• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Cost Getting 02+ conversion VS. buying a 02+

Does anyone know the cost of all the parts needed to do a 02 conversion?
I was thinking of getting a 95-T for 35-36k and do a conversion or just buy a 02+. How much money can I save?

If the conversion going to cost 10k + 35k = 45k
Or

Getting a 02+ for 57k

Lastly what about resale value?

I found this for 45k, seems like a good deal
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=1611

or
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=1961

Both those deals are too good to be true. Black red is a scam, yellow is a salvaged car. You could probably get an 02+ NSX for $55k if you aren't picky about color.

An 02 conversion will cost about $10k.

Both those deals are too good to be true. Black red is a scam, yellow is a salvaged car. You could probably get an 02+ NSX for $55k if you aren't picky about color.

An 02 conversion will cost about $10k.

10k is too much. I rather just keep the 95-T as it is then.
does the 10k include paint job?

unless your a mechanic, own a body shop, have access to parts at cost and plan on pulling your hair out of your head and no longer like relaxing on days off....Buy on 02+:biggrin:

unless your a mechanic, own a body shop, have access to parts at cost and plan on pulling your hair out of your head and no longer like relaxing on days off....Buy on 02+:biggrin:

Agreed... been there, definitely done that!!!!!

still working on the relaxing part... and my conversions have been done like 3yrs now. I guess the full color change a year later also caused the lack of free time :cool:

Now buying a car that needs some front end work, as long as there is now real frame damage is always a good find. I'd go with all aftermarket goodies and just rock the OEM lights:wink:

Buy a 02, and also better resale value.
you did a 02 conversion your self hehe

Then don't you think Chris advise would be based on what he went through? no?

As for me we do not have 02+ NSX here. If there is an option I'll take the 02+ for sure. Save you lots of work. 10k+ is a very conservative figure. To do it properly that'll cost you more then that.

i have two nsx's , a stock 05 and an na2 nsx-r conversion that will be on the cover of december honda tuning. (that i personally converted)

as stated above, if you like the 02 look the most economical way to do it is to simply buy an 02+

here is the approx cost of the parts (honda parts -- not knockoff)
rear valence 800
side skirts 1500
door pieces 500
front upper and lower bumper 800
inside the bumper parts and inside the headlight / ballast oem parts 1500
headlights bare 1600
hood oem- 1400

so about 8000 in parts + ? for installation + ?? for paint

and remember the 2001 and newer have a better abs system that costs an additonal 1500 + labor to install

i used all honda parts + and OEM nsx r hood and other oem nsr parts so i think i have well over 20K in front end alone!

again, more cost effective to just buy an 02. also the aftermarket parts don't compare to the quality of oem. (not saying there bad) just saying you can't compare the final fit and finish of aftermarket to what you would get if you buy a clean 02+ IMO

front upper and lower bumper 800

for installation + ??

where did u find the bumper for only 800?
what i found out is the following
04711-SL0-A91ZZ FACE, FR. BUMPER $809.77
71111-SL0-000ZZ SKIRT, FR. BUMPER $654.95
71110-SL0-010 SPOILER, FR. AIR $101.18

around 1600 with shipping cost.

Does anyone know the cost of all the parts needed to do a 02 conversion?
I was thinking of getting a 95-T for 35-36k and do a conversion or just buy a 02+. How much money can I save?
$10~$15k using oem parts and doing it right.

Doing the conversion on a 95 or 96 is in my opinion makes no sense at all. Simply just go and buy an 02. $10~$15k difference top of the cost of conversion is nothing. You get 6spd+3.2L motor+better resale+newer car+many others.

If you want a Targa you can get 97+ for the cost of 95~96 + conversion. I take 6spd+3.2 over the conversion.

I did my exterior conversion for roughly $15k (not including shaved fender and color matching lights) with all oem parts with exception of 2 parts.

I personally I will never do a 02 conversion on a Targa no matter how cheap I can get the car for or even given to me (NA1 or NA2). I will buy a 97~01 coupe and do the conversion over buying an 02+. I can say this simply because I can. I can easily buy an 02+ for a daily beater. My daily current beater cost almost as much as an 02+ and I own it outright with pink slip.

what i found out is the following
04711-SL0-A91ZZ FACE, FR. BUMPER $809.77
71111-SL0-000ZZ SKIRT, FR. BUMPER $654.95
71110-SL0-010 SPOILER, FR. AIR $101.18

around 1600 with shipping cost.

$1668 on my receipt for above parts:frown: Did I get ripped off?

Last edited:
The 02 conversion makes more sense for the later NA1 like a 1991 as you can find those for lower prices and they will probably need a new paint job anyway. Most 95's for sale that I have seen were still in relatively good condition, so repainting seems like a waste in itself. In retrospect, I should have got an 02 since I would not have to redo the interior and exterior.

yup, there is a much bigger difference between a na1 targa vs a 02 t-top. as others have mentioned, you have the 3.2 liter engine, the 6 speed, the difference in the seats, interior, gauge cluster, etc. Even after you have the 02 conversion done, you still would have the slowest year for the nsx. Now it would make more sense to do it on a NA 1 coupe since they don't have 02+ in coupe form so at least you have an advantage over a stock 02+ in some ways such as being lighter weight and being structurally stiffer, but i would never do it on a 95-96 since you will be spending lots of money and gain no real advantage vs the real thing.

Last edited:
NSXSupra makes a good point as well as S14_tat...only do a +02 conversion on a 1991 thru 1994 coupe in order to make the job cost effective.

If you do it on the 95+ model years you'll definately be in the range of an +02 car with the nice 3.2L and 6-speed tranny.

I loved my +02 conversion but the lust for a targa and Imola Orange were always on the back of my mind so I opted for it.

Jetpilot

Get the 02+.
JetPilot can tell you alll about it.
For me it's not just the exterior of the 02+. The interior is more updated as well. Perforated leater seats and door panels did it for me.

Back