• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho
  • ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Cantrell Air Induction System/Uni Dual Stage Foam Filter = 6.9 hp / 4.1 tq peak gain

We had the chance last weekend during our open house to do some testing of the Cantrell AIS and UNI Dual Stage Foam Filter. The car used for testing is a 1991 with around 38k miles. The testing was completed on a Dynapak chassis dyno in back-to-back pulls within 15 minutes of each other. The first run was with the stock intake track and stock filter paper filter. The second run was with the AIS system and UNI filter installed.

Since the dyno is stationary, and we had no fans setup to supply cool air to the side vents, we had limited expectations of power gains. However, we were impressed by the near 7 rear wheel horsepower and 4 lb/ft of torque gains. The torque gains are apparent through out the RPM range with increased torque as high as 6 lb/ft at certain RPM. The most obvious gain in the past has been increased throttle response and we're happy to show the two mods producing significant power gains.

You can find more information about the AIS and UNI filter here:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exhaust_airflow_products/NSX/Cantrell_Concepts/AIS/

You can find the dyno here:
dyno-chang-AISUNI.gif

You can find more information about the car used here:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/revolutionized/featured_customer_cars/Chang/

Cheers,
-- Chris

shop.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Cantrell Air Induction System/Uni Dual Stage Foam Filter = 6.9 hp / 4.1 tq peak gain

Very impressive gain for those two mods.

Re: Cantrell Air Induction System/Uni Dual Stage Foam Filter = 6.9 hp / 4.1 tq peak gain

very nice. i know a lot of people were waiting for a back to back dyno on this mod. thanks Chris.

rk

I bought this set up during the group buy and its been sitting in my closet for months. Now I have a feeling it will magically "appear" on my car by this weekend :biggrin:

Finally, a paper justification for my Cantrell AIS that was installed 2+ years ago :wink:

But here is adumb question as i never was good in physics. If HP and Torque are both higher with AIS/Filter across the band, shouldn't you hit a higher speed at the same final RPM or just get their sooner :confused:

Hrant said:
Finally, a paper justification for my Cantrell AIS that was installed 2+ years ago :wink:

But here is adumb question as i never was good in physics. If HP and Torque are both higher with AIS/Filter across the band, shouldn't you hit a higher speed at the same final RPM or just get their sooner :confused:

What are the mods on the car?

No engine mods. Just trying to understand the numbers. With more torque and HP, all other thing being equal, shouldn't you get higher mph at the same 7800 RPM test in a before after test?

No. The speed of the wheels (and the car), and the speed of the engine (RPM) are connected by the fixed ratio of the gears in the transmission. But, if you have more horsepower, yes, you would have a slightly higher top speed in the real world. You are limited by drag, not RPM in the top gear. So you won't necessarily hit 7800 RPM, but you'll get a little closer with a little more HP. Hope this helps.

Hrant said:
No engine mods. Just trying to understand the numbers. With more torque and HP, all other thing being equal, shouldn't you get higher mph at the same 7800 RPM test in a before after test?

Chris

How about another group buy for those of us who didn't know about the first one?

Bob, not sure if I follow the physics in here but that is not the first time :wink:

I understand more HP gives more high end speed conditional on drag. But there is no drag in this test as it was done on a Dyno. With both more HP and torque and no drag, why not higher speeds at the same 7800? As for gearing, that did not change and I assume they must have run it in 3rd given the 115 mph at 7800 on a 91?

Because gears give you a fixed ratio. If you have a 3:2 ratio, you turn the input shaft 3 times around, and the output goes around 2 times. It doesn't matter how hard you turn it, the ratio is the same. In the same way, by your example, if you turn the engine at 7800, the drive train turns the wheels at the speed corresponding to 115 mph, no matter how hard the engine has to push to do it. Does that help? :smile:

Also, take a look at the gear ratio FAQ page:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Technical/gearratios.htm
It shows the gear ratios and top MPH for the different years. It doesn't matter about power, those are the speed the car goes at 8000 rpm. (Actually, it looks like there's an error in the table, the speeds for 3rd gear in the first two columns should be the same. That doesn't help the confusion.)

Hrant said:
Bob, not sure if I follow the physics in here but that is not the first time :wink:

I understand more HP gives more high end speed conditional on drag. But there is no drag in this test as it was done on a Dyno. With both more HP and torque and no drag, why not higher speeds at the same 7800? As for gearing, that did not change and I assume they must have run it in 3rd given the 115 mph at 7800 on a 91?

In the same way, by your example, if you turn the engine at 7800, the drive train turns the wheels at the speed corresponding to 115 mph, no matter how hard the engine has to push to do it. Does that help?

Hmmmmmmmm, somewhere in this equation we are losing efficiency or energy in my book. If I push harder (ie, more torque) with the same final speed due to the gearing (so far I am with you), then I must get there sooner as a benefit otherwise where does that additional push go? I know about wheel spin :biggrin: So, if it is not higher speed then it must be faster to that same speed no?

Yes. You'll get there faster (more acceleration), but the top speed would be the same. Disclaimer: I'm not saying whether or not the AIS will give you any noticeable improvements, even though I put one on my car. :biggrin:

Hrant said:
In the same way, by your example, if you turn the engine at 7800, the
drive train turns the wheels at the speed corresponding to 115 mph, no matter how hard the engine has to push to do it. Does that help?

Hmmmmmmmm, somewhere in this equation we are losing efficiency or energy in my book. If I push harder (ie, more torque) with the same final speed due to the gearing (so far I am with you), then I must get there sooner as a benefit otherwise where does that additional push go? I know about wheel spin :biggrin: So, if it is not higher speed then it must be faster to that same speed no?

what the masses have...

hmmm... I'd be curious on the dyno results of having the Cantrell AIS used w/ an OEM air filter or the K&N aftermarket air filter (not the cone intake). These two air filters seem to be what the majority of NSX'ers use (just based on my observations!). :smile:

I am seriously considering the Cantrell AIS, and a dyno of it's performance w/ the aformentioned air filters, I'd be easily swayed towards a decision!
:cool:

Osiris, I think you're better off not using the K&N filter or the stock air filter.

Here's why:

This thread shows that the K&N filter has LESS surface area than the stock filter!! With the extra air coming in why would you want a smaller air filter?

The Uni filter has at least if not a lot more surface than the stock filter, and its construction seems to be of a high quality design that will keep out the extra dirt due to the higher air flow.

I wouldn't trust a stock filter (when I saw mine, I was appalled at how thin the filter paper looked) with an after-market induction system. Nor would I trust the K&N Filter...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=383488&postcount=15

hi guys -- We've been running group buys when Cantrell Concepts produces a batch of units. This happens about 3 times a year. We just had a group buy recently. We will look into running another group buy when a new batch is produced towards the end of the summer. The group buys run around $30.00 off.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Fastrunner said:
Yeah, Chris; how about it? :biggrin:

This was one of the first mods I did, and I loved the results.
The sound is awesome!!!
The car seemed to have a little more pick up but I didn't know if it was psychological or not. Now that the numbers are in...it does have a little more HP. :biggrin:

Thanks for the dyno test, that is great results:biggrin:

I have been super happy with Cantrell AIS/Uni foam filter combo in my NSX, the sound alone was well worth the purchase.

Last edited:

Hi Chris,
Was just wondering how much of the gains would be attributable to just the AIS system and how much to the Uni-filter.
Do you have any ideas on that ??

MvM said:
Hi Chris,
Was just wondering how much of the gains would be attributable to just the AIS system and how much to the Uni-filter.
Do you have any ideas on that ??

Me too. It seems to me that both the stock intake and the AIS funnel air into the same hole in the air filter housing. If there is no ram air effect like most speculate, than there should be no difference directing the pipe of the stock intake into the outside air vs. the funnel of the CIS into the outside air. Again, they both take air from the same place and it always goes into the same hole. I might buy just the filter.

Chris@SoS said:
hi guys -- We've been running group buys when Cantrell Concepts produces a batch of units. This happens about 3 times a year. We just had a group buy recently. We will look into running another group buy when a new batch is produced towards the end of the summer. The group buys run around $30.00 off.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Does that mean no AIS group buy in time for me on summer drives. :frown: :redface: :frown: :redface: boo...hoo...

Back