• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building my new home!

Hijacker I read your email and didn't really get what you were asking, please call me if you want to talk about something. I did reply to you twice but you seem to not be getting them.

I think it's Timberlake Cabinetry, but would have to pull all of the paperwork out to check for sure.

Beautiful.

We also have an MI Custom home built back when they still offered that line here in the midwest. :biggrin:

When we went through inspection, the inspector remarked that he had been inspecting homes for 25 years and had never seen such a well built and solid home.

If you want I can send you a link to detailed pictures of our place. The similiarities in construction are uncanny.

Congrats!

Beautiful.

We also have an MI Custom home built back when they still offered that line here in the midwest. :biggrin:

When we went through inspection, the inspector remarked that he had been inspecting homes for 25 years and had never seen such a well built and solid home.

If you want I can send you a link to detailed pictures of our place. The similiarities in construction are uncanny.

Congrats!

Please do - I'd love to see the work!

Here's my neighbors place. Very similar elevation to yours. His place is unbelievable.

iPhotoDownload.aspx

I'm trying to find the link...apparently kodak photoshare moved to shutterfly and I can't find the email that gave me the new link to the collection.

I recently helped my neighbor mud and tape the drywall in his basement. I was doing it to help him and to also learn how to do it when I finish mine. I learned enough to know that I will be hiring someone else to do it. :wink: Your pics above make my arms hurt. :smile:

AMAZING dream home. I'd sell my NSX anyday to end up with a place similiar to yours. VERY VERY NICE HIJACKER!!!!!

Big progress. So far, they've regraded the property, did the first coat on the driveway, sidewalk is in, siding is completed. The kitchen is mostly done, appliances are being installed, floors and carpet are in, etc. From here, is mostly small items, touchups, additional painting, basic punchlist items. House should be done and turned over to me in 2-3 weeks.

Pics:

SCC_2946-L.jpg

SCC_2962-L.jpg

SCC_2951-L.jpg

SCC_2960-L.jpg

SCC_2956-L.jpg

SCC_2964-L.jpg

SCC_2971-L.jpg

Base started at $659. I spec'd out A LOT of options.

The properties in this area that are all brick, are usually starting out around $1M+.

Ouch, who's the builder. You can PM me if you don't post unless I missed the posted name.

For that price you would have a humungo house in TX and plenty of space. Nice interior layout!!!

Last edited:
well priced...

For that price you would have a HUUUUGE home here in TX.
Ouch...

For that price you would have a humungo house in TX and plenty of space. Nice interior layout!!!
Come'on man, get some perspective! :D

Hijacker is (1) building a custom-style home (2) that is 6k+ sq-ft (3) w/ 0.5+ acreage (4) in Loudoun County which is one of the most affluent counties in the U.S. (5) as well as being near Fairfax/Reston which is one the most high-tech areas in the country (6) not to mention being in a robust major metropolitan area (7) w/ a savvy & desirable real estate market .

Such a residence in Austin would be $850k to $950k (at the minimum; even double/triple that depending on general location here); likewise in Greater Houston & the Dallas-Metroplex. But, of-course in BFE it'd be 1/2 that... or less.

Last edited:
Come'on man, get some perspective! :D

Hijacker is building a custom-style home (1) that is 6k+ sq-ft (2) w/ 0.5+ acreage (3) in Loudoun County which is one of the most affluent counties in the U.S. (4) as well as being near Fairfax/Reston which is one the most high-tech areas in the country (5) not to mention being in a robust major metropolitan area (6) w/ a savvy & desirable real estate market (7).

Such a residence in Austin would be $850k to $950k (at the minimum; even double/triple that depending on general location here); likewise in Greater Houston & the Dallas-Metroplex. But, of-course in BFE it'd be 1/2 that... or less.

If I drove 20 miles further and added another 30-45 minutes to my commute, I would be building the same for $400k. :) Then again, I would also be on well/septic rather than county water/sewer, meaning I would have to deal with a water system and salt tanks, and probably NOT be installing a sprinkler system for my yard since I wouldn't want the risk on my well.

In fact, there is another community they are building the same homes. The lots are a bit smaller and its 30 mins closer to DC. Base price, starting at 1.2M and goes up from there. (Mount Vernon area in VA).

Location Location Location.

Congrats. Looks great Steve!

In fact, there is another community they are building the same homes.
The lots are a bit smaller and its 30 mins closer to DC. Base price, starting at 1.2M and goes up from there.
(Mount Vernon area in VA). Location Location Location.

IMO, you're better off where you built vs Mt Vernon. Im in the Fairfax/Oakton area and in my neighborhood they are building some new homes similar to yours, but on larger 1.0 acre lots. Pricing STARTS at 1.5-1.7M and prob approach ~2M all said and done.

If I drove 20 miles further and added another 30-45 minutes to my commute, I would be building the same for $400k. :) Then again, I would also be on well/septic rather than county water/sewer, meaning I would have to deal with a water system and salt tanks, and probably NOT be installing a sprinkler system for my yard since I wouldn't want the risk on my well.

Close friend of mine moved to BFE (almost WV i think). Cheaper housing, but he lives in the car! No thanks.

I've got 3 acres and Im on septic and well. Not really an issue, as long as its inspected/maintained properly. To do the sprinklers correctly w/well there are other precautions to prevent backflow, so just a bit more costwise. Only issue is the well pump on power outages, but ive also got a 20kw Generac standby generator installed too :)

Did they offer a whole-house generator pkg now w/all the recent outages this area has seen? I've heard of insane pricing. Just wondering. Keep the pics coming.

Last edited:
Congrats. Looks great Steve!

IMO, you're better off where you built vs Mt Vernon. Im in the Fairfax/Oakton area and in my neighborhood they are building some new homes similar to yours, but on larger 1.0 acre lots. Pricing STARTS at 1.5-1.7M and prob approach ~2M all said and done.

Close friend of mine moved to BFE (almost WV i think). Cheaper housing, but he lives in the car! No thanks.

I've got 3 acres and Im on septic and well. Not really an issue, as long as its inspected/maintained properly. To do the sprinklers correctly w/well there are other precautions to prevent backflow, so just a bit more costwise. Only issue is the well pump on power outages, but ive also got a 20kw Generac standby generator installed too :)

Did they offer a whole-house generator pkg now w/all the recent outages this area has seen? I've heard of insane pricing. Just wondering. Keep the pics coming.

The price variance is insane in this area, the hardest decision is finding a happy middle point to do a balance between cost/commute. I also wanted a certain level of privacy and space, so overall infrastructure and county planning/zoning went into the decision, also the fact that I back to a row of trees which is a part of conservation land. Beyond that, is area sold to a residential developer, so worse case scenario, I will have another house 200ft behind me seperated by trees. No roads, no Walmarts, no train tracks. :)

WH Generators were not offered, but something I've been looking into as a post-settlement option. Prices seem to range anywhere from $4k-10k for units. A few people I know for similar size homes, had one bought and installed for $10k. My wife suggests that we wait to see if its really needed. The neighborhood where I lived previously, I only lost power for a few hours over the last few years. If my hunch is right, the newer grid and infrastructure will be better suited and even less prone to outages. If it seems to be an issue over the next year or two, I will probably reconsider. At the very least, I do have a couple UPS to protect the media room stuff and my home network, I plan to ensure the same holds true with the sump pump.

Back