• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Calling tire god 4 advice

I bought two 255/40/17 made in Japan Toyo T1-R about 10k miles ago from Edge racing. My job takes me from SD to New Orleans(3600 miles round trip) from time to time.

Upon my 1st trip last Dec.,(avg. 75-80mph) the tires looked fine after 3.6k miles and I measured the treadwear across the tire and noticed hardly any wear....i was stoked as the tires performed as expected. I drove around SD locally thereafter did not notice any excess wear until my second trip yesterday.....

the tires were at 37psi cold and the only difference I can think of was the weather at 100 F going to and fro across AZ and TX. I saw very minor wear on the insides as I have neg. chamber at 2.5 deg upon arriving New Orleans....but on my return trip to SD, all treads were gone!!

I purposely drove between 65-70mph on this trip due to $4.30+ gas price to see my mileage which were avg. 33-34mpg but my tires are shot:mad:

Anybody experienced this before and what tires should I get next?

only good news was my new plate.

Last edited:
10k is good for the rears. As for advice....

airplane.JPG

I'm not the Tire God... but a few thing any tire expert will want to know before recommending rear tires are what is on the front? We are going to assume you have a 91-93 NSX (The silver is a giveway :P )
Another assumption (that can be incorrect) is that you have 16/17 OEM Blades...

In that case we really want to know what is on the front tires (brand and size.)

As for the wear... wierd have no idea why that would have happend unless you had a valet touch your car and do burnouts... (don't laugh or say not likely, happend to me in my Supercharged M3.)

I am merely a mortal here, but the recommended tire pressure in the rear is 40psi cold.:cool:

Don't expect to get better than 10K on the rear with any brand... and if your car is lowered then you can expect a little less.

You can check into camber kits that will help you get more even wear. What are your toe settings? Keep in mind that 93 alignment specs are less aggressive than 91-92. There was a class action suit by owners and Honda revised the specs and issued vouchers to owners for new tires.

I'm not tire god either, but when I blew up your pic, the compound worn out kind of like tires heating up and melting (your tire looks very much like tires after a day of tracking, only this is in the inside.)

I'll say the 100 degree+ def. have the impact on it. If you are going to drive that much on hwy, might as well look into some diffrent tires for touring purpose.

I agreed with MJK... Flying is whole lot cheaper after you factor in gas price, insurance, tire wear, (lack of sleep) and potential hazard... last but not lease, speed trap tickets and stuff...

Set your rear toe to as close to 0 as you are comfortable with. That wear looks like excessive toe in + camber..

Toyo T1-R's are a pretty good balance between tire life and performance, as are Kumho SPT, Nitto 555,Falken FK-452..

rear total toe is 3/16" and -2.5 camber. I knew I can use Thom's rear camber kit in the near future. the aligh. was set and cornered by Darin at WestEnd alignment in Jan.

would harder compond help? like the BFG g-force sport?

my frts are B.Stone re010 and they are just fine with no visible wear at -1.0 camber.

my plan is to let the frts wear out and buy all 4 tires with the same brand.

i will fly next time cuz i just love driving this car. but the money saved for higher mileage doesnt' offset the cost of new tires:smile:

I knew about the rear excess tire wear and the high heat can accelerate the wear so quickly like a track day. OK, its time to find a summer car and save the nsx for california winter days.

My NSX is severely lowered with a similar neg. chamber to yours and I typically get 8-12K miles on the rear and millions on the front. If you are lowered and can't adjust out some of the neg. chamber this is going to happen. The chamber kits are available (link below) but you lose handling and in my case my rear tires would start to rub. Welcome to one of the only downsides of the NSX. :biggrin:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84729&highlight=camber+kit

...my frts are B.Stone re010 and they are just fine with no visible wear at -1.0 camber.

my plan is to let the frts wear out and buy all 4 tires with the same brand...

So what size are the fronts?

So what size are the fronts?

BStone RE 010 215/45/16. i think that is the oem size w/ UTQG @140 By the looks of it, its gonna last 1 million miles:smile:

I am at Discount tire in Austin waiting for the only set of 255/40/17 in the area and its the Kumho SPT. I should be able to make it home and drive in cooler weather from now on:cool:

245/40/17 is stock rear size for 94-01, but 255 works fine too.

Better check the inside edges of the fronts, that is where all the wear takes place typically. Fronts last me ~2x as long as the rears. So, ~15k.

245/40/17 is stock rear size for 94-01, but 255 works fine too.

Better check the inside edges of the fronts, that is where all the wear takes place typically. Fronts last me ~2x as long as the rears. So, ~15k.

thx MJK. the frt inside were worn on both due to -1.5 chamber when I bought the car so the frt tires are flipped(LF to RT and vice versa) about 10k miles ago and they still look very good eventhough the threadwear is 100.

We'll see how long the rear Kumho SPT will last, that was my only choice at Discount Tires.....i'll stay away from driving in the heat long distance from now:smile:

Back