• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Can we have the "quick reply" box in every thread?

Just wondering why we don't have the quick reply box in every thread? I think I remember it use to be there a couple of years ago, then it was gone (although I could be mistaken). Can we get it back? It should make replying faster.

Why does it require you to click on a quick reply icon in a post to activate the quick reply box? Can't it just be activated without needing to do that?

Why does it require you to click on a quick reply icon in a post to activate the quick reply box? Can't it just be activated without needing to do that?

Message Posting and Editing Options
Quick Reply

( ) No
( ) Yes, Click Not Required
( ) Yes, Click Required

If you enable Quick Reply, a box will appear on the showthread.php page allowing users to reply to the current thread without needing to load the full newreply.php page.

When Quick Reply is enabled, you may specify whether or not users must click the Quick Reply icon in order to start typing in the Quick Reply editor.

If you choose not to require a click, the system will not know to which post a user is replying, making both the threaded and hybrid display modes nonsensical.

We strongly recommend that you set the option to require a click if you use Quick Reply and have Threaded Mode available on your forums.

I'm on other boards which use the Quick Reply feature, and none of them require clicking. Users know that if they need to quote a post, they use the "Quote" button for a post, and otherwise, they can just type their reply in the Quick Reply box without having to click anywhere. It's not a problem at all.

But this isn't the end of the world. Although it's not the best setting, it's nowhere near the worst parameter setting on NSXprime. (IMHO, the three worst parameter settings are (a) the one which creates the "post edited by xxx at x:xx on mm/dd/yy" after about a minute, not giving you enough time (10-15 minutes) to clean up your post after posting, (b) the one which prevents you from editing a post after 60 days, which is a particular problem in the marketplace forums when you want to change an asking price or a photo, and (c) the one that fills in a default title above every post.)

I don't use threaded/hybrid mode, but what happens when you hit the big reply button at the top and bottom of every thread page? Does the system get confused as to which post the user is replying to as well? I don't see the difference.

And I agree with Ken on point (a). I try to put a lot of thought into my posts before replying, but my brain is slow and I often have to edit my posts to make them more concise and coherent sounding, and a minute just isn't enough.

Last edited:
I'm on other boards which use the Quick Reply feature, and none of them require clicking.

OK, so either they have threaded and hybrid view modes disabled or those modes probably don't work well on their systems.

(c) the one that fills in a default title above every post.)

I didn't even know that was an option in the software until just now when I looked for it after reading your post. I don't recall hearing anyone complain about that before. It is not inherently obvious to me what problem this causes or why one would want the default to be a blank title for their replies to a thread. Care to share?

Agree with Ken. Having to click on a quick reply icon sorta doesn't make this "quick." :)

Well I can disable threaded and hybrid view modes and make it a no-click quick reply box. But I have no idea how many people use those modes. I know it's not the majority since they are not the default view modes, but I don't know how many people do or how attached they are to them. I guess since it puts a function name in the URL when you switch to those view modes I could do some analysis on the web server logs and check the number of times those parameters appear in a given month versus linear normal thread views for the month. I can't say that is at the top of my priority list right now though. I guess I can also just disable it and see how many people complain.

I didn't even know that was an option in the software until just now when I looked for it after reading your post. I don't recall hearing anyone complain about that before. It is not inherently obvious to me what problem this causes or why one would want the default to be a blank title for their replies to a thread. Care to share?
When the default fills in the title above the post, the topic title is used, or the title on the previous post. Every post has a title above it, so if someone changes the title, the new title doesn't stand out and gets overlooked. If the default is to leave it blank, it will stand out on the few occasions when someone actually enters a title on his/her post.

Also not a serious problem though, not as much as the other two parameters I mentioned...

When the default fills in the title above the post, the topic title is used, or the title on the previous post. Every post has a title above it, so if someone changes the title, the new title doesn't stand out and gets overlooked. If the default is to leave it blank, it will stand out on the few occasions when someone actually enters a title on his/her post.

OK thanks for explaining. I think I understand what you are saying. However, I would also think that in most cases when someone wants to change the title of the topic of their reply, it would be best if they split it off as a new thread. I have occasionally seen people try to put information into the title of their reply and I don't understand why they do that instead of just putting it in the body of the reply.

Also not a serious problem though, not as much as the other two parameters I mentioned...

The "edited by" stamp may bug people who don't want their message to show an edit just because they fixed a typo or something, but it isn't a "problem" in that it doesn't affect any functionality in any way. Sorry if it bugs you.

The number of days for the edit window has been discussed pretty thoroughly in another thread here recently so I'm not going to rehash that. I agree it is imperfect.

I guess I can also just disable it and see how many people complain.

I just disabled threaded / hybrid viewing. If nobody complains I'll just leave it disabled and enable the no-click quick reply box. I don't really care either way, but I'm not going to break something people use without at least getting an idea of how many people use it.

Message Posting and Editing Options
Quick Reply

( ) No
( ) Yes, Click Not Required
( ) Yes, Click Required

If you enable Quick Reply, a box will appear on the showthread.php page allowing users to reply to the current thread without needing to load the full newreply.php page.

When Quick Reply is enabled, you may specify whether or not users must click the Quick Reply icon in order to start typing in the Quick Reply editor.

If you choose not to require a click, the system will not know to which post a user is replying, making both the threaded and hybrid display modes nonsensical.

We strongly recommend that you set the option to require a click if you use Quick Reply and have Threaded Mode available on your forums.

Where is this option/feature? I've been looking and can't find it.

Where is this option/feature? I've been looking and can't find it.

vBulletin Options / Message Posting and Editing Options, and then it's at the top of that section. At least in this version of the software.

Also since it has been a week since I disabled the threaded mode view and nobody has complained, I have to assume not too many people use it so I enabled the no-click quick reply option.

Weird, I tried to type directly into the quick reply box earlier and I had to click on the icon. However, this reply allowed me to type right into the box.

Thanks

Weird, I tried to type directly into the quick reply box earlier and I had to click on the icon. However, this reply allowed me to type right into the box.

I had just made the change right when I posted this:

Also since it has been a week since I disabled the threaded mode view and nobody has complained, I have to assume not too many people use it so I enabled the no-click quick reply option.

Back