• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

PROSPEED NSX Cold Air Intake System

Prospeed Cold Air Intake System

Hi Primers,

We are proud to introduce a new and exciting product for the NSX.... The Prospeed Cold Air Intake System. Lately we have been testing a lot of NSX's and we noticed that the NSX pulls a considerable amount of vacuum and that is a sure sign of a restriction on the intake side. Since you guys know that we like to dyno test and improve on everything =) we decided to build a proper intake system and dispel some of the myths that the OEM intake box is the best out there.

One of the first things we wanted to do was to relocate the air filter away from the engine compartment. We thought about about relocated the filter to the intake duct in front of the rear driver side tire however the intake length was a little too short for our liking. We decided to go the opposite direction and relocate the air filter to the back rear fender. This was a great location because it allowed us to run a larger air filter while being protected from water and heat. By relocating the air filter away in the rear fender it allowed us to properly tune the inlet pipe length and diameter (Resonance Tuning). This produced some excellent results.

The Prospeed CAI made approximately 8-10whp from 5600 rpm to 7800 rpm. It also picked up approximately 5-6 ft lbs of torque at the same rpm.

The power is noticeable as you hit VTEC and pull to redline. Torque is felt instantly from the beginning.

Dyno: Dynapak
Car: 1991 NSX 5 speed with 183,XXX miles
Temperature was approximately 6-9 degrees warmer than the previous dyno session.

We dyno tested the NSX on the same day and within 30 minutes of each other to eliminate variables. We didn't do any tuning to the ecu. Just bolt on and dyno. We made 3 passes with the stock airbox and 3 passes with the Prospeed CAI.

-Stock Air Box is uneven dotted line
-Prospeed CAI is even dotted line

RESULTS:

Power and Torque
JacquelineNSXPwrJun12web.jpg

AFR's (No tuning was done and AFR's are nearly identical)
JacquelineNSXAFRonlyJun12.jpg

Vacuum readings (The Prospeed CAI is clearing less restrictive as it pulls less vacuum)
JacquelineNSXvacJun12web.jpg

Why choose the Prospeed Cold Air Intake System?

-High quality grade 6061 aluminum for all piping (Carbon fiber is an option)
-Made in the USA 4 ply silicone hose connectors
-Made in use clamp connectors normally used for turbo piping
-Tuned length and larger 3.5" diameter piping
-Oil free high filtration and flow filter for maximum breathing.
-Improved sound
-Dyno tested and proven innovative design
-No extreme air fuel ratio changes to insure proper AFR's
-Performance ceramic coating as an upgrade (great for cooler temps)
-Carbon Fiber Top engine bay piping as an upgrade (great for nice engine bay)
-Completely bolt on and fully reversible
-Fender liner can be reattached
-Designed and made in the USA

Price:

For 91-05 NSX

MSRP $325 Intro Price is $295 for first 5 customers

Upgrades:

-Ceramic Coating $60
-Carbon Fiber Intake bay top piping $50

Here are the pics. Sorry for the picture quality, we will have high res pics up soon.

Top View
Top.jpg

Bottom View
bottom.jpg

Last edited:
an intake with proper dyno results??? hmm, sorry, i prefer pretty intakes with empty promises. :biggrin:

Congratulations on the fabulous dyno results.

This folks, is a GAME CHANGER.

There is room for improvement over the stock air-box. It just took the right design. Kudos to thinking about running the piping THAT way.

What filter was used in the oem airbox and was the oem intake scoop used for the test of the oem airbox?

Amazingly... you should get higher results from this location when the car is in motion as the rear side from 12 o'clock to 5 o'clock is the lowest pressure on a moving car... creating an intake vacuum would be the outcome of this design.

4536707564.jpg

Not to tell you what to do but to share aero knowledge... change the part to eliminate the obvious problem of cleaning your air filter more often than pumping gas (air and debri are forced to low pressure areas)... would be to incorporate a duct/scoop to the “outside of the box” thinking done with the current filter location - changing it to the inlet scoop for the stock airbox at the rear of the wheel well… and if you want to be the guy who sells to the masses.. make a real wheel well do this :)

Then you get your "game changer” without a “constant filter changer” & “rear quarter panel damage” to accompany it.

Common knowledge of wide body owners is spider cracks in the paint on rear q-panels from rocks due to no wheel wells..

Nice concept… don’t take it out of r&d yet man… your concept has room for improvement… run with it :)

Last edited:
Nice to have another CAI option. I like the fact that you still utilize the OEM coupler & your 3.5" pipe should increase flow rate, however, the air filter should have been position right on the side scoop so that you have a ram air affect. If you consider having this option later, make sure the air filter is slim so that it fits well in between that tight fender well & liner.
I will buy in a heartbeat if you opt for this too. :wink:

Timeless: there are 2 problems with the behind-the-scoop design:

1. (Very important) - this design only allows for about 21-23" total of pipe length (from filter to throttle body). I think the engine wants at least 32" of pipe length.

2. There is a very small selection of air filters that will fit in there, and it is questionable as to whether the ones that do fit in there have enough surface area. Plus, the small air filters definitely don't allow for a velocity stack to be integrated.

I like to see new products for our old classic. Not to be party pooper but seeing the angle of the intake in the "top view" pic make me like i could do this myself. The b-Line and the dali python intakes have offset the tubing to make it a little better on the eyes.:smile: Just an opinion.

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/x-images/dali-python-intake.image.jpg

http://blinemotorsports.com/images/intake/nsx_intake2_site.jpg

I thought about that but I prefer to reduce the amount of welds, bends and materials used. In it's current form (length and diameter) it produces great proven power on an NA NSX. I would love to see this intake on a supercharged NSX... =)

Timeless: there are 2 problems with the behind-the-scoop design:

1. (Very important) - this design only allows for about 21-23" total of pipe length (from filter to throttle body). I think the engine wants at least 32" of pipe length.

2. There is a very small selection of air filters that will fit in there, and it is questionable as to whether the ones that do fit in there have enough surface area. Plus, the small air filters definitely don't allow for a velocity stack to be integrated.

You are correct... Ram air is overrated IMO... With the fender liner attached the air goes through the duct and through the fender. Most importantly the filter is not getting hot air from the engine bay.

Get me a 58psi RDX NA tune on your chip and let's make this happen! :biggrin:

lol, It's not in the cards anytime soon right now. We went there and won't revisit it for awhile. We have other projects in the works like this intake system.

lol, It's not in the cards anytime soon right now. We went there and won't revisit it for awhile. We have other projects in the works like this intake system.
bummer.. well CTSC NSXs are a dime a dozen here in Socal. I'm sure someone else will raise their hand.

I'd like to see a big bore TB and a port matched CTSC intake snout paired up with this intake to be honest..

bummer.. well CTSC NSXs are a dime a dozen here in Socal. I'm sure someone else will raise their hand.

I'd like to see a big bore TB and a port matched CTSC intake snout paired up with this intake to be honest..

Don't worry bud... we will get there soon. =)

I would too and it will be in the works shortly!

I don't think ram air works. Cl65 captain has posted several times on the topic and you have to be at much higher speeds than cars travel to get any benefit. Looks promising though, Ross has valid points regarding practicality as does KO regarding aesthetics, IMHO. Glad to see your dyno results!

The last piece of the puzzle!

It is now possible to go PROSPEED Intake -> PROSPEE headers -> PROSPEED cats -> PROSPEED exhaust with RDX injectors and a custom tune.

Now there's a fast NA car. Who will be the first to put it together and show us the numbers?

I don't think ram air works. Cl65 captain has posted several times on the topic and you have to be at much higher speeds than cars travel to get any benefit. Looks promising though, Ross has valid points regarding practicality as does KO regarding aesthetics, IMHO. Glad to see your dyno results!

Once I get the high res pics and coating on it you guys will see how nice it looks. =) remember this pics above are the prototype for testing purposes. The ultimate goal in the end is to make more hp and to make it bolt on within the confined spaces of the fender. We believe we achieved that with this design. This is the first dyno I have seen yet that shows conclusive results. I have tested other filters and designs years ago and never showed more then a couple of hp tops.

Ross, Hey bud I know what you mean... and actually thought about that.... as far as wheel well issues the stock fender liner can fit in place to prevent rocks or excessive filter changes with minor modification the the fender liner. The piping is tucked up nicely in the fender =)

The last piece of the puzzle!

It is now possible to go PROSPEED Intake -> PROSPEE headers -> PROSPEED cats -> PROSPEED exhaust with RDX injectors and a custom tune.

Now there's a fast NA car. Who will be the first to put it together and show us the numbers?

Thanks, I don't offer headers but I am working hard to offer a complete package for the NSX that produces power.

Last edited:
Thanks, I don't offer headers but I am working hard to offer a complete package for the NSX that produces power.

My bad, I thought you did. Let me check the settings on my time machine :wink:

Ross, Hey bud I know what you mean... and actually thought about that.... as far as wheel well issues the stock fender liner can fit in place to prevent rocks or excessive filter changes with minor modification the the fender liner. The piping is tucked up nicely in the fender =)

What are the "minor modifications" required to the fender liner?

Don't worry bud... we will get there soon. =)

I would too and it will be in the works shortly!

Waiting to see this one. Lots of CTSC owners here.

Waiting to see this one. Lots of CTSC owners here.
Dave, if these types of modifications are made to the stock CTSC and if this frees up the flow as much on an NA as it will on the SC... you'll likely need to retune the RRFPR on the stock CTSC or just upgrade to some kind of piggyback or EMS. That's the only caveat I see for CTSC owners.

What are the "minor modifications" required to the fender liner?

We are actually modified the piping so there are no longer any modifications. You can reattach the OEM fender liner with no modification now. Running the fender liner will prevent rocks,dirt and water from getting to the filter. :smile:

Ross, Hey bud I know what you mean... and actually thought about that.... as far as wheel well issues the stock fender liner can fit in place to prevent rocks or excessive filter changes with minor modification the the fender liner. The piping is tucked up nicely in the fender =).

Brian... my man... Senna drove a twin turbo 1200 hp F1 car.. Richard Hamilton drives an 800 hp McLaren. F1 cars today are faster than they were then. Why a 25% drop in power - the understanding of high and low pressure - aerodynamics, blown diffuser, f-duct, canards, louvers.. not more cylinders or a third head... ect ect ect.

Now... The reason your intake has done better than others is the brilliant outside of the box thinking. Even on a dyno pressure is formed before and after the centerline of the hub. Low pressure did that…

Ram air has been mentioned.. this is a high pressure system.. a low pressure system = vacuum… which one do you think is better 

Your goal was to make more power.. why did the goal change to “beat stock airbox”… why is everyone so mad that Hondas design was perfect.

******News flash***** most mid and rear engine cars have close to perfect air boxes – superior car manufactures typical build them… build them for performance reasons… and it easy to pull air from outside the engine bay

You figured something out… now understand why… people asked you = why are rdx injectors making power – you said spray pattern… well why did this location make power = low pressure

Alexander graham bell invented the telephone.. I rock an iphone.. thanks Al….. AND EVERY PERSON AFTER HIM THAT SAID IT COULD BE BETTER

The fender liner comment was in regards to what people will want and that rocks damaging parts.

And Before you can call this a "game changer" to the oem airbox.. you gonna have to put a fender liner in run a dyno... IMO... in this application... it’s like the difference between having sex or sex with a condom... two completely different applications... two different experiences... two completely different results.

Cover that filter in plastic… the pressure goes away 

This is motivating not bashing.. I said what I feel you needed to hear… ill stay away from posting again

Regards

Back