• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building my new home!

It's been in the works for a while, I thought I would share photos so far. Expected completion in late December. Wife and I are absolutely ecstatic:

SCC2295-L.jpg

SCC2788-L.jpg

SCC2794-L.jpg

SCC2797-M.jpg

SCC2840-L.jpg

SCC2850-L.jpg

SCC2845-L.jpg

SCC2858-L.jpg

SCC2864-L.jpg

best of luck.It is quite an involved experience.A good builder goes along way.I still have vivid memories of our build,all the myriad ups and downs.Nothing like the sense of pride knowing you have watched and been involved in every stage in your homes construction.Are you going to have any unique/custom touches?

Fairfax has open space like that? Holy crap.

Beautiful house! I look forward to seeing the finished product.

That is a bigggg house. Congrats. Makes my 1200sqft look about the size of your garage lol.

lotsa room!

So far so good, congratz'... look forward to seeing pics once all set! :cool:

Is this Fairfax or Loudoun County (or Prince William or Fauquier County)? I'm often in Ashburn, very nice area.

Congrats

Looks great. How many car garage?:wink:

3-car.

Fairfax has open space like that? Holy crap.

Beautiful house! I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Thanks! I've made quite a few of custom touches on the house, the project manager is fantastic - I could not say better things about him. It's going to be 6100sq ft total. Just my wife and I, but we do plan on having a couple kids soon, so I wanted to grow into the house rather than grow out. Also, the infrastructure around the area is great and the school district is perfect. We're on county water/septic, so I don't have to deal with a well.

So far so good, congratz'... look forward to seeing pics once all set! :cool:

Is this Fairfax or Loudoun County (or Prince William or Fauquier County)? I'm often in Ashburn, very nice area.

It's on the eastern edge of Loudoun County (Chantilly address). When I say Chantilly, most think I'm still in Fairfax. :) I'm moving out of Fairfax, so my commute is getting about 20 minutes longer, but I think it's well worth it.

Thanks for sharing, I am in Chantilly twice a year or more.
Congrates on the start up.

3-car.

Thanks! I've made quite a few of custom touches on the house, the project manager is fantastic - I could not say better things about him. It's going to be 6100sq ft total. Just my wife and I, but we do plan on having a couple kids soon, so I wanted to grow into the house rather than grow out. Also, the infrastructure around the area is great and the school district is perfect. We're on county water/septic, so I don't have to deal with a well.

It's on the eastern edge of Loudoun County (Chantilly address). When I say Chantilly, most think I'm still in Fairfax. :) I'm moving out of Fairfax, so my commute is getting about 20 minutes longer, but I think it's well worth it.

That's awesome!
Is it much more expensive to build rather than buy something on the market, or is it about the same?

That's awesome!
Is it much more expensive to build rather than buy something on the market, or is it about the same?

Depends how you look at it. If you buy existing, you have to be satisfied with everything in the house, otherwise, you're going to pay to remodel until you're happy. When you build new, you can get exactly what you want.

I decided to build because I plan to stay put for ATLEAST 20 years (until we have kids and they're done with school). When I move, it will be to retire. This is my second home. I figure, if I'm going to live somewhere that long, I want exactly what makes me happy. You only live once, no reason to settle on someone elses choice when they built existing property.

Beautiful house so far.....keep us updated!

I've been to Manasas and Fairfax area a few times now and seems like a nice place to raise a family. What do houses in that size go for over there? I like your 20 year plan, for something that custom I would not plan to move too often either. It seems custom builders make a good sum of money these days. I always watch million dollar rooms on HGTV and the last episode featured a home in Santa Clara, UT where the owner is a builder and had a full court basketball and gym about 21 feet underground in his basement and another million dollars in his backyard pool setup that makes Vegas pools look like Hampton Inns!

Maybe we can see your house on a future episode of million dollar rooms? :)

Beautiful house so far.....keep us updated!

I've been to Manasas and Fairfax area a few times now and seems like a nice place to raise a family. What do houses in that size go for over there? I like your 20 year plan, for something that custom I would not plan to move too often either. It seems custom builders make a good sum of money these days. I always watch million dollar rooms on HGTV and the last episode featured a home in Santa Clara, UT where the owner is a builder and had a full court basketball and gym about 21 feet underground in his basement and another million dollars in his backyard pool setup that makes Vegas pools look like Hampton Inns!

Maybe we can see your house on a future episode of million dollar rooms? :)

That show is interesting. Anytime I watch it, it reminds me that's I'm middle class without any doubts. LOL!

Where I'm building, it's right around 800k+. The same home a bit farther out would be 650k. The exact model I'm building if I wanted to live in Mount Vernon, would be $1.4M. So, price has a lot of variables (land, location, options, etc.)

Man, and I thought adding a 2,000sq/ft addition (4 car garage with living space above) to my house was a big project. It's such a great feeling to watch a house being built. Congratulations!

Great looking home - will be great to have a nice 3-car garage. I spoke to somebody today who is from the Northern VA area, and he tells me the housing market there is (and pretty much has stayed) strong - perhaps the best in the country. Guess that is due to the heavy government employment up there.

I grew up in Mount Vernon Estates ( not too far from Sonny Jurgenson's house) and worked summers during college at Springfield Auto Parts on Backlick Road. The entire area was crowded then, and I hear much more so now. Haven't been back up in 5 years or so.

Continued good luck on the build and please keep us posted with updated pics. Bet it will be fantastic once finished! (And thanks for helping out the economy and housing market !!!).

what is your lot size,and where is your septic field in relation to the house?

That show is interesting. Anytime I watch it, it reminds me that's I'm middle class without any doubts. LOL!

Where I'm building, it's right around 800k+. The same home a bit farther out would be 650k. The exact model I'm building if I wanted to live in Mount Vernon, would be $1.4M. So, price has a lot of variables (land, location, options, etc.)

For that price you would have a HUUUUGE home here in TX.

For that price you would have a HUUUUGE home here in TX.

here in GTA, with a house of those size and specs would go for a good 2.5-3mill .... im sure areas in SF NYC would be the same

amazing build; looks INCREDIBLE thus far. CONGRATS!

Last edited:
Back