• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cell phone internet questions

Yes, I am a noob when it comes to surfing the net on a cell phone. I was wondering which company has the best service regarding internet usage on a cell phone? Also, which phone do you recommend? I have never seen or surfed the net from a cell phone and want to get into it. What do they charge? Is it unlimited usage or do you get charged by the min? I have Verizon now if that means anything. Also, can you access any website via a cell phone? Thanks!

I have a Blackberry Pearl and I can access the web. It's slow and painful to see so I'd much rather be on a PC if given the choice.

There are mobile sites with smaller pages, which comes in handy for stuff like airline check in, weather, SMS, etc...

Sprint has an all you can surf plan which is not bad. But Sprint's phones lag behind others, notably T-Mobile and Cingular.

I have a Palm 700p with Verizon and love it. I had the 700w prior and hated it, poor screen resolution and the operating system was horrible. It crashed all the time and was very buggy, lots of glitches. The internet browser on the Palm OS version is also far faster and works better than the windows mobile version as well.

You can access virtually any website, only a few flash based sites that I've been unable to access.

Really the only downside to the 700p is that its not as sleek or small as some of the newer smartphones, but most of the new thinner smartphones (Motorola Q, T-Mobile Dash, all Blackberry models) don't have a touch screen, which makes it much easier for web surfing and other applications.

Verizon and Sprint both use EV-DO for data access, which averages 400-600 kbps, but access isn't available everywhere, mostly just around major cities. Verizon's data plan is pricey, I believe I'm paying $40/month for unlimited data useage. If you go to a Verizon store you should be able to play with one and see how you like it.

Will

Thanks for the info guys! I suppose it's time to go visit a Verizon store.

Thanks for the info guys! I suppose it's time to go visit a Verizon store.

Whoa there, before you go....

Verizon is extremely proprietary. So much so that they put their own, ugly and bug ridden software on their phones. You cannot blue tooth with other phones or send data between them which is very irritating. Other providers may edit software and "lock" phones, but they don't totally redo the operating systems.

They also make you sign a two year contract which is a huge pain in the butt. A contract is the norm in the wireless industry, but Verizon has relatively high prices as well. They also will not waive your activation charges, something that other providers will do. Seriously, you have to be kidding me, you're going to charge me to sign a contract with you to give you money? Unbelievable.

They do not let you change your rate plans from month to month, something that other providers do. My girlfriend found that she wasn't using as many minutes as she thought she would, changed her plan to include less minutes, and Verizon automatically extended her service plan because of that. I was furious when I heard that.

Lastly, their customer service is rude, ill-informed and just all around inept. I once had a Verizon rep tell me that I was liar when I told him that I could send ringtones to my friends' phones via bluetooth. :rolleyes:

Just look what their own customers had to say:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/Advice/TheCustomerServiceHallOfShame.aspx

Just to be fair, I will say that Verizon has the best all around coverage I've experienced.

For the most part, you're going to find browsing the net over your cellular phone a big pain in the butt. You might want to look into getting a wireless data card for your laptop.

Good luck bro.

I have had multiple cell services within the past couple years. Sprint/Nextel is the worst - I have had both. Cingular and T-mobile are the best if you travel a lot internationally, otherwise are just OK. Verizon is the best domestically. I also have a treo 700P and a data seperate card. If I had to pick between the data card, and data on the treo I think I would take the data card. Treo is great for e-mail, but only marginal for the rest (as with any PDA). Verizon data network is significantly faster than either sprint or Tmobile.

I guess my key takaways here are:
1. I would go with verizon (due to the speed and the coverage)
2. I agree, the treo 700p is the best PDA
3. I agree, you MAY be better off with a data card depending on your needs.

EDIT: (4.) Robr is right as below, Verizon DOES intentionally cripple the phones. It is annoying as hell to have a crippled phone with a $200 a month phone bill. Then again, I don't need to hear the latest tune every time the phone rings.

Last edited:
Amen, stay far away from Verizon if you want to do more than talk on your phone. They cripple the majority of their phones, I mean what power user wants to go spend hundreds on a PDA then find out they can't transfer data to and from it without paying to use Verizon's network to do it, then they can't use MP3s as ringtones because Verizon wants to charge you to buy ringtones from them??!!? Not to mention they are CDMA. 90% of the planet is GSM, so mobile phone companies are focused on making GSM phones which gives you more choices. You can even buy GSM phones from overseas that the US doesn't get and use them on T-Mob or Cingular.

Most techies lean toward T-Mob, I've personally been with Cingular for close to 15 years. I'm not fond of them, but for me they're a better choice than T-Mob simply because of coverage area. I have an HP HW6515 WM2003SE PDA with the unlimited (non PDA) data plan (19.99/mo). You have to con Cingular into giving you the non PDA plan when you have a PDA. Silly stuff.

As far as browsing experience.... IMO EDGE sucks. It's painfully slow even with a phone that supports Class 10. I have also used Verizon's EVDO based PC-Card on a laptop.... in fact I networked several PCs through it and have to say I was pretty impressed with those speeds. I have no idea how their EVDO enabled phones fare though (but it really doesn't matter). My wife just picked up a new RAZR v3xx... it supports HSDPA (ie, substantially faster than EDGE, but she doesn't have a data plan. I didn't even think it was available where I was but her phone indicates it is - I may need a new phone soon).

Regardless of speed, I can't live without synching to my Exchange server every 5 minutes and checking my gmail. Other than that, I don't use it much for internet access. T..o...o......s...l...o...w..................

Whoa there, before you go....

Verizon is extremely proprietary. So much so that they put their own, ugly and bug ridden software on their phones. You cannot blue tooth with other phones or send data between them which is very irritating. Other providers may edit software and "lock" phones, but they don't totally redo the operating systems.

They also make you sign a two year contract which is a huge pain in the butt. A contract is the norm in the wireless industry, but Verizon has relatively high prices as well. They also will not waive your activation charges, something that other providers will do. Seriously, you have to be kidding me, you're going to charge me to sign a contract with you to give you money? Unbelievable.

They do not let you change your rate plans from month to month, something that other providers do. My girlfriend found that she wasn't using as many minutes as she thought she would, changed her plan to include less minutes, and Verizon automatically extended her service plan because of that. I was furious when I heard that.

Lastly, their customer service is rude, ill-informed and just all around inept. I once had a Verizon rep tell me that I was liar when I told him that I could send ringtones to my friends' phones via bluetooth. :rolleyes:

Just look what their own customers had to say:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/Advice/TheCustomerServiceHallOfShame.aspx

Just to be fair, I will say that Verizon has the best all around coverage I've experienced.

For the most part, you're going to find browsing the net over your cellular phone a big pain in the butt. You might want to look into getting a wireless data card for your laptop.

Good luck bro.

One thing I will dispute, I bluetooth data to lots of other phone users all the time regardless of what carrier they are using.

I have had multiple cell services within the past couple years. Sprint/Nextel is the worst - I have had both. Cingular and T-mobile are the best if you travel a lot internationally, otherwise are just OK. Verizon is the best domestically. I also have a treo 700P and a data seperate card. If I had to pick between the data card, and data on the treo I think I would take the data card. Treo is great for e-mail, but only marginal for the rest (as with any PDA). Verizon data network is significantly faster than either sprint or Tmobile.

I guess my key takaways here are:
1. I would go with verizon (due to the speed and the coverage)
2. I agree, the treo 700p is the best PDA
3. I agree, you MAY be better off with a data card depending on your needs.

EDIT: (4.) Robr is right as below, Verizon DOES intentionally cripple the phones. It is annoying as hell to have a crippled phone with a $200 a month phone bill. Then again, I don't need to hear the latest tune every time the phone rings.

Forgive me but what does a data card do?? Can I stick it in my laptop and have wireless net access anywhere? If so, how? Thanks.

As the other poster mentioned, verizon and sprint have the best and fastest web access.

I am using sprint. I have the treo 650 ( a generation behind palm or treo 700) and i love it. Sprint tried to upgrade me to the palm treo 700 but i refused.

The 700 runs on the EV-DO network (basically faster then the their vision regular speed that the treo 650 runs on )

The reason for staying with the treo 650 and not upgrading to the 700, is that i am not constantly surfing the internet via my phone. Plus when i do surf, its sufficient to me and it runs almost at 3-4 times the speed of dialup.

Moreover, if i upgrade to the treo 700...my rate will go from unlimited internet $15 to $30 a month and i will loose my unlimited text and i have to pay for that.

But most of all why i stayed with the 650, is that i got the pdanet program, so i can connect my phone to my computer and surf with unlimited data at even higher speeds. With the 700 you will be charged data charges, and if you do purchase a card for your pc, another $50 a month. Thanks, but i will stick to the treo 650.

:)

Last edited:
I'm posting from my motorola Q on Verizon. Yeah they cripple he phones; I used to not like them but my Q isnt as crippled as my old phones so i'm happy. I can talk fine on the phone and use the internet with ease and it's fast.... that's all I need. So, I recommend a Q! It's kind of hard to type if your fingers aren't as thin as straws... so typing this wasn't easy.

Forgive me but what does a data card do?? Can I stick it in my laptop and have wireless net access anywhere? If so, how? Thanks.

You buy an EVDO based PCCard from Verizon, activate it, install the software, and then stick it in the PCMCIA slot on your laptop. As long as your area has EVDO coverage (I think most Verizon towers do now - there's a coverage map on VZW's website somewhere) you have some pretty quick internet access. Even if it doesn't, you revert to a slower connection. I think the card cost me around $300 and the service was about $100/month. Also you can even purchase an EVDO based WiFi router, stick your card in that instead and set up a WiFi network anyplace with AC power and a Verizon EVDO tower near by.

You could also purchase an EVDO based phone from Verizon with a data plan instead and possibly link it to your computer (via USB or Bluetooth). I have not done this with Verizon, I have no idea what phones support this or if they cripple any of them. It's also generally more complex to do this. I have OK results doing this with my phone on Cingular. If you go with the pure PC card solution rather than a phone, I'm OK with recommending Verizon for that... EXCEPT..... if you use TOO much bandwidth, they will shut you down without notice, you have no recourse and are stuck with a useless card (I've read they blacklist the card's IMEI but can't confirm). Too much data = surfing the web is fine, using P2P clients or streaming a lot of video that works out to in excess of a couple gig a month, you're done. T-mobile was a lot friendlier in this regard, but I'm not sure if that has changed.

I have a Q through Verizon, and have been with Verizon for years now. Maybe I've been lucky, but they have never failed to be helpful & courteous to me during my infrequent tech & customer service calls. I am also able to bluetooth connect with other user's devices to send info.

Surfing on a phone (I've had a treo, Samsung i-730, and the Q) is only a last resort for me. Only to look up addresses, restaurants, stores, etc... Anything more than that and I break out the laptop.

I have a Q through Verizon, and have been with Verizon for years now. Maybe I've been lucky, but they have never failed to be helpful & courteous to me during my infrequent tech & customer service calls. I am also able to bluetooth connect with other user's devices to send info.

Surfing on a phone (I've had a treo, Samsung i-730, and the Q) is only a last resort for me. Only to look up addresses, restaurants, stores, etc... Anything more than that and I break out the laptop.

but can you bluetooth connect to a PC and transfer files? any files you like, including mp3 and pictures?

That would be the HTC Hermes, right? Do you know if it will be upgradable to WM6? I'm holding out for the HTC Kaiser.

What do you guys think of the Iphone? It looks like I may get that one and jump ship to Cingular.

That would be the HTC Hermes, right? Do you know if it will be upgradable to WM6? I'm holding out for the HTC Kaiser.

Yes, the 8525 is Hermes. Of course you can upgrade to WM6. They already have a stock version of WM6 Rom at xda-developers.com. But I would wait until July/August for the official Cingular version of WM6.

What do you guys think of the Iphone? It looks like I may get that one and jump ship to Cingular.

I think you will find that any techie will give the Iphone a huge thumbs down. It has no memory expension slot, no HSDPA, you can't install 3rd party software on it, it's essentially a dumb phone with a nice UI.

but can you bluetooth connect to a PC and transfer files? any files you like, including mp3 and pictures?

I can to my Macs, both my Powerbook & my G5 desktop with a BT USB adapter. Drag & drop. MP3s, Broadcast WAV, Jpeg, Quicktime, Mpeg, Sound Designer II files, whatever.

The only PC I use is my home office desktop, which is also where I have the charging/Activesync cradle. I've never tried to use a BT connection between the two, but if it works on the Macs, I expect it will also work on the PC.

I can to my Macs, both my Powerbook & my G5 desktop with a BT USB adapter. Drag & drop. MP3s, Broadcast WAV, Jpeg, Quicktime, Mpeg, Sound Designer II files, whatever.

The only PC I use is my home office desktop, which is also where I have the charging/Activesync cradle. I've never tried to use a BT connection between the two, but if it works on the Macs, I expect it will also work on the PC.

I'm sure you're right, that's a change in Verizon's usual crippling. Perhaps the class action suit against them for this very thing resulted in the change (though I thought it just resulted in them clearly noting that they crippled their phones rather than changing their policy).

I use Cingular and a 8125 phone. The connection seems very quick for me. There is no place I have been yet where I can not connect. Also I have a portable full size keyboard that hooks up through bluetooth which helps a lot to get things typed faster.

I'm sure you're right, that's a change in Verizon's usual crippling. Perhaps the class action suit against them for this very thing resulted in the change (though I thought it just resulted in them clearly noting that they crippled their phones rather than changing their policy).

I don't know the particulars, but I have had iterations of Windows mobile PDA phones for several years now without noticing any function restrictions, and I am constantly using my phone for a quick & dirty "Drive" to transfer all sorts of files between locations at various facilities around town. Usually sound files but also the occasional QT file or Excel spread sheet too.

Like I said, maybe I've just been lucky.

I also have an 8525, and so far, the best ive speedtested on it was 1.5mbs down, and around 600kbs up.

I also recently had our internet connection go down for 5 days at work. I used my 8525, and my dell laptop using ICS and fed the internet into my cisco router for an office of 50 people. we were up and functional. ++++ for the 8525, also no tethering fee like Verizon charges.. the 8525 is the best phone ive ever used, and ive had smart phones for the last 4 years. if you have the 8125, go upgrade.. it is worth it!

Back