• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Chinese astronauts parachute land after mission

China is advancing with their space program and NASA canceled our space program due to lack of funding. With the rate things are going China is going to catch up rather quickly. Washington really needs to get their act together.

BEIJING (AP) — China's first female astronaut and two other crew members emerged smiling from a capsule that returned safely to Earth Friday from a 13-day mission to an orbiting module that is a prototype for a future space station.

The Shenzhou 9 parachuted to a landing on the grasslands of the country's sprawling Inner Mongolia region at about 10 a.m. (0200 GMT). China declared the first manned mission to the Tiangong 1 module a major stride ahead for the country's ambitious space program.

About an hour later, mission commander and veteran astronaut Jing Haipeng, 45, emerged from the capsule, followed by crew mates Liu Wang, 43, and 33-year-old Liu Yang, China's first female astronaut.

The three, all experienced air force pilots, were lifted on to folding chairs and appeared in good health. They smiled, waved, chatted and saluted as state television ran live footage from the landing site.

"Tiangong 1, our home in space, was comfortable and pleasant. We're very proud of our nation," Liu Yang told national broadcaster CCTV.

Space program commander, Gen. Chang Wanchuan, declared the astronauts in good health and declared the mission "completely successful."

He was followed by Premier Wen Jiabao, who said the mission marked "absolutely important progress" for the space program.

The mission had included both remote control and piloted dockings with the module and extensive medical monitoring of the astronauts as part of preparations for manning a permanent space station.

China's next goals include another manned mission to the module originally scheduled for later this year but which may be delayed depending on an evaluation of the Shenzhou 9 mission and the condition of the Tiangong 1. China has been extremely cautious and methodical in its manned missions, with more than three years passing since the previous one, and all four have been relatively problem-free.

Tiangong 1 is due to be retired in a few years and replaced with a permanent space station around 2020 that will weigh about 60 tons, slightly smaller than NASA's Skylab of the 1970s and about one-sixth the size of the 16-nation International Space Station that China was barred from participating in, largely on objections from the United States. Possible future missions could include sending a rover to the moon, possibly followed by a manned lunar mission.

Launched June 16 from the Jiuquan center on the edge of the Gobi desert in northern China, Shenzhou 9 is the latest success for China's manned space program that launched its first astronaut, Yang Liwei, into space in 2003, making China just the third nation after Russia and the U.S. to achieve that feat. China would also be the third country after the United States and Russia to send independently maintained space stations into orbit.

Earlier in the week, a spokeswoman said China spent 20 billion yuan ($3.1 billion) on its space program between 1992 and 2005 — a rare admission for a program with close links to the secretive military. By the time the next Shenzhou mission is completed, Beijing will have spent an additional 19 billion yuan ($3 billion), the spokeswoman said.

China is advancing with their space program and NASA canceled our space program due to lack of funding. With the rate things are going China is going to catch up rather quickly. Washington really needs to get their act together.

Why spend the money we don't have? It's not a "race". I'm not bothered if China catches up to the US in space. The only problem I see is the cut in spending for NASA leaves a lot of very, very smart people idle. Smart anti-social people left idle tend to do bad stuff. :tongue:

It's easy to catch up when China just hacks into our government and steal the blueprints and at the same time our fortune 500 gives them all of our jobs.

If some country gave us all their jobs and technology, I would imagine we would do pretty good too...

Last edited:
Their capsule landed on land - something we've never accomplished. Are they ahead of us already? Don't they finance our nation's debt? How did they get ahead of us financially? At 4 times our population, they certainly have the human capital. China is a great force with world domination as their goal. What can stop them? Too many questions.

Their capsule landed on land - something we've never accomplished. Are they ahead of us already?

I seem to recall we were using capsules with parachutes in the 60s. When they launch, fly and land a shuttle on a runway I might concede they are "catching up"......

Enough with the space program already. Lets focus on saving our earth that we've spent years destroying.

Their capsule landed on land - something we've never accomplished. Are they ahead of us already? Don't they finance our nation's debt? How did they get ahead of us financially? At 4 times our population, they certainly have the human capital. China is a great force with world domination as their goal. What can stop them? Too many questions.

I seem to recall we were using capsules with parachutes in the 60s. When they launch, fly and land a shuttle on a runway I might concede they are "catching up"......

We land on water because it's cheaper, easier, safer and our launch sites make it necessary as a contingency maneuver.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splashdown_(spacecraft_landing)

Wikipedia said:
As the name suggests, the capsule parachutes into an ocean or other large body of water. The properties of water cushion the spacecraft enough that there is no need for a braking rocket to slow the final descent as was the case with Russian and Chinese manned space capsules, which returned to Earth over land. The American practice came in part because American launch sites are on the coastline and launch primarily over water. Russian and Chinese launch sites are far inland and most early launch aborts were likely to descend on land.

Enough with the space program or forget the space program!? Such apathy. The space program affected our lives in ways we take for-granted today. There are about 1,400 documented NASA inventions that have benefited U.S. industry, improved the quality of life and created jobs. I looked up some of them and here are examples:

NASA developed a chemical process that was responsible for the development of kidney dialysis machines.

The need to find imperfections in aerospace structures and components led to the development of a medical CAT scanner.

Because prolonged time in space causes the body to deteriorate NASA developed a physical therapy and athletic development machine now used by football teams, sports clinics and medical rehabilitation centers.

A stress free "blow molding" process adapted from NASA space suit design is also used in athletic shoe manufacturing.

Freeze-dried food.

Insulation barriers made of aluminum foil laid over a core of propylene or mylar, which protected astronauts and their spacecraft's delicate instruments from radiation, is used to protect cars and trucks and dampen engine and exhaust noise.

Water purification technology used on the Apollo spacecraft is now employed in several spinoff applications to kill bacteria, viruses and algae in community water supply systems and cooling towers. Filters mounted on faucets can reduce lead in water supplies.

Process for bonding dry lubricant to space metals led to the development of surface enhancement coatings.

Digital signal-processing techniques, originally developed to enhance pictures of the Moon, are an indispensable part of (CAT) scan & (MRI) technologies.

Cordless power tools & appliances.

Cool suits, which kept Apollo astronauts comfortable during moon walks, are today worn by race car drivers, not to mention new composites and adhesives used in the very car we all love.

We are Americans. Our country was built by exploration and it is who we are and what makes us the envy of the rest of the world. The mere fact that we were able to show ourselves and the rest of the world how fragile our planet is with one picture of it seen from the moon is the inspiration to take steps to save it. We are so short sighted. I bet if we could quantify at the billions invested in the space program and compared it to the billions in economic and social benefit (ie. new industries, jobs, medical break through) we would be surprised at how small that investment was. Do I think the U.S. government should foot the total bill on space exploration? No. But we should provide some incentive for the commercialization of it and of the technological advancements it produces.

I'm waiting for the outer skin of the capsule to start breaking off like the plating on their fake Rolex's.

We spent Billions making Space Shuttles that we can reuse. Just like their stuff from Harbor Freight tools, it only has to work once and then you throw it away. :tongue:

BTW: My stainless steel fake Submariner keeps better time than my real Datejust and at $120 when it breaks I can get another. My friend told me it cost him $580 to have his real Sub serviced.

Attachments

• sub.jpg
    sub.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
We spent Billions making Space Shuttles that we can reuse. Just like their stuff from Harbor Freight tools, it only has to work once and then you throw it away. :tongue:

BTW: My stainless steel fake Submariner keeps better time than my real Datejust and at $120 when it breaks I can get another. My friend told me it cost him $580 to have his real Sub serviced.

LOL. Nice. We need a "Faking the Funk" watch thread.

Back