• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brand new rear bearing play

Before my last track day, I had to change the rear left wheel bearing. Normal as I had 6k track miles on this original bearing with slick tires.

After this last trackday, I realized that the right one was also going wrong. So I changed it recently. I check this new bearing and realized that the wheel has some play. Very slight but it has some play ! So I also checked the left one which is only one trackday old. I has a noticeable play !!!

The parts used are the SKF GRW233 bearings using the original NTN HUB098-13. To install them, I had to press the hub that I recovered from the original bearings in them. Did I do something wrong when pressing the hubs in the bearings and damage them ? I do not think. Did someone had this kind of problem with these rear wheel bearings ?

So finally after better inspection my wheel bearings are ok but my rear lower ball joints have play. So I have to take out the knuckle by poping out the upper ball-joint from the knuckle and the lower ball-joint from the arm ? And then ? Press the lower ball joint out of of knuckle ?

.......proper wording is everything.

These 2 "parts" are usually purchased together already as part of the "Bearing Assy., RR." - 42300-SL0-008.
When you say "hub", you should be referencing the "Hub Assy., RR." - 42600-SL0-010.

Did you remove the race that sometimes gets left behind after separating Bearing Assy from Hub Assy?

Balljoints are not straight forward in this car and there are no factory replacements, remember to take the bronze bushing off the original balljoint you will need it. Use the proper acura tool to prevent damaging the aluminum;
I believe there is a vendor that does this for you here, not sure if he is still active or not.

Last edited:
Poping out the ball-joint from the lower arm is not a proplem using the Honda tool I can borrow. Put after that, to get the ball joint out of the knuckle ? Use a C shape press ?

Poping out the ball-joint from the lower arm is not a proplem using the Honda tool I can borrow. Put after that, to get the ball joint out of the knuckle ? Use a C shape press ?

Be careful with this. Typically repressing a ball joint intot he knuckle is not a good idea, since it could loosen from the knuckle over time(maybe not that much time). You may wish to check with Steve Gent on here, since he offers rebuilds of these knuckles and presses in oversize ball joints and has the knucle machined as specified, for the new ball joint.

HTH,
LarryB

I will try to contact him to know how he proceeds. Sending my knuckle overseas will be to expensive even compared to buying a new one. So I want to try a DIY.

I contacted Steve. Only the upper ball-joint which is pressed in the arm is problematic. The lower one in the knuckle can be removed and pressed back in without problem. I already took out. I just need a good c-clamp to press the new one back in straight.

The new ball-joints are in. It was the most difficult part of the job. No place to press or hammer them in. Needed to put them in the freezer and heat the knuckle.

nsx_hub.jpg

Back