• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Boo hoo. No more Bridgestone Potenza RE 050s for my NSX.

Just as an fyi, In the end if you can't get Bridgestones, you can move to the Dunlop Z1 Star Specs. They come in the stock 02-05 sizes. I run them on the street in a 17/18 setup and am very happy with them.

+2 on this, the KDW2 is a long lasting tire, although it is a decent choice in 18/19 sizes (due to lack of alternatives) - it is nowhere near the level of performance provided by the newer tires in the max performance category -

The RE-11 is phenomenal.

I will note that there is no 215/40/17, you may want to choose 205/45/17 and 255/40/17

The RE070 has no front size that is compatible.

I'm back looking at tires again, and thank you for ^that information. I don't see any Bridgestone model that has both the NSX OEM front and rear sizes. So, going with Bridgestone, which is what I plann on doing, no matter what tire I put on the rear this time, I'm not going to find the fronts in stock size (215/40R17) when I need to replace them.

So now I have to learn what those different numbers mean. In looking at this explanation: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=7 this is how I figure it:

Front OEM: 215/40/R17 equals 8.46" section width and 3.38" of section height (sidewall).

205/45R17 equals 8.1" section width and 3.63" of sidewall.

225/40/R17 equals 8.86" section width and ~4.0" of sidewall.

Seems like the 225/40R17 would be the best choice but I'm a newb at this. I just don't want a skinnier tire. This tire will work? That's an extra 1.2" of height inside the wheel well.

Thank you guys, for your help. I'm sure you get sick of answering questions that you know by heart.

Seems like the 225/40R17 would be the best choice but I'm a newb at this. I just don't want a skinnier tire. This tire will work?
No, that size will rub when you have the steering wheel turned.

Also, you say you want Bridgestone but Bridgestone doesn't make any tires that size.

Last edited:
In 215/40-17, there are some excellent "extreme performance" tires: the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08, and the Falken Azenis RT-615K. If you want a bit more treadlife and are willing to sacrifice a bit of ultimate traction, the Kumho Ecsta LE Sport is a good choice and is probably the closest you'll get to the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position in those sizes.

If you absolutely MUST get a Bridgestone brand tire, there are a couple of ways you could go. I don't know whether a 205/45-17 would rub; it might, it might not. (It's slightly narrower than stock, which helps, but slightly larger in diameter, which hurts.) The Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, which is the replacement for the RE050A PP and whose performance should be similar or better, is available in 205/45-17 and 255/40-17. Another Bridgestone alternative is the Potenza RE760 Sport, which is not as sticky as the S-04 PP or RE050A PP; the RE760 Sport is available in 205/45-17 (see above) or 205/40-17 (which would definitely NOT rub) and 255/40-17. Either of these front sizes (205/45-17 or 205/40-17) can be mounted on the stock '02-05 wheels and will work fine with the TCS on an '02-05 NSX.

In 215/40-17, there are some excellent "extreme performance" tires: the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08, and the Falken Azenis RT-615K. If you want a bit more treadlife and are willing to sacrifice a bit of ultimate traction, the Kumho Ecsta LE Sport is a good choice and is probably the closest you'll get to the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position in those sizes.

If you absolutely MUST get a Bridgestone brand tire, there are a couple of ways you could go. I don't know whether a 205/45-17 would rub; it might, it might not. (It's slightly narrower than stock, which helps, but slightly larger in diameter, which hurts.) The Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, which is the replacement for the RE050A PP and whose performance should be similar or better, is available in 205/45-17 and 255/40-17. Another Bridgestone alternative is the Potenza RE760 Sport, which is not as sticky as the S-04 PP or RE050A PP; the RE760 Sport is available in 205/45-17 (see above) or 205/40-17 (which would definitely NOT rub) and 255/40-17. Either of these front sizes (205/45-17 or 205/40-17) can be mounted on the stock '02-05 wheels and will work fine with the TCS on an '02-05 NSX.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :smile: Still mulling over it. The S goes first for new rears so I'll spend a lot more hours thinking about the NSX rears.

I keep forgetting that I'll probably be buying all four tires for the NSX when the rears I'm buying now, wear out. So with that in mind, I just ordered two RE-11s for the NSX (255/40R17-OEM) on Costco online. Their price was $227.99 each, plus, of course, CA State Tire Fee of $1.75 each, Tire Installation of $14.00 each, Tire Disposal of $1.00 each and CA sales tax.

While I was at it, I really need new rears for the S2000 so I ordered OEM RE050s.

I'll see if Costco really gets them all in. When I called a local tire shop, they said they'd have to call Bridgestone for availability and their prices were higher. Total cost for both pairs installed $1,056.41. Worth it for sure. I love great tires on my fun cars!

Just be aware that the RE-11 is stickier than the RE050A PP (at least, on dry pavement it is), so if you're mixing the two, you'll probably find that the car has a bit more understeer than previously.

Kyras if you can't get what you need I can sell you the rear tires I have for a deal, they are in great shape and should get you to the point when you buy all four. They should be very close to the model you have now as I think they were OEM equipment. Just PM me if interested, they are on spare wheels.

They should be very close to the model you have now as I think they were OEM equipment. Just PM me if interested, they are on spare wheels.
Just FYI - the original equipment tires on the 2002-05 NSX were indeed the Bridgestone Potenza RE040. They were designed specifically for the NSX, and were corner-specific (i.e. the right front tire was a different model number from the left front tire, and the same for the rears). They provided a great feel of handling precision, like all of the OEM tires over the NSX years. They have been discontinued but if you can find a set like these, they're a great choice.

The Potenza RE050A Pole Position was Bridgestone's "maximum performance summer tire", providing an aftermarket fitment for many luxury and performance car models (IOW not specific to individual car models the way some of their other model tires are, including the RE040). Bridgestone is now filling that market segment with the newer Potenza S-04 Pole Position.

Just be aware that the RE-11 is stickier than the RE050A PP (at least, on dry pavement it is), so if you're mixing the two, you'll probably find that the car has a bit more understeer than previously.

Thank you, again, Ken. I'll have to be more careful until I get a feel for the new setup.

one last hurrah...

I'm about to slap these Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Positions on my after-market 17/17 wheels. I always acquire an extra set of tires if I have a net positive experience w/ an existing particular make/model (namely: cost, performance, longevity). And those $100 rebates/cashcards make the purchase even sweeter.

My previous NSX had OEM stock suspension & then OEM Zanardi/Type-S suspension. So, running 205/45R17 (w/ 255/40R17) didn't rub. However, my current NSX has Tein RR coilovers & it is noticeably lowered- so I anticipate some "contact" w/ lock-to-lock turning. Hopefully, that will be all. Otherwise I may have to slightly alter my current ride-height.

I would think the newer Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Positions would be more-or-less swappable w/ the RE050A Pole Positions if in a pinch or a bind (as-in replace front-pair or replace rear pair). The category (Max Performance Summer), tread-pattern, Service Description (tire's load index and speed rating), Load Range (strength and ability to contain/maintain air-pressure), UTQG (relative treadlife/wear-ability), etc. all seem identical to the RE050A PPs.

On Tirerack.com I noted the S-04 PP's Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) Rating of 280 AA A, and the RE050A PP's had 140 A A. I believe they have it incorrect for the RE050A PP's as it should also be 280 AA A (what I noted on other tire e-retailer sites).

I get about ~10k from my RE050A PP rears (255/40R17) w/ the OEM Zanardi/Type-S suspension, original OEM-spec aligment settings, 38-40psi air-pressure, spirited year-round driving. They are generally evenly worn, and well past the wear-bars when at ~10k miles; obviously not recommended to ever drive in wet when at that point of wear.

Kyras, look forward to your feedback w/ the RE-11's (considering your history w/ the RE050A PP's). I do tire swaps about once-a-year, and I've always liked the "Max Performance Summer" offerings from Bridgestone; the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 being the one exception that I truly enjoyed motoring around w/.

Last edited:
^Oo, I'm jealous. I received an email from Costco that my tires are on the way. If they're coming from the Bridgestone warehouse in Nevada, I should have them on this week. We have a drive on Sunday, Nov 4th to Mount Palomar, CA (about 188 miles for me) so that'll be my first real use of them.

^You are correct, of course, Ken. I did find that the front end felt like it might wash out on the curves on the Nov. 4th Mt Palomar/Julian drive we did in So Cal. I mentioned it to Jonathan (Track Addict) and he let some air out of the front tires which helped.

Here's are some photos from Oct. 25, 2012 when I got the new tires put on.

I had rears (stock size RE 11s) installed that I ordered online at Costco. I also ordered RE 050s at the same time for rears on my S2000. I made an appt. to get the tires installed at Costco (Technology Dr, in Irvine). After they took off the old tires and old weights and put on the new tires, I got them to give me the wheels right there, so I could clean off the old glue from the old weights, before they put the new weights on. I used a razor blade and Goo Gone.

DSCN4164121025Cosctotireg.jpg

^There's my bucket of cleaners and a carpet to kneel on, to the left.

DSCN4166121026NSXwheel.jpg

^Before.

DSCN4169121025NSXwheel.jpg

^After.

DSCN4173121025NSXtire.jpg

^Great tires. Drove with them for the first time on the Palomar/Julian drive, on Nov. 4th. They are grippier than the RE 050s I still have on the fronts though, but once Jonathan (Track Addict) let some air out of the front tires, the grip felt more even.

Back