• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch limitations

Seems most of the FI guys, even low-boost CTSC, end up upgrading their clutch.

Which makes me wonder... what is the maximum HP the OEM clutch can handle to achieve comparable lifetime to stock?

About 320 whp seems about right.

But then again clutch life is 90% driver related. You could get 100k out of a stock clutch or 10k.

Seems most of the FI guys, even low-boost CTSC, end up upgrading their clutch.
This is simply not true as there's absolute no reason to upgrade the clutch with a low-boost CTSC.
What the clutch can withstand is not primarly measured in hp but in torque.

This is simply not true as there's absolute no reason to upgrade the clutch with a low-boost CTSC.
What the clutch can withstand is not primarly measured in hp but in torque.

I totally agree.

The ones that do upgrade their clutch were over either over-sold a product that they probably didn't need or didn't have the appropriate knowledge base to make a sound decision.

In my experience with clutch with 4 different cars is that nothing beats the feel and engagement of the OEM.

Only reason to get something else other than OEM is when the OEM clutch can't handle the power.

Based on that and how my SOS SC'd NSX was fine with the OEM 97+ clutch, I can't fathom the need to upgrade from the OEM clutch in any CTSC applications.

I upgraded to the Clutchmasters FX200 (what used to be their "Stage 2") when I went to a 4.23/JDM short-geared transmission.

I'm nowhere near the SC'd guys, but I wanted a clutch that I wouldn't have to worry about no matter how much NA power I made.

The clutch itself is actually "softer" than OEM - RYU tried it out and couldn't believe it - and was approximately the same price as OEM. A no-brainer for me. I have used Clutchmasters exclusively for about 15 years now and have never had a problem with any of their products.

I upgraded to the Clutchmasters FX200 (what used to be their "Stage 2") when I went to a 4.23/JDM short-geared transmission.

I'm nowhere near the SC'd guys, but I wanted a clutch that I wouldn't have to worry about no matter how much NA power I made.

The clutch itself is actually "softer" than OEM - RYU tried it out and couldn't believe it - and was approximately the same price as OEM. A no-brainer for me. I have used Clutchmasters exclusively for about 15 years now and have never had a problem with any of their products.

I had a similar clutch in my MR2 and I was quite happy with Clutchmasters as well. I forget which one exactly it was though. I'm interested in this post because I might be clutch shopping next year. I have about 110k miles on my original clutch and it has seen a lot of track days. Does this FX200 come with a flywheel? Anything special needed to run it on a 94 5-speed?

Yes, it comes with a flywheel, though its not the lightest one out there.

No, it does not need any special tools for installation.

Back