• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Corvette Z06 or NSX?

Jeff0181 said:
Hi, i am about to buy a new car and am trying to decide between a used corvette z06 or a nsx?
Do you have a year range of NSX that you would consider purchasing? It's relevant for two reasons:
1) OBDI cars provide more options within the FI area.
2) If you were considering a 95 or newer, by changing and buying OBDI you can take the money you would have spent on the car and put it into the engine.

Another question for you: Why do you say you want to "twin turbo" it should you go with the NSX?

You need to spend a lot of time in the FI forum. The next reccomendation would be to talk to some of the FI'd NSX owners out there and get their opinions. Preferably talking to owners who have, or have had, both an SC system and a turbo. sjs and TurboNSX come to mind, but there are more.

If you want serious power, be prepared to spend more than the 12K you mentioned. Not that 12K won't get you the turbo and related acces's like aftercooler, etc., because it will. If you want to do it right, you want to address the internals.

Re: Re: Corvette Z06 or NSX?

KGP said:
. If you want to do it right, you want to address the internals.

Which is why I said you are looking at closer to $20K.

Still, you could get a 93 NSX with say 50K miles for $35K. Then invest the $20K and for 55K have a car that will beat almost anything you run into.

Of course, you could buy a 2002 Z06 for the same $35K, invest $20K and beat the NSX mentioned above.

It is all up to you. If you do go with the Z06, save some $$ to replace the cavalier quality interior :)

Jeff what performance are you looking for? Street? Strip? or Track? I need to know before I can make my personal reccomendation. This is my take without knowing your desires....

Street----- NSX hands down

Strip-------Z06 hands down

Track-------I have seen both cars in NA form run identical times with equal drivers. Once dialed in I would lean towards the NSX. BUT parts are way cheaper for the Z06. So if no budget, get the NSX. If limited funds get the Z06.

Tom

To be fair, track performance is going to depend a lot on the track. Equal drivers, NSX vs. Z06, track with long straight aways, no way the NSX is matching the Z06.

After all, Car and Driver already did this test remember? Pro driver, club driver, amateur driver, one track, 911 vs. NSX vs. Z06. The 911 and NSX were close to each other in performance for all drivers and neither were close to the Z06.

Also, why NSX hands down on the street? I assume we're talking a FI NSX here because stock it's no contest at all, but even FI, I would think that at best, you're just able to *maybe* hang with a Z06 stop light to stop light or in the 1/8.

Bottom line is really that a stock Z06 is a lot cheaper and a lot quicker than a stock NSX and a LOT cheaper and still, possibly, a bit quicker than a FI NSX as well. Throw a modded Z06 into the equation and it's over.

If capital cost and performance are your primary motivators, its a very easy decision. The NSX really only wins out in terms of exclusivity, build quality, reliability, looks (subjective, but for me, no contest - personally I think the Z06 is bleh), and depreciation (this one is big).

To me, the Z06 was the final nail in the coffin of Honda's value proposition on the NSX (the Viper being the first few dozen nails) and the clearest indicator that they REALLY need to replace the car and it needs to be SOON and it needs to be decisive.

I would definitely go for NSX, Z06 may be faster but I assume whatever you are getting it’s going to be for daily use instead of track. So………………… does it really matter? In addition, NSX holds its value better than Z06. Go to autotrader.com and compare 91 NSX and later model of Z06.
If you still haven’t had the chance to test drive NSX and you live around LA or OC (I live in LA, but I work around OC), send me an email. We can arrange something for this sunday.
:D :D :D

Last edited:
spookyp said:
track with long straight aways, no way the NSX is matching the Z06.

HMMMMM Road America should qualify for a track with long straights right? I have timed several NA NSX's in the 2:30's, and Mike Bergman in the old AOB car cracked a 2:29. I see tons and tons of Z06 instructor cars in the low 2:40's and high 2:30's

I have proof. :p

polyester leisure suit or goretex windbreaker....

To echo what others here have posted, you really should drive both and just buy the one you feel better in and like the most. The Z06 is a great value, and nobody who is honest will deny that, but the NSX to me is on another level of quality and exclusivity. I live in the Midwest where muscle cars are 'the' car for most people, and I rather enjoy how people are so excited to see the NSX at stoplights or anywhere else. The Corvette's on the road (of which there are many) rarely get a second glance, but my little Acura can cause people to swerve because it takes them by surprise. That is kind of fun. Anyway...just buy what you like and ignore everything else. :)

I ditto what other are saying. I just bought mine 3 weeks ago and am surprized at strangers comming up to me asking me what kind of car it is etc.. On the other spectrum I am surprized at how many college age guys know what it is saying, "yea NSX, nice car". Rubber necking every where I drive, and it is 2000 blue stock. I had no idea! Almost uncomfortabe the attention, but getting used to it.
A z06 won't get that attention.

i had a 50-ish year old female in a Tahoe with her family sitting next to me at a red light. She rolls down her window to complement me on my car and ask what it was. Is that a reason to buy the car? not really, but I still enjoy complements, and I doubt too many of the vette guys have people roll down the window to say that. Not that the z06 isn't a nice car--it is, but it is very common, or at least the body style is.

I haven't as much fun in my life until getting this plate. Z06 owners do the dumbest things when they see it. One jerk cut me off going into an on ramp on I-95 and spun off into the grass. Another moron came up next to me on the highway and starting revving his engine like an idiot then took off only to be pulled over by FHP about 1/2 mile ahead. Both had girls in the passenger seat. I can only imagine how their right ears felt. :D

plate.jpg

Funny without a doubt, but its unfortunate that its not accurate unless the car is heavily modded and thats kind of what counts in the end.

Its like the Corvettes that put all sorts of combinations of "Snake Eater" on their plate yet wouldnt be eating much of anything except exhaust off a Viper...

Of course if the car IS heavily modded, then thats a different story altogether :D

spookyp said:
but its unfortunate that its not accurate unless the car is heavily modded and thats kind of what counts in the end.

I would disagree based upon personal experiences of passing Z06's fairly easily with a stock NSX at Watkins Glen. All that horsepower does is give an edge pulling away in the straights but cornering and braking will prevail in the long run if you are doing something other than straight line driving.

Exactly! I've had similar experiences at Sebring. Drag racing is for girls. Real men road race. Hell, a blind cripple can drive a car fast in a straight line!

Alright!! I have never chimed in on this topic however, since everyone is beating a very dead and decayed horse, I think I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents.

Here it is.......

The Z06, for the most part, is a faster track car, period. I have heard all the stories about the NSX handling better, and the Z06 only has an advantage in a straight line. But, really driver for driver the Z06 is faster. Now, before I get torn apart, I am an enormous NSX fan. Anyone who has read my posts or met me knows I am literally crazy about our cars. With that said, I'm equally as big a car enthusiast, and I have to give a car credit where credit is due. The NSX was designed in the late 80's, is it that bad to admit that the Z06 may edge it out in performance? Now, a C5 vs. NSX that's a better performance match, but a Z06. My friends, the first step is admitting!!

Let’s not get confused, or mislead, this DOES NOT mean the Z06 is a better car. That's a whole other thread, I am merely talking about performance numbers.

Why do others disagree with me? Well, I believe (again, IMO) that the NSX is far easier to drive than a Z06. In other words on the track an average driver may be able to extract 75% of the NSXs performance, however the same driver would only be able to extract 50-60% from the Z06. This is why people claim it's so easy to pass Z06s & C5s on the track. Heck, I just came back from my first track event. I am a perfect example, pure novice, no experience besides autocrossing. I was able to pass (easily I have to add) both Z06s and all the C5 at WGI (driven by other novices). Now, am I an above average driver? I don't think so, especially after 1 track event. Come on, it's the car people!; at one point going around the boot I had a Z06 get slightly sideways right in front of me while my NSX was firmly planted. Let’s turn that around, if I were driving my NSX and a well seasoned track rat familiar with the Z06 was driving against me, it WOULD be a massacre!! Are cars are more civilized, it's a mid-engine car, but I will go even further than that. HONDA WANTED IT TO BE THAT WAY. If they wanted it to be a little more lose, they would have tuned it like the first generation S2000. The bottom line is if you put an Experienced NSX driver capable of driving his/her car at or near 100% and he duked it out with an experienced Z06 driver capable of driving the vette at the same level the NSX would lose.

I’ll say it again, that doesn’t make the Z06 a better car. I would love to own a Z06 at some point, however last year I bought my NSX instead of the vette. For what I’m looking for the NSX is a far better fit, and that’s it! If you look at the vette forums there are some mature people who understand this and comment about it, then there are others who fuel the NSX vs. Z06 fire. The same thing goes here, I will probably get blasted. Or someone will try to logically explain to me how the NSX with about a 100hp deficit (not to mention torque) less affective brakes, less contact patch, and a generally more “user friendly” tuning, etc. is faster than a Z06 on the track, forget it, move on, next topic!!

I’m very interested to see how other REAL car enthusiasts respond to what I said.

i dunno, but seems like there is a woman metaphor here somewhere..

she may be fast, and she may perform, but is she the one you really wanna marry???

z06s are fast and they are the best performance for the price, but for me they are a ride, not a commitment.

Hello to all.After riding alongside of a black NSX on the highway,I came home and looked for a forum.I know nothing about your cars,thats why I am here.I do know they are nice looking as it caught my eye.I have been stopping by about a month and reading posts.Since I own an 02 Z06,and reading this thread I decided to join.No I am not a troll,just a car enthusiest.Here in the Dallas/FT. Worth area there is an abundance nice sportscars and nice fast sportscars.Its all about what each person desires.If someone is in the Denton area I would love to see an NSX up close and personal.

I went for a drive, as both passenger and driver, in my friends ZO6.
It is not exactly stock, he has changed wheels to a much larger size, moded the shifter for a shorter throw and installed a low boost supercharger. He runs about 5lbs of boost on a stock engine. As well as a Borla exhaust.
He said it dynoed on a Dynojet dyno at 575HP at the rear wheels.
It is very very fast, he drives it very well, with him driving it feels very predictable, and stable. He complaints that the stock brakes are not quite up to the job at high speeds, and plans to put some Brembo's on.
I found it rides better over smooth roads than my NSX, I liked the steering better during large movements of the steering wheel. I found the brakes to be vague, and while the car does not seem to stop as well as the NSX, I also feel the NSX stock brakes are vague and do not offer much better feel. The car is very noisey inside when going fast. The gearbox does not shift as fast or feel as nice as the NSX, 3rd and 5th are slotted very close to each other. It was easy to drive and felt great, a very nice car. It feels like you sit higher in it than the NSX, but not by too much. Paint color is a very nice deep red. Looks better in person than in the pics. Visability out of the front is not as good as the NSX. I prefer the styling of the NSX, and the color of my car over the Z06.
It is much faster in acceleration than my mostly stock NSX.
He wanted a fast car and believe me he has one.

Z06C.jpg
Z06B.jpg

Z06A.jpg

Wow, that's very clean, and it makes awesome streetable power, too. If it makes 575 hp at the wheels, that's enough to get that car into the 10's in the quarter.

Back