• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cayman S vs NSX

My cousin just bought a Cayman S. I test drove it last night. Only 150 miles to the car so I couldn't really ring it out. But here is my impressions.

I have to admit the Cayman S is very easy to drive. Quality fit and finish is very good. Clutch, shifter and steering is very driver friendly. Compare to the NSX it is a much easier car to live it as a daily driver. Cayman drive effortlessly where as NSX need a little muscle to drive. The Huge Porsche brakes are not overly sensitive. It is just right. It is a very compact car so maneuvering it is very natural. Storage space is as lacking as the NSX.

Handling and acceleration is right up there with the NSX. However giving that it is 16 year newer than my NSX. I suspect it will be faster on a road course.

I have to say I like it. However, it was 70K out the door and There is no way to look at the engine is still odd to me. I see Porsche a lot differently now that I drove their latest offering. Drove some older Porsche (944, 944 turbo, 911sc) before but this modern Porsche is a totally different animal.

This is a great testament to how good the NSX was, a car designed over 15 yrs ago and still can hang with the lastest offering from Porsche. The Cayman S is a more modern version of the mid-engine, rear drive pure sports car. It is a great car;like the NSX.

Ive had a deposit on one for about 2 years now, but Im still deciding if I want to pull the trigger. Id be adding a car, not replacing but its alot of money. I really dont NEED this car but I always thought a mini-911 would be cool. I only have 1 spot in my garage and for $70k out the door (sport/chrono package) im not so sure. I have a few payments left on my NSX and afterwards I thibk im better off with something a whole lot cheaper.

It looks like the Cayman is the successor to the NSX. The styling is my only concern. I really like the Boxster styling but hate the 911 styling. I'll need to see it in person before I decide if it's on my short list to replace my 1991 NSX in 2009. Right now the C6 Z06 is in 1st place. However, a 2002 NSX is still under consideration as well.

cfra7 said:
It looks like the Cayman is the successor to the NSX. The styling is my only concern. I really like the Boxster styling but hate the 911 styling. I'll need to see it in person before I decide if it's on my short list to replace my 1991 NSX in 2009. Right now the C6 Z06 is in 1st place. However, a 2002 NSX is still under consideration as well.

Hmm..a C6 Z06 or Cayman S....I"ll take the Z06, and I am a Porsche nut.

And as far as the styling, yes you need to see it in person. Pictures really do not do this car justice.

I saw one in person at the porsche dealer last week. I must say that I really liked how it looked. Much better in person.

To me, the car is pretty much on par with NSX performance, but doesn't look "exotic" enough. Still, for $20K less than the NSX, it is a good deal.

I would like to drive one and see how it feels.

As for being easier to drive than a 91 NSX, no doubt that is because of the lack of power steering. NSX's with power steering are a peice of cake.

OH, and I would also take a Z06 over the Cayman since the price is equal. -- of course, I might change my mind after driving them both.

fkong777 said:
The Huge Porsche brakes are not overly sensitive. It is just right

Did he have the optional $8,000 ceramic brakes?

My wife and I got a call from our local P-car dealer telling us that a car exactly like the one we have a deposit down on (except no HID's) was available for sale. We were invited to come down and take it for a spin.

They let us take the car out by ourselves for 20 - 25 minutes.

As I've said before, the car is beautiful in person (Arctic Silver) and pictures don't do it justice.

Pluses:
1) Great engine. It sounds great, rev's well and feels more torquey than the 3.2L motor in our NSX.
2) Structure. Much, much, much stiffer and buttoned down than my 8 year old "T" model NSX.
3) Interior Ergonomics. The full leather interior is beautiful. Lots of space (including headroom which is sorely lacking in my NSX). Everything feels good to the touch and is easy to reach.
4) Awesome brakes (standard steel pots). I was driving on public roads and don't drive crazy but it was clear that these binders work. And they work well.
5) Features. Heated seats, Non-power seats, HID Lamps, etc. All kinds of goodies my NSX doesn't have (or require some mod's to get).
6) Shifter. I think the NSX is just as good but the clutch in the P car felt better. I could really feel the take up point immediately.
7) Storage. I strongly disagree with the original poster. Between the hood and the bonnet there's an ass load of storage space in this car. I could have used the extra storage space at NSXPO to buy some goodies from SOS.

Bad
1) Price. I don't know why the car is priced at a premium over the Boxster S. Seriously.
2) Engine. I know, I just listed this as a plus. But as good as it sounds, it lacks the visceral, screaming, top end that the NSX has. Maybe that changes as the motor breaks in but the dealer told me P cars are broken in when delivered and I should "drive it like I stole it".
3) Exclusivity. Here in S. Orange County, P cars are literally a dime a dozen. Within 6 months the roads will be crawling with these things. I still really like the fact that I can go weeks without seeing another NSX on the road.
4) Visibility. Visibility over the front fenders is excellent and as exciting as the view from the front chair of the NSX. But rearward visibility absolutely sucks. Huge, and I mean huge, blindspots. It seemed as bad (and maybe worse) as my old S2000 with the top up. I'm a bit sensitive to this issue (I'm blind in one eye) and this alone might be enough for me not to buy the car.

In the end, I really liked the car. It felt great, sounded great and looked stellar. But I cancelled my order.

Why? As great as it is... I just didn't think it is worth another $25-30K more than my "old" 1998 NSX-T. Maybe if I won the CA Lottery but so long as I have to make the mortgage and plan for retirement, my money is better spent elsewhere.

And as lame as it sounds, I really like the fact that the NSX remains unique.

As Top Gear explained, "the only reason people will buy a boxter or Caymen are the people who can't afford a 911." Perhaps...

You have a 91 NSX, no PS; therefore, does take more efford to drive it. I believe the two cars are so similar in characteristic (MR). if you blind fold some one who have not driven either car, they might think two are the same cars, or from the same company. I guess Porsche finally decide to built a NSX like car.

Vancehu said:
As Top Gear explained, "the only reason people will buy a boxter or Caymen are the people who can't afford a 911." Perhaps...

You have a 91 NSX, no PS; therefore, does take more efford to drive it. I believe the two cars are so similar in characteristic (MR). if you blind fold some one who have not driven either car, they might think two are the same cars, or from the same company. I guess Porsche finally decide to built a NSX like car.

With all due respect, I strongly disagree on both points.

I could affors a 997 too but I'm not a fan of the bass-ackward rear engined design of "traditional" 911's. Call me lame but it is what it is.

And my short drive in the Cayman S leads me to believe that nobody would confuse the two cars. From the sound, to the way the door closes, to the ride, to the shifter and clutch feel, to the space inside, the cars do not drive alike to the point that a blindfold would confuse a driver. Each has it's own unique characteristics and frankly, the Cayman S is pretty much a better NSX than the NSX is. But IMO, it's not $30K better.

Interesting points made..now im curious to go and test drive one..maybe something in the near future and compare the two..I've always wanted to test drive the cayman!!!!! I want to see the difference from the technology that was 15 years ago to the modern day and see the difference in both cars

my1stnsx said:
Interesting points made..now im curious to go and test drive one..maybe something in the near future and compare the two..I've always wanted to test drive the cayman!!!!! I want to see the difference from the technology that was 15 years ago to the modern day and see the difference in both cars
In my opinion, driving the brand new P car only drives home the point of how damned good the original NSX really was/is.

Da Hapa said:
In my opinion, driving the brand new P car only drives home the point of how damned good the original NSX really was/is.

A true statement, but it still didn't stop me from switching to the better car. The 911 Carrera S.

Bear said:
A true statement, but it still didn't stop me from switching to the better car. The 911 Carrera S.
To each his own.

Personally, I've never been all that ga ga over a design that is admittedly less than perfect but generations and decades of engineering improvements help mask its inequities.

Just another ugly incarnation of a 911, although it seems that some Chrysler Crossfire and Nissan 350Z genes got thrown into the the mix.

It's a good car! Just have both the NSX and the Porsche and be done with it.

I think the 911 is ugly and always have. It's a VW bug design and no matter what you do to make it look better it's still a VW bug. I certainly respect the 911 performance capabilities but can't stand the look.

You either like the looks of the NSX or Cayman or Z06 or you don't, so I'll remove that equation from the analysis (I love the NSX looks). However, lets not try and pretend that the 2005 NSX is equal to a Cayman or Z06. The Cayman has slightly better performance and ergonomics. The Z06 would kill an NSX without leaving 2nd gear. Please note that I used a 2005 NSX for my example. That's because I think someone could make an argument for the value in an older NSX but I don't have any idea why anyone would pay over $70K for an NSX! In fact, the 2005 Boxster S may be a better mid-engine car than the NSX. However, you have to like roadsters and not mind seeing a lot of people driving the same car.

The NSX is a great "street car" for under $40K. Probably for under $70K.

If you take your track events seriously, a 2005 Boxster at $40K (used)is probably a better bet than a 3.2 NSX. Not to mention a standard 2005 C6 Corvette ($35K used). Both interiors are equal to or better than an NSX.

If performance is king, we would all be looking at the C6 Z06 for $70K.

I continue to believe that when talking about value, you have to consider what you can sell the car for after a few years. Its not the upfront cost of the vehicle, its what the car costs you to drive for that time.

Id take a new NSX over a new Cayman S, not because its a better car (it probably is not, but its probably close), Id take it because it is cooler (IMO) and probably cheaper to own too.

The Kid said:
Ive had a deposit on one for about 2 years now, but Im still deciding if I want to pull the trigger. Id be adding a car, not replacing but its alot of money. I really dont NEED this car but I always thought a mini-911 would be cool. I only have 1 spot in my garage and for $70k out the door (sport/chrono package) im not so sure. I have a few payments left on my NSX and afterwards I thibk im better off with something a whole lot cheaper.

If you wait until the nsx successor is out im sure you will see a few Caymans coming in to trade up for the new acura offering and you can then get it for wholesale.:biggrin:

Re: Techart Porsche Cayman Photos

Acura NsX Pilot said:
Here are some photos of the Techart P Caymen

With Black Wheels

:eek: Damn!!! Are you trying to get me to like that thing:confused: :biggrin:

It's working:redface:

Back