• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building my new home!

Lookin' good HIJACKER! Congrats!

Beautiful home HIJACKER!

Landscaping in, punch list has started:

SCC_2979-XL.jpg

SCC_2983-XL.jpg

SCC_2990-XL.jpg

SCC_2992-XL.jpg

Looking beautiful.

May u ask what lens are you using 16-35 or 24-14??

Sadly, I'm using a Tamron 10-24 DX lens (cropped) on a full-frame D800. So, I can't shoot wider than 15MM. I'm actually trying to sell this lens so I can replace it with a Nikkor 14-24.

Hi,

congratulations on a beautifull home.... i wish that you and your family are happy in it for many many years.

Thanks,
Nuno

PS - how many blue tape rolls did you use marking the problems?? :biggrin:

You would think the friggin' contractors would take more pride in their work and just do a good job the first time. Eh, I guess there is no replacement for doing something yourself (for yourself).

Consider how many people are in and out doing various work. I'll be honest, the majority of the things they've tagged as an "issue" I saw absolutely nothing wrong with it and I'm pretty damn close to being a perfectionist. The level of quality assurance I'm getting is second to none and there is absolutely no way I could do any portion of this work myself and come anywhere close to the level of quality I'm receiving.

After spending 5 hours at the property yesterday, I can conclude with a fair amount of certainty that 98% of the marks are "paint scuff or equivalent" and are not structural issues.

I appreciate your concern though. Be sure to post pictures of the house you plan to build yourself from the ground up.

Consider how many people are in and out doing various work. I'll be honest, the majority of the things they've tagged as an "issue" I saw absolutely nothing wrong with it and I'm pretty damn close to being a perfectionist. The level of quality assurance I'm getting is second to none and there is absolutely no way I could do any portion of this work myself and come anywhere close to the level of quality I'm receiving.

After spending 5 hours at the property yesterday, I can conclude with a fair amount of certainty that 98% of the marks are "paint scuff or equivalent" and are not structural issues.

I appreciate your concern though. Be sure to post pictures of the house you plan to build yourself from the ground up.

+1 from the pictures the quality looks good. I love the fact that even all the elegant finishing touches such as larger baseboards crown moldings etc etc are all done immediately.

Incredible! Love seeing the progression pics. Absolutely beautiful home -- congrats!

gleibig: Only $12k in property tax for a $32M home?? Or is that per month or something? :)

Incredible! Love seeing the progression pics. Absolutely beautiful home -- congrats!

gleibig: Only $12k in property tax for a $32M home?? Or is that per month or something? :)

Good point. It's approximately 1% in gta. One of my clients pays 200k a year in property tax for 20million dollar home. My jaw dropppppppped when I found out.

No, the Real Estate website is using old information. The previous home on that lot had a total assessment of 1.15 million for a total of $12k in property taxes. If you decide to move in to that jumbo home, expect to pay $342k in property taxes per year - that's roughly 1.07%

Property taxes in VA are low, but not as low as that real estate website may lead you to believe ;)

References:
http://icare.fairfaxcounty.gov/datalets/datalet.aspx?mode=valuesall&sIndex=0&idx=1&LMparent=138
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta/realestatetax_taxrates.htm

More pics of the progression? :)

Back