• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

correct oil change capacity

On the 3.0L NA1, there is a sticker on the air filter chamber and it reads:
Oil Capacity: 4.3L (4.5 US quarts)

how is it that every post I've read here people say its 5.3 quarts?

I did an oil change (with filter) and put exactly 4.0L (4 bottles) of oil and the marks were between the 2 holes on the dipstick. I haven't run the engine yet, but it seems to be enough oil? Any thoughts. Thanks!

I did an oil change (with filter) and put exactly 4.0L (4 bottles) of oil and the marks were between the 2 holes on the dipstick. I haven't run the engine yet, but it seems to be enough oil? Any thoughts. Thanks!

It's 5.3 with the filter. Only putting in four liters is not enough as the level is only half way between the two marks. I usually pour the .3 into the filter and then dump the remaining 5Q into the engine.

Last edited:
With filter, I've been doing about 5.3-5.5 quarts. Can't get that last .1-.2 quarts too accurately. I used dump in the half quart, and the stuff clinging to the walls is good for about .1 quarts back into the bottle.

.3 into the filter first? Not a bad idea. I'll try that next. Usually I fill the filter, then dump the rest of that bottle into the motor and count it as 1 quart total.

Last edited:
forget the book, use your dip stick

what i do is usually put in 4.5. run the car to get the oil circulated and let the car stop and check oil.

about .5 quart is still in the oil passages so keep that in mind.

however, no one knows for sure.

i find 4.5-5 quarts is perfect.

rather be a little over then a little under :)

happy motoring:smile:

It's possible the sticker came from another car. Mine doesn't say that.

I did an oil change (with filter) and put exactly 4.0L (4 bottles) of oil and the marks were between the 2 holes on the dipstick. I haven't run the engine yet, but it seems to be enough oil? Any thoughts.
After an oil change, the oil level should be at the top dot, after running the engine. 5.3 quarts does that (assuming you change the filter).

After an oil change, the oil level should be at the top dot, after running the engine. 5.3 quarts does that (assuming you change the filter).

Just to be clear- always change your filter when changing oil. It is almost important as the oil.

yup, you guys are all right, I ran the engine after the oil change and after 5.0 L. It is between the dots, I put in 300mL more to make it 5.3L and it is at the top dot (running a -400 filter)
(the 400 filter is about twice the size of the other one)
I'm not sure why they changed this filter configuration, it is no where near the lower frame stiffner, there is adequate clearance.

Since we are on this topic, is the oil capacity still 5.3Q with the new short filter?

Last edited:
For 8 years I've used Mobil 1 and a long filter in my '96. 5.3 qts (5 qts and 10 oz) puts the level exactly at the top mark every time. Just like Floyd, I put the 10 oz into the filter so oil pressure comes up immediately when I start the car.

By the way, I use Purolator filters - they have the long filter available even in places like Pep Boys and Strauss.

Frank
'96 NSX-T, red/tan

Back