• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Complete BBK DIY install

Had a fun weekend project installing and documenting a install for my Stop-Techs. I got the complete front and rear kit with parking brake and spent about 8-12 hours installing it over a period of a week. I've seen a few DIYs on this topic already but decided to take my own personal take at it. Hope you enjoy. Lots of pictures and bad grammar but I'm sure you'll enjoy them

Front Install
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

Rear Install
R01.jpg

R02.jpg

R03.jpg

R04.jpg

R05.jpg

R06.jpg

R07.jpg

R08.jpg

R09.jpg

R10.jpg

R11.jpg

R12.jpg

R13.jpg

R14.jpg

R15.jpg

R16.jpg

R17.jpg

R18.jpg

R19.jpg

R20.jpg

R21.jpg

One of the best DIYs i've read on the net in a while. Good technical for folks who want to know what's involved and good detail for many of the beginners out there. Well done and thanks.

My small contribution is to just mention that one could use a manual impact screwdriver to remove the rotor retaining screws as well. I bought this really cheap one from Harbor Freight.

Impact-Screwdriver.jpg

Last edited:
Those look so big and juicy compared to oem.....love it and thanks for the thread

Very well written DIY. I always mean to take super detailed pictures and write up a detailed DIY for all the stuff I put on my cars...but I usually run out of patience before I even start, so, kudos to ya!

very nice write up! very detailed instructions! I would sand and painted the hubs flat black thou to make it look nicer.

After I get my NSX this is one of the to do mods! What do you think of these Stoptech Trophy calipers? Are they worth the extra $?

Thanks for the nice write-up. Pics of the cars with it installed? :wink:

great write up def for the books.

also the damn impact driver I cant find anywhere. looked and looked.

Nice work. Great DIY.

Keep us posted as to performance:).

Pad choice??

Regards,
LarryB

very nice write up! very detailed instructions! I would sand and painted the hubs flat black thou to make it look nicer.

After I get my NSX this is one of the to do mods! What do you think of these Stoptech Trophy calipers? Are they worth the extra $?
I did the group buy on SOS and figured I'd use the savings towards the Trophy calipers. Personally I just like the finish on them and they are fairly light in my opinion but I doubt they make any noticeable difference when compared to another stoptech kit

Thanks for the nice write-up. Pics of the cars with it installed? :wink:

Real soon! I need to wash my car first

Nice work. Great DIY.

Keep us posted as to performance:).

Pad choice??

Regards,
LarryB

Sticking with the supplied pads for the moment which are street pads.

Lastly...thank you all for the positive replies! Makes me want to publish more. I have a lot of pics when I did my TB and WP a few months back. Guess I'll take those out of the grave yard and make another pictorial DIY.

Quick question for the Stoptech BBK experts out there. I am putting my front BBK in place at the moment, and kept the dust shield on during installation (step 12). Now once the calipers are in place I have resistance during rotation of the wheel and feel that the dust shield is rubbing and constricting the movement. Is it absolutely necessary to remove the dust shield during installation? Also by removing it will I risk heat build up to the suspension and brake components with it removed (Is this dangerous to my NSX)? Thanks you to anyone that can help, I'm at a standstill in this installation at the moment.

What do the installation instructions tell you to do?

Well the instructions from stoptech are fairly confusing. In step 4 of the instruction .pdf it says to cut the dust shield to clear the hub for removal, then it shows the dust shield in place in step 6 of the manual. I've read 2 DIY instructions from members here on prime including this great thread (Bright Light Tech you're a hero in my book for this DIY) and in each write up it appears the dust cover has been completely removed. I've searched prime for dust cover function and several members recommended not to remove them:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/3502-Splash-Guard-Removal

I ended up placing a thin washer on the 5 bolts separating the dust cover and the rotor and the movement is much better and smoother, however I'm nervous about not having a flush fit of the rotor to the hub assembly unit. If anybody has experience with this install and can shed some light on this step in the installation, I would be very grateful.

FWIW - the shop that installed my Stoptech BBK removed the dust shields (fr and rr). The shop owner and employees are all racers and have extensive experience with Stoptech so I am sure they completed my installation correctly.

I looked at the steps you referred to and I think the picture they took for step six (showing the dust shield back on the axle) was taken before the actual (and permanent) removal and not reflecting the re-installation of the dust shield. Plus there is no mention in step six of re-installing them. I believe the picture is misleading.

I have several thousand miles on my BBK with no issues whatsoever.

Comments in the link you provided appear to be mixed.

Are you intending to race or track your car? If so then I'd talk to someone who has actually raced the NSX to get their opinion about the relevance of the dust shields and heat buildup with respect to the ball joints, etc, etc. If you are not racing or tracking your car then I would follow the Stoptech instructions and remove them.

Last edited:
FWIW - the shop that installed my Stoptech BBK removed the dust shields (fr and rr). The shop owner and employees are all racers have extensive experience with Stoptech so I am sure they completed my installation correctly.

I looked at the steps you referred to and I think the picture they took for step six (showing the dust shield back on the axle) was taken before the actual (and permanent) removal and not reflecting the re-installation of the dust shield. Plus there is no mention in step six of re-installing them. I believe the picture is misleading.

I have several thousand miles on my BBK with no issues whatsoever.

Comments in the link you provided appear to be mixed.

Are you intending to race or track your car? If so then I'd talk to someone who has actually raced the NSX to get their opinion about the relevance of the dust shields and heat buildup with respect to the ball joints, etc, etc. If you are not racing or tracking your car then I would follow the Stoptech instructions and remove them.

Thanks so much for the advice. I ended up removing the dust shields as multiple forums talk about removing them to fit the Stoptech BBK on various platforms. I just finished the front BBK project with my Dad this weekend, it was frustrating and fun at the same time. I appreciate all the forum posters who have posted over the years on NSX Prime. Every time I tackle a project for the NSX I come here first for guidance and advice. Here are some pics of my front Stoptech BBK. I'm going to do the rear BBK in a few months when I have more time.

BBK1 by metsn99, on Flickr

BBK2 by metsn99, on Flickr

Back