• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Boating in Your NSX

Greetings

I haven't posted in quite a while. We have had a significant amount of rain in Northern CA recently. We were coming home from brunch on MLK day. It was raining fairly hard with no traffic on the street. There was water all over the street. I hit a patch in a low spot and Black Beauty turned into a boat. The rear wheels threw water everywhere. The front end headed toward the curb since the right front wheel was the first to contact the deep water. The engine started to sputter with all of the water splashing around.

Just when all seemed lost, the left front contacted pavement and we were back onto the road. :) No damage, but a damn good scare. The engine ran a little rough for the next 5 minutes or so. We had a 15 minute drive to get home, so everything was dried out by the time we got there.

Cheers,
Martin

How are the tires on your car? Is the tread pretty deep? are they max performance dry weather tires? I got caught in a pretty bad downpour on 205(lots of standing water) and I was able to do about 45 miles per hour safely(same as the flow of traffic). Another NSX was right there with me(coming back from the bay area get together).

As for the rough running you may want to do the di-electric grease trick on the coils to keep the water out(on the rear cylinders at the very least). I didn't have any trouble during that downpour.

Glad to hear you made it home safely.

Is this your car here ?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nDrlWy6IAdM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nDrlWy6IAdM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Greetings

I have new tires, less than 1000 miles on them. I was driving too fast for the conditions, the water was just deep enough: it was the equivalent of a perfect storm.

Martin

Being in Florida, I've seen plenty of torrential downpours. I've taken my car through some pretty deep water, although not like in the video above, without so much as a sputter from the engine.

I just go slow and keep moving.

Greetings

Mine is black on black, but not that one. I have a G2 with fixed headlights. The driver knows how to drive in water -- crossing streams or rivers. The secret is to go fast enough that the water does not have time to flow into the compartments, but not so fast that you splash/spray it over everything and ground out the engine.

Cheers,
Martin

Back