• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bringing back an NSX to life

Back in November of last year I bought this NSX off ebay after my friend txt me telling me about it.He didnt wanna buy it since he already has 2 NSX's so I had to have it.It needed some work,mainly paint and a engine.It did come with some extra goodies though.The wheels ended up being rare Racing Hart CP035's.It also had Taitec widebody rear panels,Taitec front,Comptech springs & Zanardi mats.The bads were it was also missing some stuff like rotors & center console.

vy4iee.jpg

f2sk15.jpg

Well I got the car to Houston and finally got started on the rebuild.Someone in or around Fontana,CA wrecked their NSX with about 60k on the clock.I ended up buying the complete motor/tranny setup complete down to the motor mounts still being attached.My trusted mechanic is doing all the maintenance work on it since its already out.Im going to be removing the valve covers so I can get them powdercoated.Not sure what color yet but most likely classic wrinkle red,white to match the car or chromed out.

10idmhj.jpg

Then I got to ordering little bits and pieces.I hit up Science of Speed along with several members on here for parts.I got this stuff down.

-Science of speed double din bracket
-Science of speed engine hatch struts
-NSX-R center tail light
-Hawk brake pads
-Black/white floor mats thanks to synergyaw
-Injen intake thanks to nsxinohio
-Missing door handle thanks to Red-N
-Center console & oem rotors thanks to kdirty130
-Vinny side skirts thanks to LastExile
-New front bumper
-Black/red key because I dont like the silver one.lol
-New tires all around
-Nardi steering wheel

zlt3f5.jpg

w6xrvr.jpg

ngkz9.jpg

Kdirty was nice enough to just give me those parts for free so I really owe him big! When all this is said and done im taking him to the stripclub! :biggrin: I still couldnt make up my mind on wheels so I decided to just refinish the ones I had already.The best part was my mechanics neighbor did it for close to nothing.Thank goodness he works at a wheel shop.We ended up going with powdercoated flat black centers and repolished the lips.The whole backside barrel is also black.Its REALLY hard to take a pic of the actual color.Dont mind the Veilside wheel laying next to them.

2d2ivtl.jpg

1fiidz.jpg

Next headache was the valve stems.The ones the wheels had were pencil skinny.I looked everywhere for replacements but nobody had any that fit.I ended up having to bore the holes out a little.With tires I went with the brand that was on them before.Being completely bald I swapped them all out.Went with 275 rears for the 10in. wide back wheel.Best part is I can keep on rolling even if I get a flat! :biggrin:

f4l2th.jpg

21j3y1s.jpg

Now comes the better part.I stopped by the bodyshop to take some pics of the progress.Im not a big fan of black because it hides the lines too much if you ask me.Im reallyyy big on white though.Ive had 3 white Lexus,1 white s2k and I was gonna paint my Skyline white before I sold it.lol.So picking a color didnt take long.

The shop is PACKED down right now so the nsx was on a sideline while they cleaned things out.There is still some nooks and cranny's that need to be painted white as you can see in the pics.Im doing part of the vents on the hood in black along with part of the back bumper.Also leaving inside the hood,trunk and engine bay black.

65suuf.jpg

2rhbwqw.jpg

2roqge8.jpg

2h31od2.jpg

20h7qx.jpg

Yes those are Infiniti wheels on the car.That was all I had to put on while the others got fixed.After they paint the frame they start working on the actual body pieces.Car should be out sometime next week.

I will take more pics then and post the progress.

Thanks for looking.

-Alex

Last edited:
can't wait to see the final result. are you looking to sell the taitec front bumper? :tongue:
Oh I forgot to post im gonna ditch it.It has some nice damage on it.Im sure it CAN be repaired but im not sure if someone would wanna roll with that much added bondo weight. :tongue: It might still be laying around the shop.I will ask when I go back over there.I didnt seem proportionate to me and sat pretty low so I didnt like it much.

Wheels look good. I wonder if they clear F&R BBK? I know their not for sale but I recently bought BBK and rear iforges won't clear:frown:.

What shade of white are you goind with? Do you have a specific color?

Hey Alleykat,

Are you going to paint the roof white or leave that black? Just curious, my vote is leave it black!!! :biggrin:

Good luck,
- Z

Plus one:biggrin:

Cornfed NSX: Thanks man that dog is spoiled to hell. :tongue:

davidf: To be honest I dont think these will clear a bbk either.

White92: Sorry I forgot to say the color is good ol' Grand Prix White.I thought about pearl white but I was crying before with my s2k.Having to paint big sections so paint could match was a pain.

Zishan:
Thats a dam good question.I planned on getting everything white for the most part but the black roof does kinda look nice.I actually have it done like that on my IS300.Im gonna go stare at it some more and see what I decide.

Im gonna go see if there is more progress today since I have to drop the wheels off.What I like most about this car is that I have to get into the semi restore process.I would have take it apart anyways so finding this car was good for me instead of taking apart a perfectly mint nsx.

-Alex

Last edited:
Zishan:[/B] Thats a dam good question.I planned on getting everything white for the most part but the black roof does kinda look nice.I actually have it done like that on my IS300.Im gonna go stare at it some more and see what I decide.

White with a black top is very Type-R'ish....in a very good way!

Wow cool write up. I enjoy reading about the progress.

PS keep the top black.

Good God, he's alive! Ironically, I was just thinking about you the other day. I miss the good ol' days! :)

this will be a cool rebuild! i always thought about buying an nsx and starting from ground up basically. be a fun project thats for sure

April.2,2009

Stopped by to drop off the newly mounted wheels/tires.Its not much of an update pic but it looks more like an NSX now than an El Camino. :tongue:

Wheels,doors,hood and trunk are back on now.
2zefeie.jpg

Cmon body panels go on already! Once the doors and 1/4 panels are painted too then we will see some real progress.Im eager to see the Vinny sides with the Taitec widebody panels.Probably wont take anymore pics till around Sunday.Oh and yes the passenger front tire is mounted backwards.Leave it to the geniuses at Discount Tire.lol.Im gonna go back later and get it fixed.

One thing I need a pic of is how the hell that front A/C condenser? is supposed to be mounted.Mine is just kinda hanging there waiting for me to put it in place.Anyone have pics of their car with this part showing how its supposed to be?

Last edited:
Hope this help.:smile:

Condensor.jpg

April.2,2009

Stopped by to drop off the newly mounted wheels/tires.Its not much of an update pic but it looks more like an NSX now than an El Camino. :tongue:

Wheels,doors,hood and trunk are back on now.
2zefeie.jpg

Cmon body panels go on already! Once the doors and 1/4 panels are painted too then we will see some real progress.Im eager to see the Vinny sides with the Taitec widebody panels.Probably wont take anymore pics till around Sunday.Oh and yes the passenger front tire is mounted backwards.Leave it to the geniuses at Discount Tire.lol.Im gonna go back later and get it fixed.

One thing I need a pic of is how the hell that front A/C condenser? is supposed to be mounted.Mine is just kinda hanging there waiting for me to put it in place.Anyone have pics of their car with this part showing how its supposed to be?

i want to do this one day...give a dying NSX a second life. of course, thats only after finding my first dream NSX, mint, all original with modest miles.:rolleyes:

*props* for having the guts to undergo this project bro-:smile:

Do you have any plans for the interior?
Still trying to figure out what im gonna do with the seats.I have Bride Ergo II's in my other car but I want something a little more street comfortable.Might just go with leatherseats.com alternate with matching panels and such.

Great project! From the pics you can already feel that it's going to look great :smile:
Thanks.

Im ordering something from you when I free up some more cash! Cant have NSX-R tail light without the matching spoiler! :biggrin:

I hope to have some new pics next week before I go out of town.

Great project and a nice writeup. If it was me, I'd leave the roof black.

BTW: looks like your front tire's are mounted the wrong way:tongue:

Back