• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Confession...

I rarely get my RPMs over 5,000.

Rarely.

And I tried today. But it just isn't conducive to city driving (even when nobody is around.) Besides, it is unsafe.

Why do I bring this up, you ask? I was reading some commentary for a 328 Ferrari over on Bring A Trailer. I could not understand a $10K, engine-out service for a timing belt and other minor work. I wondered why a belt would have to be replaced four times by 30K (or 20 years). In my smug little mind, I kept thinking that our car is superior and that we have solid, easy maintenance. I read on that Ferrari's "sing" at 7,000 RPMS and nobody wants THAT interference engine to snap a belt.

Then, I thought, well, the NSX spins over around there and I bet the entire blog/webpage population on Prime has spun their motor up over that on a daily basis. I bet I even do it, I thought.

So, I took the beast out for a quick ride. I tried to keep it in first gear. The screaming motor, the loud sonorous Tubi. Nope. 5,000 Was all I got over on Elston SE bound. I turned around, pointed to a underpass and took off again. Vroom. Downshift, in hopes of spinning her up a little. Nope.

Truth is, I don't think I want to put the stress on the motor. Sure I have a fresh belt and service. Yep, the car is running fine. Yes, I love to drive the car hard sometimes.

But 7,000+ RPMs?

Man, I just don't feel the need.

Last edited:
NSX are like wives, it's ideal to live around 3,800-4,800 in daily and city life, but you need to ride her out to 5.8+ from time to time or she'll be very unhappy.

When I first bought my NSX from a friend, after driving it a few months, I asked him "how did you resist taking it to redline at least once every time you drove it?" His reply: "Who says I didn't?"

Use it, man, it's what it was designed for.

When I first bought my NSX from a friend, after driving it a few months, I asked him "how did you resist taking it to redline at least once every time you drove it?" His reply: "Who says I didn't?"

Use it, man, it's what it was designed for.

I would like to 2nd that.
As an original owner of an '02, ready to turn 90k miles, I can count the number of times on one hand where I did not bounce it off the rev limiter during a drive. As my personal NSX mechanic tells me:
"enjoy it, drive the crap out of it; that's what it was built to do"

You have to drive it more than a mile.. I go on mountain roads as much as possible (and just for fun), and then the highway itself allows for redlining after exiting the toll booth. So yes i take it to the red line almost every time i drive it, if just to avoid building carbon deposits.

I also redline it a couple of times almost every time I drive it. I believe that the motor is built for that, and an NSX mechanic told me he agreed with that, and said it could handle more. I do fully warm it up, driving it moderately for at least 10 minutes, before taking it to high rpm. It's important to remember that, don't drive a cold engine hard.

There are drugs for LRS.........:tongue:

To get anywhere from my house, I need to take the freeway. I redline my car as soon as engine warming allows. This car is well-designed and will not die just because you rev it in its intended range. I enjoy the heck out of my car (within reason, I don't hoon it).

Honda motors= happy redline motors... Bury the pedal Speedmaster and live up to your name... :confused:

It's a robust high-revving high performance naturally aspirated sports car. To not drive it as intended is a crime. I have dreams about the tach needle screaming to eight thousand. That it does so, so effortlessly, is one of the main reasons for buying an NSX, IMO.

If if you want quiet comfortable cruising, get a Lexus or Cadillac. Not trying to be mean. You sure you bought the right car?

Last edited:
I took a car guy friend out for a ride in my NSX yesterday,and was reminded that hearing the intake roar right behind your head as the engine runs up towards 8000 rpm is one of the great pleasures of this car, and one of the best experiences I've had in any car. It would be sad to deny yourself this enjoyable sound.
Like I said before, warm it up properly first, and I would add keep up on your maintenance, especially the timing belt. Doing these things should give you a comfort level before running it hard.

Last edited:
Gotta exercise those VTEC solenoids!

Last edited:
I wished it revved higher than 8000rpm. This engine feels smoother at 5000 rpm than it does at 2000 rpm. You can literally leave the car at 5000 rpm and it will not hurt the engine. When you are on the mountain roads, the engine is usually stuck in 2nd gear and will be between 4000-8000 rpm constantly. Definitely exercise that v-tec system.

Buy an AP1 S2000 and you'll never feel RPM-restrained again when you drive the NA. My NSX engine rebuild reveled a 235,000 mile 3.0L with cross-hatch hone marks still visible around the complete bore. Like the 2.0L, the NSX's mill is designed to rev. Just do it...you'll both be happy,

Back