• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Business Opinions Needed

You're speaking my language Vegas. Being in Real Estate sales for 10 years can really take a toll on you,especially the mental part.:biggrin:
That's why I have been scratching my head like a monkey and try to think of something new.
You are absolutely right on the niche part. Thanks for the suggestions... May I ask if you are also in sales? If so, what industry?
Thanks for the tips.

I am in sales. Been in sales for roughly 8 years.

I'm in engineering sales for large commercial equipment. There is such a shortage of knowledgeable people in my industry that I have been head-hunted and offered jobs about every month since the first day I started. I can pretty much find a job anywhere, at anytime. And I make pretty darn good coin too.

It helps if you have technical knowledge (I have a mechanical engineering degree) but it isn’t always necessary. One of our better salesman (or I should say saleswoman) started off as our receptionist and now makes about half a mil a year. The president of my company, started off sweeping the floors of the company warehouse and now has more money than you can shake a stick at. Keep in mind they are natural born sellers, but it just goes to show that if “it” is in you, you can really make a lot of money in sales.

On the negative side, if you aren’t used to commission, it can be hard. You live and die by your abilities and some people don’t have the stomach for that. You’ll know if a certain sales segment is for your or not within a matter of weeks. Also, sales is all about reputation. You need a good reputation to get good job, but it’s kind of hard to build up a reputation when you are new. A Catch-22. It helps if someone can vouch for you or if you know someone in the industry. The only resume I ever made was in college. Ever job I got was through a friend, connection or reputation. Oh yeah, salesmen are also usually the first to be:
1) Fired
2) Let go
3) Made fun of
4) Regarded in negative ways (like lawyers)
5) Blamed for problems
6) Yelled at

It helps to have really thick skin. You often have to take a lot of crap from people, but you can get paid a lot of money to take crap from people.

I am a retired iraq marine vet i will make 4,700K a month forever (knock on wood) and i work as a car sales man. Id love to try what you sell. where do you live, cause I can move when I want. serious-ken

I am in sales. Been in sales for roughly 8 years.
Oh yeah, salesmen are also usually the first to be:
1) Fired
2) Let go
3) Made fun of
4) Regarded in negative ways (like lawyers)
5) Blamed for problems
6) Yelled at

I can't speak to #s 3-6, but I can say with some confidence that a company will only make the mistake of doing 1 or 2... once. So if you're looking to take a sales position, just learn a bit about who owns the company. A good PE-backed firm will NOT let go of a company's sales force in a general economic downturn, ever. :wink:

Back