• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Change or Not change timing belt

O2silver - If I were you I wouldn't loose any sleep over not replacing the belt on a 8 year old 20k mile car. Not a wink - and please if anyone disagrees with me = don't tell me - make your point and save the personal - that's not good advice comments. That's an opinion too - ok. I have mine - others have theirs - and 02 is a big boy and he can make his mind up.

There are Euro threads that say the advice there is 60k miles despite the years - who wants to argue. I don't.

Now I will say for 2800 you should get the hoses and the water pump replaced - no way that's just a timing belt - that is why we call em the "stealership"!

I would find a really good independant and if you don't have one close - then go somewhere there is one. We have a great one here in Atlanta - Eiffel. There's a great one in Nashville - Barney - there's a great one in NY - Larry Bastanza. They are out there contact the primers in your area and find out where there is one near you.

You do not take the engine out to do the TB, you can but it's not required. If your dealer makes the kind of mistakes your mentioning - no way they'd touch my car - not even for an oil change - are you kidding a pool of oil in your garrage - the cap missing - I'd be raising so much hell in that shop that they would have to restrain me - that is absolutely not acceptable - it's insane people charge for that kind of service.

That's my 2 cents and I know I'm may not be in the "vocal" majority on the TB replacement interval but there is a silent bunch out there that just don't want to say anything. I'm not trying to take up for my opinion necessarily but it's not the "standard" good advice a prudent person would mention. So there you have it.

Find a good independant as soon as you can - where do you live - we'll help you - sounds like you need some advice on where to go for service!

O2silver - If I were you I wouldn't loose any sleep over not replacing the belt on a 8 year old 20k mile car. Not a wink - and please if anyone disagrees with me = don't tell me - make your point and save the personal - that's not good advice comments. That's an opinion too - ok. I have mine - others have theirs - and 02 is a big boy and he can make his mind up.

There are Euro threads that say the advice there is 60k miles despite the years - who wants to argue. I don't.

Now I will say for 2800 you should get the hoses and the water pump replaced - no way that's just a timing belt - that is why we call em the "stealership"!

I would find a really good independant and if you don't have one close - then go somewhere there is one. We have a great one here in Atlanta - Eiffel. There's a great one in Nashville - Barney - there's a great one in NY - Larry Bastanza. They are out there contact the primers in your area and find out where there is one near you.

You do not take the engine out to do the TB, you can but it's not required. If your dealer makes the kind of mistakes your mentioning - no way they'd touch my car - not even for an oil change - are you kidding a pool of oil in your garrage - the cap missing - I'd be raising so much hell in that shop that they would have to restrain me - that is absolutely not acceptable - it's insane people charge for that kind of service.

That's my 2 cents and I know I'm may not be in the "vocal" majority on the TB replacement interval but there is a silent bunch out there that just don't want to say anything. I'm not trying to take up for my opinion necessarily but it's not the "standard" good advice a prudent person would mention. So there you have it.

Find a good independant as soon as you can - where do you live - we'll help you - sounds like you need some advice on where to go for service!

Reading Prime convinced me to QUICKLY get my TB changed - 15 yr./ 50K :redface:- and, being a bit isolated, I did it locally at a Honda dealer, got it back and it ran rough so I took it back and they got it right the 2nd time. $1907 + tax for TB, WP, and other parts usually assoc with this work, also a valve adjustment. Agree, find a good independent!

Back