• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can't get the NSX off my mind

Are you people nuts? He stated that the purchase of a NSX was starting to toy with their long term financial plans. His wife is going to have a baby. What about the long term planing for his kids future? When does the long term reality hit in for you folks? For gods sake, this is a car. Where does your responsibility lie? I am so tired of reading posts of how some 20 year old kid asks about how he can finance a $25,000 car. I mean really, where does your responsibilities lie? In these economic times, how much will a college education costs for his child? Who is going to pay for our economic situation? Your children. What will there lifestyle be? OK, who cares, just buy a used NSX to satisfy your gratification. WOW!

Maybe we read the post a little differently - I didn't see any financial hardship in the OP. He said he was a planner, and so am I. So he has to change his plan, so what? Its not like he is going to stop taking care of his family to buy this car! And whats wrong with a 20 year old borrowing 25K to buy this car? I wish I had purchased this car sooner! Not everyone has that kind of money sitting around. And many who do, like myself, rather pay a little interest to keep the cash on hand in case the poop hits the fan. Do I pay a premium to have my cake and eat it too? sure... but thats because I don't have GOBBS of money. It seems that some car folks don't like it when "poor people" get cars they have. I am not sure why that is, this isn't some exclusive club. Its a 25k car! So what if he doesn't have enough to pay off his car on the spot! The other post about the guy who is physically challenged is very compelling as well. Enjoy it when your young and still can. You never know what tomorrow will bring.

So what if he sells his other car, and buys an NSX. I didn't hear him say this will be his ONLY car. I am sure he will pick up something else for a daily car. Maybe it wont be as nice as a TL.... so what? Who is to say that the luxury of a TL is any less foolish than the speed of an NSX and a less impressive daily driver.

And here is another point - He could drive the NSX for a couple years and sell it for about the same price he got it for. He could prob. do the same with his daily driver if he got something older like a four door integra LS. Im sure it wont depreciate THAT much more in the next couple of years.

The OP seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I am sure he is going to take care of his family first, that goes without saying!!! He didnt say he had to actually touch his long term finances, he said in order to NOT touch his long term finances he would have to sell the TL... WHATS WRONG WITH THAT????

Just to clarify... My priorities have changed since turning 40 last week. Kids' college education, retirement, and investments now all come first.

I'll always have a car project to satisfy my needs, but only within my means.

"Happy Life- Happy Wife!!!" (new life moto)

To the OP- Do whatever you like while you're still young. Buy that dream house, car, and/or vacation only if you can swing it, because death is just around the corner.

Jason has a good point and so do others. We don't really know what this guys financial situation is. But threads like this sound like "Dear Abby" to me. I can't help laughing - I mean doesn't this guy know what to do? Is he on here to get some courage? I'm not sure anyone really knows how to answer this - it either warrants a physcological profile or a financial one or both. Hard to give folks you really don't know good advice when it comes to stuff like this.

Hell when a person gets up there in Alaska and it's dark for half the year and the weather is awful - I mean what else do you have to dream about but sunny skies and driving a sports car....all I can say is that salaries in Alaska are probably way above the national average cause your up there in a fairly remote kind of area. Maybe he's got a job like one that engineers used to get in Saudi Arabia where you make piles of dough and are making a big "nut" for the future - who the heck knows.

"Dear Abby, I would like to buy a sports car.....what do ya think?" Mmmmm - bet there are some good roads up there for about 3 or 4 months a year....? More power to him! Who's gonna work on it - hell he can't put but 2000 miles a year on it - who cares....lol. Happy trails dude! :biggrin:

Don't forget everyone, my wife has a car, and I'd get a beater. There would be no lack of seats. As for my TL, the back seat has been used twice. The trunk has nothing in it except a winter survival kit. I drive my wife's car or ride my bike most of the winter (rocks here are bad). But we get 6 months of NSX weather. Most nights I poke my head in the garage just to look at my car!

b4731d6c.jpg

I understand that no one here knows me. However, we all have a common love. I also understand that no one here has the whole picture. Our financial plan includes 401k withholding, savings accounts with annual par increases, and annual CD purchases for the gain to liquidity benefit. It's not much, but the fact that I have to borrow to purchase this car really does paint most of the picture. We're not sacrificing the long term plan at all, we just wouldn't have as much to put towards it.

The weakest link in this plan would be the financing. However, it wouldn't take long to pay it off. I financed the TL, but had it paid off pretty quick. Another thing that bothers me is that society thinks it's okay to have a $650 monthly payment on a 4 door luxury sedan, but not on a sports car. Yes, one can be considered a luxury, but that is what my TL is right now. Again, it only has 10,900 miles on it is almost four years old.

So, my family has appropriate, safe transportation, my TL is already babied like an NSX, I just don't have the cash to lay down. I was once told that you shouldn't borrow to purchase a luxury item or a toy. This makes a lot of sense to me and is what holds me back the most.

As far as college tuition goes, I'm going to let my child be who they want to be. In other words, I'm not going to save specifically for their tuition and then force them to attend. Simply by living with us, she'll see the benefits of going. If she/they decide to go, then we'll find a way for them to pay for it. I paid for mine. My wife paid for hers. Why do I have to pay for theirs too? It's called a loan. You get a loan, graduate, and pay it off in a year (if you obtained a degree that makes money, which is the whole point for education if you ask me).

I could keep the TL, but it would make me sad too. I'd hate to park her on the driveway and only drive in bad weather. I don't mind driving a beater (did that most of my life). Just knowing there is an NSX in my garage while I back-fire to work would be enough for me.

snowtl.jpg

For now, I'm going to let the dust settle with the family. However, I am going to be in Portland in July this summer. I'll at least try to locate one for sale to go see.

Wait. You have no way to forsee what the expenses for your child will be and it comes first. Period. There will always be an NSX for sale somewhere, so be patient. Right now, you have a really bad case of new car fever. Go wrestle a grizzly or Sarah Palin and call me in the morning.:wink:

Last edited:
Wait. You have no way to forsee what the expenses for your child will be and it comes first. Period. There will always be an NSX for sale somewhere, so be patient. Right now, you have a really bad case of new car fever. Go wrestle a grizzly or Sarah Palin and call me in the morning.:wink:

I totally agree. However, when is it okay to purchase then? If it's not a good idea because of the baby on the way, will there ever be a good time? She'll be here in April. Do I wait 18 years, or 18 months after she's born? I understand waiting until after the birth to make sure I have the resources to cover unknowns, but the unknowns will be around for 18 years!

I don't really have any other hobbies. I see guys that go on international hunting trips twice a year, people that get new cars every year (thousands wasted), and hobbies like snow machines that are all under the radar but cost just as much. My problem is that this is one big red asset sitting in the garage that has a stigma attached to it. If I buy now, I'm selfish, if I buy later, it's a midlife crisis.

I can tell you that I defineatly use the nsx much less after having children...no longer can the family unit utilize a two seat car.Can you change your lust to include the s2000?Very fun car solid looks good and wind in your hair,and you can get good examples all day for 12k.

I've never driven an S2000, but no interest. I've never really liked convertibles. It's the exotic look of the NSX that draws me to it. I'm not a speed demon or an autocross guy. I just like the car. I want to wax it (I'm sick). I drove a black on black NSX in 1997 and loved it, every angle, inside and out.

...she gave me some of the best advice I have ever gotten:

"if you don't get it now, you may never get it"...

You are one lucky guy! That's the kind of lady that I aspire to lock in one day. I made my NSX purchase under a similar "financial strain" albeit I am not married nor do I have children.

It is worth every penny when I take it out for a spin. Will it be worth it to to OP? No one can know for sure but him. The best advice I can give is do what you can with what you have.

Now I am thinking of either picking up a second NSX or another two seater midengine sportscar...oh lord decisions.:rolleyes:

Mug,

Thanks for bringing up this topic; it has been a fun thread.

I have been in lust with the NSX since 1990. At that time it cost about as much as my house was worth. I remember explaining to my wife that we could live in the NSX (really).

Fast forward 18 years (two kids, started a business and bought a bigger house) and could afford my dream car. I pulled the trigger, paid cash and have lived the dream of owning an NSX for almost three years.

You have described yourself as a planner and are willing to sacrifice to own an NSX; these are both good qualities that will serve you well as you move towards this goal.

Take the time to plan your work and then work your plan. The NSX is a dream worth realizing, regardless of how long it takes.

You'll get there,

Matt

You are one lucky guy! That's the kind of lady that I aspire to lock in one day. I made my NSX purchase under a similar "financial strain" albeit I am not married nor do I have children.

It is worth every penny when I take it out for a spin. Will it be worth it to to OP? No one can know for sure but him. The best advice I can give is do what you can with what you have.

Now I am thinking of either picking up a second NSX or another two seater midengine sportscar...oh lord decisions.:rolleyes:

I came close to marriage with a couple other girls, I am so glad I dodged those bullets! My wife is a diamond in the rough... but she is not the only one. I would like to hear from some of these people when they think an NSX is a good idea. It is NEVER a good time to buy one. Personally I think rather than a lecture about financing a car is wrong, maybe they can acknowledge that we waited for the car to depreciate and not buy it new. My 36K car loan makes sense to me... i get the car and keep the cash on hand in case of emergency or opportunity.

THis is a funny video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWnAdB-vkXo

J

i choose to be alone with my cars. haha. some girls have come close to breaking me, but i push them away...

I'm not married and I don't have children, but if I were in your situation, I think I would be thinking about my wife, child and their future. The car can wait.

+1. Your priorities will change dramatically after your 1st born!

+1. Your priorities will change dramatically after your 1st born!

Now as I read your list of cars - tell us how this affected you????? :biggrin:

Does that mean our OP can start building his stable....first the NSX, then the GT3 wow, if having kids gets you all that - well there would be a baby boom right now. Sorry couldn't resist...:wink:

Now as I read your list of cars - tell us how this affected you????? :biggrin:

Does that mean our OP can start building his stable....first the NSX, then the GT3 wow, if having kids gets you all that - well there would be a baby boom right now. Sorry couldn't resist...:wink:

kids = cars... how much is welfare paying these days?! :biggrin:

Call Suze Orman OP. I just want to hear what she says about buying a sports car. If she approves your good to go.

Yeah....good point. She'd probably slap me, then Oprah would publicly humiliate me more than this thread.

I say do it! When I see this:
"However, when is it okay to purchase then? If it's not a good idea because of the baby on the way, will there ever be a good time? She'll be here in April. Do I wait 18 years, or 18 months after she's born? I understand waiting until after the birth to make sure I have the resources to cover unknowns, but the unknowns will be around for 18 years!"
I can tell you really want the car, if you can afford it and it doesnt interfere with your financial situation I would do it. Just dont sell your TL to finance the nsx. I would save up a little bit of cash and then finance it. If you sold the TL you would lose a big chunk of money. When I was 22 I took a $12,000 loan for the car and now I am 24 soon to be 25 I am 5 months away from owning it. I never regret getting the car even though I am still a college student working part time. When ever school is rough I just drive around and by the time I am home I feel recharged. Like many prime members on here I dont think anyone actually regret getting the car. It is an awesome car, and if it makes you happy why not pull the trigger? All I can say is you will not regret getting the car, just take your time and find the right one.

My suggestion would be to shelf the idea for 6 months. If at that time, once you've had some time to adjust to the baby being born, and have made any needed adjustments to your financial plans, if it still seems like a good idea, get it. It's an emotional time for you right now, don't do something you'll regret - you can always get it later.:smile:

My suggestion would be to shelf the idea for 6 months. If at that time, once you've had some time to adjust to the baby being born, and have made any needed adjustments to your financial plans, if it still seems like a good idea, get it. It's an emotional time for you right now, don't do something you'll regret - you can always get it later.:smile:

Yes, that is the plan for now. I just need to get this car out of my head for a while!

Back