• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Coolant tank cap keeps popping off...

So today I left my car running while I ran into the store with my girlfriend, come back out and the car is smoking. I immediately turn the car off and open the hatch to find the coolant tank cap popped off and probably a gallon of coolant all over the parking lot and all over my engine bay. I get a ride back to my house, gather my tools, coolant and proceed to bleed the system and refill the coolant level. Drive back to my house, only a mile away and to my surprise the cap is off by the time I get home and it started spewing more coolant out, not nearly as much this time thank god. What could be doing this?

Is the temp guage showing the engine temp above normal (about the halfway hash mark) when running?

Something is putting a lot of pressure into your cooling system and the only things I can think of that could do that are a stuck closed thermostat (usually it sticks open) which would also cause an overheating engine or a blown head gasket.

I'm really not sure about this one :confused:.

Temp is below the middle point, radiator fan isn't even kicking on.

Are you sure its antifreeze in the coolant system? If its all water or mostly water, it will boil even at normal temps and this might be the problem - flush with clean coolant... :)

Where is the Coolant coming from again? The cap or the Hose attached to the tank neck. Why would it be all over your engine is my question. if the hose is attached like it should be the coolant would go behind the tank on the ground. I would check the hoses to the tank and check the tank for a crack...+1 on something putting alot of pressure on the coolant system if everything checks out.

Where is the Coolant coming from again? The cap or the Hose attached to the tank neck. Why would it be all over your engine is my question. if the hose is attached like it should be the coolant would go behind the tank on the ground. I would check the hoses to the tank and check the tank for a crack...+1 on something putting alot of pressure on the coolant system if everything checks out.

Well I figured it was coming out of the tank because the hose piece and cap were blown off together. Find it kinda strange that the hose and it's fitting are just pushed down in the tank and the cap is screwed on. Could the coolant be coming out of the hose after it gets blown out of the tank?

Well I figured it was coming out of the tank because the hose piece and cap were blown off together. Find it kinda strange that the hose and it's fitting are just pushed down in the tank and the cap is screwed on. Could the coolant be coming out of the hose after it gets blown out of the tank?

I know exactly what you are talking about as a friend noticed my coolant tank brass neck seemed to be sticking up a little further than his, and I have some coolant seeping from neck that area as well. You need a new tank ASAP. That brass insert is pressure fit, or molded to the plastic tank and shouldn't pop out. Mine is starting to pop out, but I have a new tank waiting to be installed. Fortunately for me, this is my 2nd NSX and my first one suffered from the cracked tank along the middle seem that most everyone suffers from, so I had a spare tank awaiting the potential leak. I never realized or heard of that brass neck insert popping out like that before though so I was surprised mine was coming out and leaking at that spot.

I know exactly what you are talking about as a friend noticed my coolant tank brass neck seemed to be sticking up a little further than his, and I have some coolant seeping from neck that area as well. You need a new tank ASAP. That brass insert is pressure fit, or molded to the plastic tank and shouldn't pop out. Mine is starting to pop out, but I have a new tank waiting to be installed. Fortunately for me, this is my 2nd NSX and my first one suffered from the cracked tank along the middle seem that most everyone suffers from, so I had a spare tank awaiting the potential leak. I never realized or heard of that brass neck insert popping out like that before though so I was surprised mine was coming out and leaking at that spot.

Good to know, looks like a new tank will be needed. Thanks

Back