• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

C8 finally unveiled!!!

And that's a bad thing because, why? Does it make you a better person just because you own a "special" car?

It does not make you a "better" person... but it makes you more interesting to approach and talk cars.... I NEVER take the NSX out without at least one comment, thumbs up, picture taken... etc

Nobody ever complements me on my Town and Country mini van!!!

The will be too many of these vettes around... and that is not ideal.... I'll still end up with one no doubt... but I would NEVER replace the NSX with one

The NSX is much more of a "big deal car"

It does not make you a "better" person... but it makes you more interesting to approach and talk cars.... I NEVER take the NSX out without at least one comment, thumbs up, picture taken... etc

The will be too many of these vettes around... and that is not ideal.... I'll still end up with one no doubt... but I would NEVER replace the NSX with one

Where I live I barely see any Corvettes, maybe a Z06 or ZR1 every now and then. However on my way to and from work today I saw a few 911 Turbo S, A McLaren 720. A Lamborghini Urus, Rolls Royce Sedan. Bentley GT, AMG GT. AMG G500, and a few other $150k+ cars, but there are too many to list. And you know what, when i used to drive my NC1 NSX not one complement. Even at C&C where there would be almost 3000 cars, I would sit a a few cars away and listen to people bash the NSX all day long. I never took it personally, because they were all correct. The NSX is overpriced and a failure. However I can assure you that the C8 will get more attention from everyone, young and old. Men and women. I may not even want to drive it to work because my patients will think they "bought me the car". Not once did anyone say a thing about my NSX parked in front of my office.

So there you have it. Real life experiences with a "big deal car".

what people are forgetting is that the C8 is introducing rear-mid engine to the american masses that the FGT, f, L and P cars couldn't because they were either foreign or not affordable

I don’t care if there is one on every corner. This car is going to be awesome...

Did I enjoy the attention I got with my ‘96 ? Sure. Same with my ‘17. But I’m older now and just care about if the car makes me happy. And I think a 500 HP V8 roaring behind my ear with top off will make me very happy.

MC

Ideally I'd keep my NSX forever, but if I had to sell it to get one the these, I would probably do it...and never look back. Sure the original NSX is an icon and everyone loves to see it at the car meets, but she's getting old and parts start breaking and become harder to find and every mile you put on it it feels like your losing value. It's almost like it's become a cars and coffee car these days, instead of a beat the hell out of the back roads car. The SoCal NSX community has been very stale for the last several years as far as drives go anymore...these are becoming collector car garage queens.

Maybe I'm just getting bored after having several of them the last 16 years and need some new excitement ..it's hard to not be tempted by the 495 HP MR NA V8 that looks as good as anything out there these days for such a great price.... how fun would track days be in something like this, especially with a warranty ???
I could care less if it will be a dime a dozen car in a few years....you can always mod them and give them your own style to separate it from the masses.

All I know is that I want a white one....

I’d love to hear reactions to this, which is from Road and Track on Monday, July 29th:

In an August 2016 report, the Detroit News said the mid-engine Corvette is codenamed "Emperor," and that a hybrid version could be in the pipeline. Speaking to the Detroit News, Bob Lutz speculated that the mid-engine Corvette could have a small battery and electric motor to decrease fuel consumption and enable all-wheel-drive. Over at Hagerty, Sherman reports the same thing, adding that an electric motor driving the front wheels would replace the front trunk in base C8 models.

So, in a few short years from now, Corvettes might possess amazing hybrid technology....just like an NSX had three years ago.

And this seems like a good place to re-post from the Ferrari Hybrid string:

At Katie’s Cars & Coffee in Great Falls, Virginia yesterday, the NSX was a huge hit. Someone asked me why I chose the NSX. I said:

“All of these cars here — the 488, the R-8, the Huracán — they all represent the best of technology developed in the 1900’s. This NSX represents the beginning of 21st century technology. We’re in the infancy of the age of hybrid-electric, all-electric, hydrogen fuel cell, and other non carbon-based fueled vehicles. We’re in the Golden Age of innovation in personal transportation power systems. Soon, we’ll all settle on the most efficient system, and —
as we have been doing for the last hundred years — we will all be driving vehicles powered by the exact same propulsion system. But until then, well, it’s a great time to be alive.
“We are also witnessing the twilight of combustion engine technology. The NSX, the P-1, the 918, the la Ferrari — they all represent the beginning of a new movement, and — more importantly — the end of one hundred years of personal transportation technology. In just a few years, even Lamborghini will stop selling gas-only cars. It’s likely that my
youngest son will never have driven a gas-only vehicle. And when he’s in his fifties, he’ll lust after the latest Ionic Reactor Engine-based Hypercar (or whatever). So, that’s why I chose the NSX.”

OK..... I said all that in my head. But that’s the answer I would have given, had a 2005 Ford GT not been idling next to us, and none of us could hear what the other was saying, anyway.

I guess now I can add the new mid-engine Corvette to the above list of high-performance, but 20th century (OLD!) technology.

Yeah, we've all gotten old and stale, the cars have gone up in value and so now its a collector's item. The next step is everybody turning their car back into a concours queen for maximum value. I used to buy up parts from people making race cars out of their stock NSX, now the reverse is happening. This isn't exciting, it is stale.

And I am one of the proponents, I like to keep my cars stock, but admittedly I am boring too.

The same thing happened with gen1 and 2 mustangs in the '80s and '90s. The cars went from toys to investments of garage furniture for the last 20 years. Though there were millions of Mustangs produced that parts have not been a problem, indeed parts are being released as the population of existing Mustangs is higher than modern runs of current car models.

The C8 appears to be an amazingly engineered car, and the low cost is a HUGE part of engineering. Why Honda or Ford couldn't do the same with their NSX or GT seems short-sighted. I missed my chance to get an FGT due to life's timing, but Ford producing less than demand on v2.0 was stupid and $600K for a v3.0 GT is befuddling. And the new NSX is just overpriced, busy, and difficult to service, why do it? I still might ante up for v2.0 FGT's premium price, but it is getting late in the day for me and I have other priorities with my time.

GM comes along and hits one out of the park and misses all the Designed by Committee and Lowest Common Denominator issues that have plagued GM for so long. I am a GM fan now. Makes me regret being so heavily and personally invested in Ford and Honda for the last 3 decades.

I suspect an RHD C8 is in my future. For sure not another NSX and possibly not a FGT either.

Good looking car for sure. Back end reminds me too much of a Camaro though. Bring back some variation of the classic circles or ovals please...

I suspect low mileage late year cars are going to go the route of Ferraris now. They will be resigned to a life of garages and car shows. No one is dropping 100k on a pristine car to DD/track it.

I bought my 96 with 20,000 miles on it and drove the hell out of it. Regretted selling it. When I went to look for a NA1/2 years later asking prices shot up to where it wasn’t worth it to me. Suspect will get a lot of enjoyment out of the C8 because I can throw a ton of miles on it and not care.

MC

Last edited:
I'll just leave theses here.....

48441227181_b64215341b_b_d.jpg

48441378767_e53567df58_h_d.jpg

48441227151_5016541081_b_d.jpg

The c8 is the first car GM has made in my lifetime I actually would seriously consider buying. A GT3 is what I had been saving pennies for, and this seriously has me reconsidering that. If it ever comes with a manual, and it might , it would be pretty tough to say no. As for resale, this may not depreciate like a normal Vette. It seems more like the GTR launch to me - remember when those stickered new for $69k in 2008?

It has only one drawback, auto transmission. I'm one of the 5-20% minority that only drives sports cars with a manual. I've tried autos, regardless of how exotic, it just doesn't feel right; a daily is fine but, I need to feel more engaged on a twisty mountain road.

I'd feel the same way if a sportbike was CVT.

One possible upside, maybe this release will drop the price of 90's cars still on my bucket list.

If they have a change of heart and eventually do make a manual, then without hesitation would be a resounding YES.

Last edited:
It’s not an automatic transmission like the Gen1 with a wanna be shift paddle. The C8 has a true DCT that will be just as entertaining as three pedals. I never thought I’d like a DCT, but the only thing good that I took away from having the NC1 was that it made me a convert. I cant see myself owning another modern sports car that I have to shift.

Not a vette guy, but I have to give Kudos to GM they knock the C8 out of the park. They did what Acura should of done with the next gen NSX. They should of made a basic model with ICE at ~400hp NA with 6 speed manual at <$60K, they would of sold alot of them and then bring out the Hybrid with AWD with >600hp and priced at $120K. This is exactly what GM is planning with the C8. The Z51 package and the Z06 will be north of $100K and it will sell. Its going to ironic and interesting to see if C8 hybrid will come in at just the same price as the NC1 NSX. Which I bet it will, and everyone will be praising the C8 as a bargain compared to the Porsche 918 or LaFerrai.

You are forgetting one thing PKim. The NSX won’t be in production when that happens with the C8. Acura only sold 10 cars last month and they’ve been painting the TLX in Andaro paint at the PMC. The only thing keeping the NSX around is that Acura has probably contracted with Cosworth to build a specific number of motors that they have to fulfill. I’d say the same goes for the hybrid system.

And despite what us enthusiasts want. Manual transmissions are not the way to make money. If they were automakers would be churning them out. Chevy has no choice but to go DCT.

MC

I like the exterior a lot. Not a big fan of the interior, the screen looks out of place like in many cars. I also don’t like the 50 buttons on that column, it doesn’t look practical while driving

It’s not an automatic transmission like the Gen1 with a wanna be shift paddle. The C8 has a true DCT that will be just as entertaining as three pedals. I never thought I’d like a DCT, but the only thing good that I took away from having the NC1 was that it made me a convert. I cant see myself owning another modern sports car that I have to shift.

It doesn't matter whether it's a slushbox, DCT, CVT, Egear, F1, PDK. If it doesn't have a 3rd pedal, to me it's an auto. I've tried them all and still have the opinion they're missing something while piloting through the twisties.

I understand why it won't be offered, just sad about it. Unlike most die hard enthusiasts, I would pay up to a $20k premium if the option was available. Vintage Gallardo's, 355's and 360's have a decent markup on three pedal cars which I'm totally fine with. I'm sure there's a threshold GM would need to meet before going forward ever since the initial design, and even at a modest 25% put them in the red too much with overall cockpit and mechanical compatibility. They figure we middle aged/old folks are probably going to die off soon enough anyway.

Dirtbag, I can understand your view. Are you still upset that they don't put 8-tracks in cars anymore? :D

There’s was over 1 million corvette produce since production. This is a game changer with the c8. I think this should’ve been call something else imo. Corvette has always been front engine and all my older friends that’s 55 plus agrees. They don’t see the genetics in the c8.

I like the exterior a lot. Not a big fan of the interior, the screen looks out of place like in many cars. I also don’t like the 50 buttons on that column, it doesn’t look practical while driving

I had the pleasure of sitting in one last month and was very impressed by the interior and the layout. It is very driver focused, so your passenger might not like it, but it is very driver based ergonomically...everything is at your finger tips... the strip buttons are easy to access too and look great with the way it is set up like a cockpit.

I haven't wanted a car this bad since the first time I saw the original NSX

48441378832_9a3eb60baf_o_d.jpg

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of sitting in one last month and was very impressed by the interior and the layout. It is very driver focused, so you're passenger might not like it, but it is very driver based ergonomically...everything is at your finger tips... the strip buttons are easy to access too and look great with the way it is set up like a cockpit.

I haven't wanted a car this bad since the first time I saw the original NSX

Ditto... I was never of those guys that had to have it first... And I usually waited a year or two for the Z06 but I can't wait now...

MC

Back