• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Continental Extreme Contact Sport

I think a 215/45 front will be too tall.I also think the contis will out grip your front dunlaps and you will push...

Last edited:
24.5" wheel diameter is about as tall as you can go if you're an aggresive driver. Some go a little taller but the corkscrew at Laguna Secs for example... The front tire already bottoms out on the frame at this wheel height.

Use this to calc tire size https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

I still wouldn't mix tires ������ I'm just not good of a driver to anticipate all the different parameters that occur on any given drive

24.5" wheel diameter is about as tall as you can go if you're an aggresive driver. Some go a little taller but the corkscrew at Laguna Secs for example... The front tire already bottoms out on the frame at this wheel height.

Use this to calc tire size https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

I still wouldn't mix tires ������ I'm just not good of a driver to anticipate all the different parameters that occur on any given drive

Good gouge/info; thanks!

Hard to know how to respond, have just put the EC+, new this year from Tire Rack. Feel is totally different from Bridgestones, (originally on the car 10 years ago) and the Dr21's we put on 3 and 5 years ago. While being a 60+ year driver with many miles under the belt, and only a tiny bit of track time, and not in my car, I am not experienced enough to evaluate track performance, and not yet confident to take the hard turns with only about a hundred miles on the tires, as I am told by some that have the new 2021+ series which these are, that there is break-in time of a couple of hundred miles.

Currently playing with some tight turns and varying speeds as situations present themselves. Smooth quiet road tire, pleased there, however that isn't why we bought the car.

D

Billy sorry for delayed response. Yes, I am running the ExtremeContact Sports.

By way of preface/disclaimer, my driving skills are nowhere near those of many on this board. I have limited novice track experience and the few times that the car has been on a track it was wearing the OEM Bridgestone RE010s. I haven't had the Contis on a track so my point of reference in comparing the OEM Bridgestones to the Contis is on public roads only. I am smart (OK, old) enough to respect the laws of physics, understand my limitations and not to endanger anyone by driving like an *sshat.

My impressions were formed pretty much within a couple of weeks of installing the Contis. Three major points:

1. It was immediately apparent that the Contis had much better road manners than the Bridgestones -- way more civilized in all respects (most noticeably ride and noise level).
2. Steering response was good but it felt different than the Bridgestones for lack of a better descriptor it felt softer and I felt as if the steering had lost a bit of the immediate response to inputs that the Bridgestones provided -- not a lot, but enough to be noticeable to me.
3. Finally, perhaps a better driver would have a different opinion or an instrumented test would indicate that the Conti's ultimate cornering grip is the same or better than the Bridgestones, but my seat of the pants feeling was that the Contis had more sidewall flex than the Bridgestones and their limits were going to come earlier than the Bridgestones. Perhaps this is my shortcoming and not the tires, and a better driver would feel confident pushing the Contis further than I do, with the possible result that the ultimate limits would be same or better than the Bridgestones. Short of a back to back drive in the same car with a set of the old Bridgestones and then the Contis by an expert (read: Billy) I can only go with my impressions from the seat of my pants.

If any of my posts conveyed that the Bridgestones are not very good tires, that was not my intention. The certainly have some advantages over the old stiff as hockey pucks RE010s. I'd be really interested to have Billy drive an NSX on the Contis and then the same car on say, Bridgestone RE71Rs or Yokohama Advan A052s and hear what his impressions are as between the Contis and either of these other two tires.

Best,
Jeff

Hard to know how to respond, have just put the EC+, new this year from Tire Rack. Feel is totally different from Bridgestones, (originally on the car 10 years ago) and the Dr21's we put on 3 and 5 years ago. While being a 60+ year driver with many miles under the belt, and only a tiny bit of track time, and not in my car, I am not experienced enough to evaluate track performance, and not yet confident to take the hard turns with only about a hundred miles on the tires, as I am told by some that have the new 2021+ series which these are, that there is break-in time of a couple of hundred miles.

Currently playing with some tight turns and varying speeds as situations present themselves. Smooth quiet road tire, pleased there, however that isn't why we bought the car.

D

Donk, keep us posted. Thanks.

Just posted to the discontinued tire frustration site, which we started a while back.

205/45ZR-16 front and 245/40ZR-17. Takes a little time and mileage to get used to the difference between them and my original Bridgestones and Direzzas. The 90 degree days have given me a little more confidence. This is first set of all season tires on the Dragon Lady.

Blessings,
Don

ps both are the new 06 + variety which am assuming are the next gen for 2021 as the standard 06 was marked discontinued

anybody running the ECS on 15/16s? if so, what tire pressure should we run for best performance on a stock 91 car? I used the factory 33/40 but its floaty going through the same turn when I had kwv3 and Nt01. lol maybe I'm asking to much of these tires

Learning as we go. Finding out that the all season variety develop flat spots rather quickly, like...............................(don't you love the word, I am [so] tired of these 2 words. Took the Lady out today and it took about 15 minutes to rid the front wheels of the vibration. Could have been the roadway, Following about 20 minutes at 70-75 on an 84 F day, all was smooth. Anyone else with any wisdom?

Cornering improving with age. WLYK following next check up at the dealer on wear.

D

Last edited:
anybody running the ECS on 15/16s? if so, what tire pressure should we run for best performance on a stock 91 car? I used the factory 33/40 but its floaty going through the same turn when I had kwv3 and Nt01. lol maybe I'm asking to much of these tires
Try 33/35 then 33/33 and report back. But if you're comparing a stock (suspension) '91 on 15/16 ExtremeContact SPORT tires with a different NSX equipped with KW V3s and NT01 R-compound tires (what size?) a lot of the floaty feeling could be the stock suspension.

Last edited:
Agree with Billy. While "floaty" might be partially explained by too-soft sidewalls, it's really more of a suspension thing. The ECS has fairly stiff sidewalls. If you're on original or old shocks, that's probably more of the issue. I'd also check your suspension bushings. Basically all 1991 NSXs will be riding on worn, hardened or torn rubber bushings at this point. This will definitely cause a floaty feeling while driving.

I just switched from Yokahama AD08r to the ECS and it feels much more like a street tire than the 200 treadwear tires that were on previously.

I think the thing to keep in mind is the ECS is a 340 treadwear and most 200 treadwear tires are likely less than 200 (200 is the minimum for a lot of SCCA classes and tire companies make up their own ratings so they might slap 200 on the side of a 180/160/140 treadwear tire to make the regs). So were a good deal off of a stiff sidewall, track/auto-x tires we might compare it to. It's a capable tire for sure, but after driving it for the last few weeks I've decided that for my driving style I'll be running a dedicated 200 treadwear summer tire and have the ECS on in the spring and fall.

ECS Pluses/Minuses compared to 200TW tires:

+Comfortable for bumps/every day driving
+Quiet road noise
+Great wet weather sport tire
+Drive deep into the cooler weathers without worry.

-Distinct loss of grip/confidence

I just switched from Yokahama AD08r to the ECS and it feels much more like a street tire than the 200 treadwear tires that were on previously.

I think the thing to keep in mind is the ECS is a 340 treadwear and most 200 treadwear tires are likely less than 200 (200 is the minimum for a lot of SCCA classes and tire companies make up their own ratings so they might slap 200 on the side of a 180/160/140 treadwear tire to make the regs). So were a good deal off of a stiff sidewall, track/auto-x tires we might compare it to. It's a capable tire for sure, but after driving it for the last few weeks I've decided that for my driving style I'll be running a dedicated 200 treadwear summer tire and have the ECS on in the spring and fall.

+Quiet road noise

Running as I remember after install in April at 35 and 40 on 15 & 16's. The higher outside temps 90-95 that raise the pressure (thank you Captain Obvious) tend to give me a little float, however as the tires become seasoned, now at about 600 miles, at the optimum temp for yours truly in the high 70's and low 80's the grip is better, has seemed to stabilize, and am continuing to monitor and test at higher speeds in the turns. Have 2 testing turn sequences, a tight cloverleaf suggested at 30, taking now in the high 40's, and a U under an narrow overpass, that we like to take from a standing start and a punch. OK so far, no drift.

Interesting aside, just finished coating the cabin seals and T locking pins with Shiahtzu, and it has absolutely amazed me how quiet the cabin has become. Almost as quiet as my TLX ha ha. No rattle from the top at all.

Last edited:
have you had it on track?

Running as I remember after install in April at 35 and 40 on 15 & 16's. The higher outside temps 90-95 that raise the pressure (thank you Captain Obvious) tend to give me a little float, however as the tires become seasoned, now at about 600 miles, at the optimum temp for yours truly in the high 70's and low 80's the grip is better, has seemed to stabilize, and am continuing to monitor and test at higher speeds in the turns. Have 2 testing turn sequences, a tight cloverleaf suggested at 30, taking now in the high 40's, and a U under an narrow overpass, that we like to take from a standing start and a punch. OK so far, no drift.

Interesting aside, just finished coating the cabin seals and T locking pins with Shiahtzu, and it has absolutely amazed me how quiet the cabin has become. Almost as quiet as my TLX ha ha. No rattle from the top at all.

I'll agree with this for sure. When my tires were put on and new we were in the middle of the heat wave, and as the temps have dropped down into the 70's or low 80s the tire does perform better. I think that you'll still notice a difference with a 200 treadwear tire, but the tire has gotten a bit better since they were first put on.

What is Shiahtzu? When I try to look it up I just get stuff about the dogs. :biggrin:

I'll agree with this for sure. When my tires were put on and new we were in the middle of the heat wave, and as the temps have dropped down into the 70's or low 80s the tire does perform better. I think that you'll still notice a difference with a 200 treadwear tire, but the tire has gotten a bit better since they were first put on.

What is Shiahtzu? When I try to look it up I just get stuff about the dogs. :biggrin:

Shin-Etsu --

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2019/09/26/hondas-secret-weapon-squeaks-door-leaks-shin-etsu

+Quiet road noise

After couple years on the ECS I agree with Superhatch's assessment. I feel nowhere as confident pushing the car in the corners as I did on the old stiff as hockey pucks Bridgestone RE010s. Though the ride is now much more pleasant on our crap roads here in the suburbs of Detroit, some of the raison d'etre of this car has been lost IMHO.

Best,
Jeff

I use it on all rubber seals on both my NSX and trusty old /04 TL w/190,000 miles that runs like a Swiss watch. Got to love the Honda/Acura of the 90s up through /08 in the case of the Gen III TL. The latest offerings, other than the NSX, don't light my fire.

I might have crossed a line -- used the Shin-Etsu on my new(er) daily driver /15 Audi A6 3.0T (nice car but nowhere near as robust/reliable as the old TL) instead of Gummi-pflege. I hope I don't start WW III.

https://www.nextzettusa.com/gummi-pflege-rubber-care-stick/

Best,
Jeff

Hilarious - but it's OK because Germany and Japan were allies in WWII so no worries about starting WWIII.

Last edited:

+Quiet road noise

What tire pressures are you running?

Treadwear ratings are USELESS. You can read more about why here:

https://motoiq.com/how-to-properly-select-and-size-tires-for-performance/4/

After couple years on the ECS I agree with Superhatch's assessment. I feel nowhere as confident pushing the car in the corners as I did on the old stiff as hockey pucks Bridgestone RE010s. Though the ride is now much more pleasant on our crap roads here in the suburbs of Detroit, some of the raison d'etre of this car has been lost IMHO.

Best,
Jeff

have you had it on track?
not yet. Once it cools down.

Last edited:
Billy I'm running what you suggested to me quite some time ago -- think it was 33 or so all around. Maybe if I get the car on track in a controlled environment where can do no damage my confidence level will go up with these tires but seat of pants they don't inspire the same confidence that the old RE010s did for me. Maybe I'm just getting old and losing my nerve (but that's OK would rather have that scenario than doing something stupid on a public road).

The definitive answer would of course be having you drive same car back to back with the Contis and something more track oriented.

Best,
Jeff

My apologies guys on the misspelling of Shin-Etsu grease. Been using it for years, but never looked at the package. That's the trouble when old people try to go from sheer memory and don't check the garage. Plenty on Ebay and the balance of sites, many at under $20. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for those who replied with the right info.
Blessings,
Don

Billy I'm running what you suggested to me quite some time ago -- think it was 33 or so all around. Maybe if I get the car on track in a controlled environment where can do no damage my confidence level will go up with these tires but seat of pants they don't inspire the same confidence that the old RE010s did for me. Maybe I'm just getting old and losing my nerve (but that's OK would rather have that scenario than doing something stupid on a public road).

The definitive answer would of course be having you drive same car back to back with the Contis and something more track oriented.

Best,
Jeff

Obviously I defer to Billy, but I would go up to 36 all around on the ECS. I ran that on my Yoko s.Drives and was very happy. I'm also running 36 on my new ECS, but I have to have my car back together before I can try it. :)

My mistake -- went back and looked at the post from Billy when I asked about pressure -- 36/36. I'll double check what tires are at next time I drive the car and if low will pump up to 36/36 and report back if my impressions are any different than per my prior posts. Thanks guys.

Best,
Jeff

Back