• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building my new home!

Looking good!

Is it being built by Ryan homes?

No, not Ryan.

what is your lot size,and where is your septic field in relation to the house?

1/2 acre. No septic field, county water/septic (mentioned in post #9). The lot size and county services was one of the major things that drew me to this location. I absolutely did NOT want septic and dealing with a well.

ahhh I got ya,typicaly when you say septic I think of on site septic...if you are tied into your towns system i think of that as sewer:redface: BTW are you going to have any neat custom touches in the house?

Lookin' good! Congrats!

thanks for the update!

Very fair price for such a nice custom home regardless of where you live.

$800k in the SF Bay Area will net you a 20 year old home with a 2-car driveway in a nice neighborhood. Certainly nice but nothing like what you are building. Most of the homes out here that are within your sq. footage and size would be up in the hills and easily 2 million+ (and probably still not as nice)

At least our property tax here is only 1.25% :)

$800k in the SF Bay Area will net you a 20 year old home with a 2-car driveway in a nice neighborhood. Certainly nice but nothing like what you are building. Most of the homes out here that are within your sq. footage and size would be up in the hills and easily 2 million+ (and probably still not as nice)

800k? Where??

I've been looking, and townhouses with 2 car garage and no driveway are pushing $1m...

800k? Where??

I've been looking, and townhouses with 2 car garage and no driveway are pushing $1m...

Let's not totally hi-jack his thread but you must be looking in the SF penninsula area near Stanford which is more expensive.....

Just look around Fremont or North SJ where you can easily get homes in the 800k range.

Yes if you are looking in Palo Alto/Menlo Park areas near Stanford of course it will be 1 million plus.

Houses are all relative to the land it's built on :)

I recall a while back people posting house pics... someone posts a pic of a house in middle of what looks like a golf course... someome else says "oh right on the golf course.. awesome!" and the guy goes "Uh, no... that's my front yard" HAHAHA.

so far, so good!

3-It's on the eastern edge of Loudoun County (Chantilly address). When I say Chantilly, most think I'm still in Fairfax. :) I'm moving out of Fairfax, so my commute is getting about 20 minutes longer, but I think it's well worth it.
Cool! :cool:

My sis' & bro-in'law have also been looking into a transition similar to yours, with the kids growing up & visiting family/guests. Seemingly, the price-point of your build is not too far off from their current residence, but you have at least ~50%+ or more SQ-FT as well as customization!

How's the proximity of this location relative to major roadways & parkways in the area?

What are your plans for the basement (ie. professional/work related, entertaining, man-cave, leisure/recreation area, in-law/family living-space, etc)?

Re: so far, so good!

Cool! :cool:

My sis' & bro-in'law have also been looking into a transition similar to yours, with the kids growing up & visiting family/guests. Seemingly, the price-point of your build is not too far off from their current residence, but you have at least ~50%+ or more SQ-FT as well as customization!

How's the proximity of this location relative to major roadways & parkways in the area?

What are your plans for the basement (ie. professional/work related, entertaining, man-cave, leisure/recreation area, in-law/family living-space, etc)?

I'm about 20 minutes away from Dulles airport, so, close enough to use, but not in a direct flight path. My commute will be about 20 minutes longer, but not a big deal. I can be on the major highway in about 10 minutes from my location. If you're familiar with the Manassas Battlefield's, its really not to far from that location in Loudoun County.

Basement is finished out with a wetbar. Has a media room that I'm moving my theater setup and a room we plan to put the exercise equipment. It's classified as a 5th bedroom, but, it's not going to be that for us. There is an unfinished storage room, which oddly enough, I'm VERY excited about. (I have absolutely no storage now other than attic, so I can't wait!). For now, I'm just moving a couple leather sofas I have down into the rec room and I have a new pool table I bought and already spec'd out.

The home office will be on the main level in the study. I plan to also put a 27 or 32" thin TV mounted on the wall in the study.

I have a ton of plans, we've thought this through a lot. I have a designer helping with paint and furniture. The project manager emails me weekly with updates on what took place and what is coming up for the next few days, I stay in close touch with him and frequently walk the site and check things out.

The next time I post photos will probably be once the walls are up, then I'll do another round of photos as they start doing the floors, cabinets, etc. Final round will be house completed and empty. Eventually, I'll grab some once everything is done, furnished, and actually being lived in.

If you're relatives are looking in this general area, you can pass them my contact info. I'm more than happy to talk to them and provide them more information if they would like. PM me.

Update. Drywall is in, they start other activities this week. Expected date of completion is between 12/20-12/23.

SCC_2913-XL.jpg

SCC_2906-XL.jpg

SCC_2891-XL.jpg

SCC_2890-XL.jpg

SCC_2889-XL.jpg

SCC_2893-XL.jpg

SCC_2901-XL.jpg

SCC_2900-XL.jpg

SCC_2908-XL.jpg

Does Drees build a good home? My sister just moved to NoVa as is looking at them to build a home.

I don't know anything about Drees.

A couple things (that are obvious) to consider:

1. The PM is really who can make or break the project. unfortunately, you won't meet this person until they are assigned after you close on a home. I'm fortunate, mine is awesome. However, I've heard stories that speak the opposite.

2. Regardless of the actual home builder, they all use the same subcontractors in the area which is the same work force. So, one home builder isn't going to do any better in execution. Again, this responsibility falls to the PM.

3. Personally, I would pick the builder based on what home design is what you want and the amount of incentives they're able to offer. Keep in mind, the incentives are only applicable if you finance through them, otherwise, you pay for everything. So, ask to see the rates/fees upfront so you can make an informed decision.

Big updates. Here are pics from Sunday. They start flooring this week.

SCC_2924-XL.jpg

SCC_2922-XL.jpg

SCC_2927-XL.jpg

SCC_2930-XL.jpg

[/IMG]http://www.scc-photography.com/Architecture/Wynterhall-Build/i-Kpz5LSq/0/XL/SCC_2928-XL.jpg[/IMG]

SCC_2931-XL.jpg

nice! Its the little things that signal a "special" home like the built ins,double crown and ceiling height cabinets.What brand kitchen cabinets?

nice! Its the little things that signal a "special" home like the built ins,double crown and ceiling height cabinets.What brand kitchen cabinets?

I think it's Timberlake Cabinetry, but would have to pull all of the paperwork out to check for sure.

Back