• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car won't start :(

After driving my car all day today, suddenly it won't start. I have driven it 4 different times today, each time it sat no more than 3 hours, however this last time, it just wont start. Looking for some ideas before I have it towed :(

1) Ingition fires and it is consistently trying to turn over
2) Sounds like it is getting no fuel whatsoever, behaving very much as if it is out of gas (There is indeed 3/4 tank I filled it up this morning)

And so it sits... Haven't had any odd starting behavior from it since my ingition switch replacement last year.

I did, however have some anomalous TCS behaviour and saw a recent post about fuel related items causing trouble, possibly related? My TCS problems had seemingly gone away over the past few months though.

Ideas?

JS

Main Relay located in the engine bay passenger side rear wall....looks like a box with fins. Might be your problem...try borrowing someones to try if it starts then thats the problem..

Mike

That is what went out on mine when it wouldnt start. Try this. Take off the panel. Then take a wrench of something heavy and tap on it while trying to start the car. Mine started right up. Saved the towing fees etc. Then I just got a new one... it was cheap.

Hope that works for you.

Jonathan,

You must first determine if it is a fuel problem or a spark problem. Remove a coil cover (front is easier) and remove a coil, you can remove a spark plug and install it in the coil and ground the outside threads. Have someone crank the engine over and check for spark. If you have no spark you can throubeshoot why.

When you first turn the ingition on does the fuel pump run for a few seconds?? If not could be the main relay as Mike suggests and/or fuel pump relay. Mike's advice to swap is a good idea, quick and easy:)

If you have spark, reinstall everything then loosen the fuel line just above the valve cover (front side, big brass looking bolt) and put this hose is a large plastic bottle (like a milk jug, or gatorade bottle), have someone crank the engine. If the bottle is not filling rapidly then you have a fuel problem.

Keep us posted

HTH,
LarryB

my '02 almost didn't start the other day,drove to a fast food joint went inside to get my lunch because the drive through window is to high and when i went to leave my car wouldn't start.:mad:
finally started and blew a bunch of smoke out.:mad:

thinking about trading it for a SL500. :confused:

pok8rok8 said:
Main Relay located in the engine bay passenger side rear wall....looks like a box with fins. Might be your problem...try borrowing someones to try if it starts then thats the problem..

Mike

Ditto!
:D
Z

Could be anything, faulty fuel pump relay, bad ignition module, bad gas, bad injector(s) / fuel pump, etc, the list goes on...

Instead of spend hours and $$$ on what you think might be the cause.... Check the basics my friend!

1) Has the Engine light come on over the last few days/weeks, look for problem codes in ECU. Does the TCS indicator light go on and out 2 sec after ingintion is turned on? If not see page 19-82 of 91 serivce manual.

2) Is the Engine getting Fuel?

3) Is the Engine getting Air?

4) Is the Engine getting spark?

5) Is the Battery Voltage measure 11 ~ 12.6 during crank cycle about 15sec?

If you car passes all this, time to look more closely at each item to see if something is intermittent...

:)

Last edited:
Well after sitting for 12 hours it started up without fail repeatedly.

The Check engine light has never come on, the TCS light, when it 'fails' is very consistent in it's behavior (however as noted earlier in the thread it hadn't happened in quite some time). It almost always happens when the car is cold (not the outside temperature, the engine temp.), it hiccups a bit (doesn't matter whether the clutch is in, or I am on full throttle or just sitting at a stop sign, etc.), the TCS light comes on and stays on until a restart the car.

This happens about once every 10 drives.

Since Monday night I have started the car a dozen times or so without fail.

Odd.:confused:

Jonathan

Having an unreliable car is a pain in the ass.

You engine needs 3 things to run air, fuel and spark. If the starter is turning over the engine you will have air getting sucked in to the cylinders so spark and fuel are really the only things you need to check. Pulling a coil and spark plug is kind of a pain and can be painful if you get between the plug and the car "Zap". Not fatal but you will remember the feeling. To find out if you are missing fuel get a can of starting fluid and when it acts up pop the top of the air cleaner and give it a quick spray and then try it. If it fires its a fuel problem if it doesn't then you are missing spark.

Note: Don't over do the starting fluid you only need a little you don't want to run the car just see if it fires a few cylinders. Oh and I am not talking about the stuff you start you Bar-BQ with.

I hope you can get starting fluid, I did not look where you are from, it may not be available in places that have the constant warm weather. Here in Wisconsin it was the only way the get your car started in sub-zero weather back in the old days b4 fuel injection.

Briank

I think Mike's original comments are looking better and better based on this new info. Many folks here with any intermitent type issue have landed with a relay change!!

HTH,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
I think Mike's original comments are looking better and better based on this new info. Many folks here with any intermitent type issue have landed with a relay change!!

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks Larry for the up and up....I try to think I know some stuff....But this problem is very common in hondas in the early 90's
not just NSX but civics accord.

Mike

Jonathan said:
Well after sitting for 12 hours it started up without fail repeatedly.

The Check engine light has never come on, the TCS light, when it 'fails' is very consistent in it's behavior (however as noted earlier in the thread it hadn't happened in quite some time). It almost always happens when the car is cold (not the outside temperature, the engine temp.), it hiccups a bit (doesn't matter whether the clutch is in, or I am on full throttle or just sitting at a stop sign, etc.), the TCS light comes on and stays on until a restart the car.

This happens about once every 10 drives.

Since Monday night I have started the car a dozen times or so without fail.

Odd.:confused:

I had the same problem with mine and it started getting worse until it wouldn't start anymore. Mine was due to a bad Main Relay, thus I believe it the culprit!

RON300R said:
It's the MAIN RELAY.

Just following up for those searching in the future about related problems, the Main Relay swap fixed both the starting trouble and the TCS issue(s), thanks to everyone for the clean diagnosis.

Back