than likely drive ours as much as you do.Current one is 91 Black/ivory and my buddies is Red/black. Your color combination is awesome. We are up near Logan Martin lake and frequent Highway 25(Vincent to Leeds). If you decide to re-list let me know, I may have a buyer for you. If you don't mind, can you tell me who is doing your repairs?

cheers
rbd
The EDGE

Thinking I now have other same problem and need some guidance.
I'm new Rhode Island and would rather keep this local but seriously considering sending it to SOS

I'm new Rhode Island and would rather keep this local but seriously considering sending it to SOS

Talk to LarryB for sure - he's in long island.

Mitch at Mechanics Direct in MA is much closer and same level of skill as Larry.

Talk to LarryB for sure - he's in long island.
Larry B is in Warwick, NY. That's in Orange County, northwest of NYC - not on Long Island, which is east of NYC.

Mitch at Mechanics Direct in MA is much closer and same level of skill as Larry.
From Providence, Mechanics Direct (in Lowell) is about 70 miles, Larry is about 200.

My apologies, not sure how that incorrect info snuck into my brain.

Decided to call Mitch. Waiting on car to be picked up and hoping for the best.
Thanks for the input and help.

Back