• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Continental Extreme Contact Sport

I am. I wish I could find my post/PM to Honcho because I gave him a very detailed summary of my impressions. I went from OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE010s to the Contis. I am in the suburbs of Detroit and our roads are awful (the Motor City, my *ss). Pathetic.

The upshot is that the ride improved markedly from the stiff as hockey puck RE010s but I lost quite a bit in the handling/confidence department, which I think is the essence of the car. Whereas I felt confident pushing the car fairly hard on the street (within the bounds of reason), I do not trust it nearly as much as I did on the RE010s. And you know what happens in this car when you overcook in the twisties -- risky.

I haven't been driving my NSX all that much in the last couple of years -- been spending more time on my racing bicycle -- but I am thinking about kissing the Contis goodbye and going back to something more akin to the RE010s -- there are a few choices in 205/45/16 and 245/40/17.

The Contis are not bad and I appreciate the better ride but I miss the crisper handling and confidence inspiring aspects of the old RE010s. Hope this helps.

And if you are committed to the Contis PM me -- depending on where you are if you are interested in the Contis off my car perhaps we can work something out. I would estimate they have no more than a couple thousand miles on them.

Best,
Jeff

Thanks for the response I was a little worried about the performance at the high end but I have already ordered them from discount tire. I had a 91 NSX back in 2003 and I always ran the Yokohama's but I don't think they're available anymore correct? I think I'm going to have to deal with what I bought for now. What would you sell your rear tires for?

Correct, RE010s long gone. Although some would say they are very old tech, along with the Yokohamas that were original equipment, they were designed for the car and did result in rather amazing handling.

I don't want to rain on your parade -- the Contis are fine but stepping down from the RE010s necessitated more caution when pushing the car. I made the adjustment and in any case unwise to drive at anything more than 8/10ths on public roads. It was just nice to have the added capability, even if I didn't use it much. The flip side is that even thought I suspect your roads where you are in FL are pretty smooth, the ride compliance of the Contis over the RE010s is nice.

I'm going to hold onto the Contis for now -- would sell the 4 together and put proceeds towards something else but not interested in selling only rears.

Best,
Jeff

I just bought a set of those new Contis. I hope they are as good as the Michelin SPs I have on a 6-series. I also have a pair of sticker-ed Yokos for my 91 and my front Yokos are only half worn.

With your 16/17 set of rims could you run 205/45/16 and 225/45/17 tires?

I am. I wish I could find my post/PM to Honcho because I gave him a very detailed summary of my impressions. I went from OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE010s to the Contis. I am in the suburbs of Detroit and our roads are awful (the Motor City, my *ss). Pathetic.

The upshot is that the ride improved markedly from the stiff as hockey puck RE010s but I lost quite a bit in the handling/confidence department, which I think is the essence of the car. Whereas I felt confident pushing the car fairly hard on the street (within the bounds of reason), I do not trust it nearly as much as I did on the RE010s. And you know what happens in this car when you overcook in the twisties -- risky.

I haven't been driving my NSX all that much in the last couple of years -- been spending more time on my racing bicycle -- but I am thinking about kissing the Contis goodbye and going back to something more akin to the RE010s -- there are a few choices in 205/45/16 and 245/40/17.

The Contis are not bad and I appreciate the better ride but I miss the crisper handling and confidence inspiring aspects of the old RE010s. Hope this helps.

And if you are committed to the Contis PM me -- depending on where you are if you are interested in the Contis off my car perhaps we can work something out. I would estimate they have no more than a couple thousand miles on them.

Best,
Jeff
You ran the ExtremeContact SPORT?

I'm surprised to hear that feedback because they are probably the best road tire out there in an NSX size in terms of wet and dry grip, refinement, etc...

Last edited:
......and they are tough as hell. I recently curbed the CTR hard and took a chunk out of the side wall of the 30 series rubber bands, exposing the internal carcass.....they held pressure until I could get replacements...

Here's my in-depth review of the tire on an E90 M3 & 2016 Mustang GT:

https://motoiq.com/tested-continental-tire-extremecontact-sport/

As far as an all-around street tire for a performance car (in terms of dry grip, wet grip, steering response, handling, low road noise), the only tire that's better, is the
far more expensive Michelin Pilot Sport PS4S -which is not available in NSX sizes.

You'd be hard pressed to find any tire with better wet traction and hydroplaning resistance than the Coni SPORT (short of the PS4S), and if you want more steering response or dry grip, you'll be in a far more aggressive streetable track tire than a performance street tire that you can track -with the compromises if ride quality, noise, and wet grip.

IMO, the Conti SPORT is probably the best tire in its size for the NSX, even on track, unless you're an experienced driver, your NSX is your track car, and you'd be putting on track focused tires on anyway.

yep I have run upwards of 80mph on wet roads and no hydroplaning....70 mph on my DZ-II is tops ..

Sounds like a really good tire for at least 3 seasons. I ask about my 4th season, in Southern California, where we will get into the upper 20s briefly overnight for about 3-5 weeks in the dead of winter? I doubt I’d ever drive at 5:30 in the morning on those days, and the temp is above 40 by the time I’d be driving on the roads. But are there any ill effects to the tires of being parked in such cold weather?
I’m ready for new tires to replace my Bridgestones, and Kumho PA31s seem to a viable, all season tire for my rather routine driving.

The compound of the ECS isn't super soft where it will crack at those temps. It'll be fine.

Thanks. I figured it would be ok at least for sitting in the driveway.

I’ve been experimenting with my current Potenzas on a nice curve outside my neighborhood. In the 60-70 mornings, I can get the car very sideways (including oversteer snap back) by goosing the throttle, but in our 95-110 afternoons, I can barely break traction.

Thanks. I figured it would be ok at least for sitting in the driveway.

I’ve been experimenting with my current Potenzas on a nice curve outside my neighborhood. In the 60-70 mornings, I can get the car very sideways (including oversteer snap back) by goosing the throttle, but in our 95-110 afternoons, I can barely break traction.
Which model Potenza? What tire pressure? How many miles are on them? What's the manufacture date? Tires should be replaced at 8 years at the very latest.

Which model Potenza? What tire pressure? How many miles are on them? What's the manufacture date? Tires should be replaced at 8 years at the very latest.

Let’s just say they are old. Their tread is within limits, and pressure is about 35 psi. 99% of my driving is 5/10s or less, and most on the freeway. This one curve is a spot where I can have just a bit of fun with the rear tires in second gear.

You ran the ExtremeContact SPORT?

I'm surprised to hear that feedback because they are probably the best road tire out there in an NSX size in terms of wet and dry grip, refinement, etc...

Billy sorry for delayed response. Yes, I am running the ExtremeContact Sports.

By way of preface/disclaimer, my driving skills are nowhere near those of many on this board. I have limited novice track experience and the few times that the car has been on a track it was wearing the OEM Bridgestone RE010s. I haven't had the Contis on a track so my point of reference in comparing the OEM Bridgestones to the Contis is on public roads only. I am smart (OK, old) enough to respect the laws of physics, understand my limitations and not to endanger anyone by driving like an *sshat.

My impressions were formed pretty much within a couple of weeks of installing the Contis. Three major points:

1. It was immediately apparent that the Contis had much better road manners than the Bridgestones -- way more civilized in all respects (most noticeably ride and noise level).
2. Steering response was good but it felt different than the Bridgestones for lack of a better descriptor it felt softer and I felt as if the steering had lost a bit of the immediate response to inputs that the Bridgestones provided -- not a lot, but enough to be noticeable to me.
3. Finally, perhaps a better driver would have a different opinion or an instrumented test would indicate that the Conti's ultimate cornering grip is the same or better than the Bridgestones, but my seat of the pants feeling was that the Contis had more sidewall flex than the Bridgestones and their limits were going to come earlier than the Bridgestones. Perhaps this is my shortcoming and not the tires, and a better driver would feel confident pushing the Contis further than I do, with the possible result that the ultimate limits would be same or better than the Bridgestones. Short of a back to back drive in the same car with a set of the old Bridgestones and then the Contis by an expert (read: Billy) I can only go with my impressions from the seat of my pants.

If any of my posts conveyed that the Bridgestones are not very good tires, that was not my intention. The certainly have some advantages over the old stiff as hockey pucks RE010s. I'd be really interested to have Billy drive an NSX on the Contis and then the same car on say, Bridgestone RE71Rs or Yokohama Advan A052s and hear what his impressions are as between the Contis and either of these other two tires.

Best,
Jeff

Let’s just say they are old. Their tread is within limits, and pressure is about 35 psi. 99% of my driving is 5/10s or less, and most on the freeway. This one curve is a spot where I can have just a bit of fun with the rear tires in second gear.
How old? Based off your first sentence, then just change them out!

Billy sorry for delayed response. Yes, I am running the ExtremeContact Sports.

By way of preface/disclaimer, my driving skills are nowhere near those of many on this board. I have limited novice track experience and the few times that the car has been on a track it was wearing the OEM Bridgestone RE010s. I haven't had the Contis on a track so my point of reference in comparing the OEM Bridgestones to the Contis is on public roads only. I am smart (OK, old) enough to respect the laws of physics, understand my limitations and not to endanger anyone by driving like an *sshat.

My impressions were formed pretty much within a couple of weeks of installing the Contis. Three major points:

1. It was immediately apparent that the Contis had much better road manners than the Bridgestones -- way more civilized in all respects (most noticeably ride and noise level).
2. Steering response was good but it felt different than the Bridgestones for lack of a better descriptor it felt softer and I felt as if the steering had lost a bit of the immediate response to inputs that the Bridgestones provided -- not a lot, but enough to be noticeable to me.
3. Finally, perhaps a better driver would have a different opinion or an instrumented test would indicate that the Conti's ultimate cornering grip is the same or better than the Bridgestones, but my seat of the pants feeling was that the Contis had more sidewall flex than the Bridgestones and their limits were going to come earlier than the Bridgestones. Perhaps this is my shortcoming and not the tires, and a better driver would feel confident pushing the Contis further than I do, with the possible result that the ultimate limits would be same or better than the Bridgestones. Short of a back to back drive in the same car with a set of the old Bridgestones and then the Contis by an expert (read: Billy) I can only go with my impressions from the seat of my pants.

If any of my posts conveyed that the Bridgestones are not very good tires, that was not my intention. The certainly have some advantages over the old stiff as hockey pucks RE010s. I'd be really interested to have Billy drive an NSX on the Contis and then the same car on say, Bridgestone RE71Rs or Yokohama Advan A052s and hear what his impressions are as between the Contis and either of these other two tires.

Best,
Jeff
Thanks for your feedback and input. I've seen a lot of people have a bad initial read of any new tire in terms of grip, confidence, and steering feel due to the tire still having the mold release on the tire before it has worn off and the tire's been 'scrubbed-in'.

I have not back to backed RE010s with the ECS, and your feedback could be due to either the mold release or the sidewalls may in fact be softer than the RE010. I'd be interested in your feedback after 750-1,000 miles.

The A052 and RE71R are actually more of a Michelin Cup 2 competitor, which give up hydroplaning resistance for dry grip. But the Cup 2 has better road manners, rides better and is quieter than those 2. The ECS is more like a PS4S, which are some of the best all-around performance tires out there in terms of havingthe best wet grip, ride quality, lowest tire noise, and best streetability while performing and holding up well on track.

It's important to not lump all of these tires together in the same category when they are noticeably different.

Billy, thanks for your response. The tires have been on the car now for a two driving seasons and though I have not driven the car all that much in the last couple of years I'm sure that I'm north of 750 miles -- probably around 1,000. My initial impressions stand.

It is too bad that there are few choices in the OEM 16/17 sizes. Even doing a 205/45/16 on the front does not yield all that many viable alternatives. I checked if the Yokos were available in the appropriate sizes -- a no go there. Not sure about the Michelin Cup 2 -- guessing will not be available in correct size(s) either.

Best,
Jeff

So, for a 17*8/18/*10 setup; I'm thinking ZIII in the front and ECS for the rear. I say this because I ran this setup with ZIIf/ECSr without issue due to lack of a 215/40/17 in the ECS.

For me, it's 2 sets of rears for every set of fronts. The ZII was no longer in production and the ZIII was being sold at Tire Rack yet. Anyway, I actually liked the ECS. I felt I could drive at 9/10ths in hard canyon drives. the 1/10 was progressive oversteer and less than razor sharp response when driving through switchbacks on the Snake... I can't wait to dump my R888Rs. The "fun" window is very small due to less than optimal alignment to generate heat in the tires. It's a summer only tire for me. Driving over wet tar strips scared the &^#$ out of the 1st time! Sorry for the jabber, I rarely have time to post on Prime anymore...and I'mnot a fan of the FB version...

I haven't tried either tire compound but have tried their predecessors. Mix and matching just sounds like a TERRIBLE idea tbh

So, for a 17*8/18/*10 setup; I'm thinking ZIII in the front and ECS for the rear. I say this because I ran this setup with ZIIf/ECSr without issue due to lack of a 215/40/17 in the ECS.

For me, it's 2 sets of rears for every set of fronts. The ZII was no longer in production and the ZIII was being sold at Tire Rack yet. Anyway, I actually liked the ECS. I felt I could drive at 9/10ths in hard canyon drives. the 1/10 was progressive oversteer and less than razor sharp response when driving through switchbacks on the Snake... I can't wait to dump my R888Rs. The "fun" window is very small due to less than optimal alignment to generate heat in the tires. It's a summer only tire for me. Driving over wet tar strips scared the &^#$ out of the 1st time! Sorry for the jabber, I rarely have time to post on Prime anymore...and I'mnot a fan of the FB version...

where is Ken to tell you the same....but not with just one sentence......

I haven't tried either tire compound but have tried their predecessors. Mix and matching just sounds like a TERRIBLE idea tbh[/QUOTE

Mixing different types of tires is often a poor idea... But, in the case of the ZII up front and ECS in the rear, I got the transitional response I was looking and less push at low speeds/tight corners.

If the ECS came in a 215/40/17, I'd buy a matched set...but they don't.

Is anyone running the ECS in a 215/45/17 on 17*8 wheels?

Or the new Falken Azenis RT660?

Last edited:
Back