• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Crankshaft Pulley Replacement

Yesterday, I began to remove my crankshaft pulley to accomplish a few goals:
1. Install a new crankpulley (current is 23 years old, and 200,000 km)
Pulley.jpg

2. Install TiDave's heavy duty timing belt shield
Shield.jpg

3. Investigate, what I believe is, a damaged alternator bearing (HERE is an audio clip).

A few action shots:
Pam Helpin.jpg

Tool.jpg

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to remove that darn crank bolt due to snapping all of my 1/2" drive extensions. Here's the damage:
Snapped.jpg

I've got a 3/4" 4 foot breaker bar & torque wrench, so I'm going to look for a 3/4" extension and a 3/4" 19 mm socket to get that bolt off and put it back on.

Also, with the belts off, the alternator still rolls smoothly but not a whole lot. That tells me that possibly one of the bearings is shot. ALSO, the adjuster bolt (adjusting the tension of the alternator) was fully depressed, telling me that the alternator was on its maximum tension setting. Hmmmm, I think the over tension may be what caused the bearing to wear extensively.

I'm going to get the alternator apart in a few weeks, I'll upload more photos of it then.

And so it remains.....attached.
Aftermath.jpg

I didn't take anymore photos, but feel free to riddle me with questions.

Lucas

P.S. What is the accepted method for setting the accessory drive belts to the appropriate tension?

First of all, 3/4 drive is the way to go. In addition, for future reference, it would probably have worked fine with a 1/2 drive impact extension. They are way stronger. Fact is, I always use a 3/4 drive extension, with 1/2 inch reducer to a 19mm 1/2" impact socket. In addition, my good friend Ralph Cerbone was kind enough to provide me with a 3/4" drive impact gun. This would actually spin the entire car if needed!!!!! :)

Regards,
LarryB

First of all, 3/4 drive is the way to go. In addition, for future reference, it would probably have worked fine with a 1/2 drive impact extension. They are way stronger. Fact is, I always use a 3/4 drive extension, with 1/2 inch reducer to a 19mm 1/2" impact socket. In addition, my good friend Ralph Cerbone was kind enough to provide me with a 3/4" drive impact gun. This would actually spin the entire car if needed!!!!! :)

Regards,
LarryB

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up ordering a 1/2" impact extension this morning actually (I couldn't find many/any 18" 3/4 extensions). So, we'll see how that goes. I was worried about using an impact gun on the bolt due to the close proximity with the crank. Is there any harm using an impact wrench during REMOVAL only? I will be using a torque wrench to install.

Also, I was using a standard 19 mm socket last night, I will swap to a impact socket when I get the extension as per your recommendation.

Lucas

No problem with impact gun to get it off. DO NOT use it to put it on. I do not use an impact gun to install any fastener. Over the years I have seen so much damage from techs using an impact gun to install fasteners. It is the same as using an impact gun to put your wheels on without a torque stick. Gee I cannot get my wheel off, wonder why ?? Bad news...

Also a 1/2" drive impact may not do it. Make sure you have plenty of air pressure, like 140psi.

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
To me, removal of the crankshaft pulley bolt was the most daunting task in doing my timing belt. I bought the Honda tool to hold the crank pulley, a 3/4" breaker and extensions, a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer, a 1/2" drive 19mm impact socket, and a 3/4" drive torque wrench.

The timing belt wiki article (to which LarryB was a major contributor) notes that you might hear a loud "crack" when the bolt breaks loose. Despite that warning, my heart nearly stopped because it sounded like the bolt snapped off. But, when the bolt turned out smoothly by hand my blood started flowing again. Take a look at that step in the wiki article for suggestions on how to use jack stands to support the extensions so you keep the socket square on the bolt head.

Last edited:
Update:

Used 350 lb-ft 1/2" drive impact gun. No dice. Applied more penetrant.

Still waiting on 1/2" impact extension (to use with 3/4" breaker-bar).

Lucas

Did you oil the gun prior? This can help, but again, I too have had little luck with a 1/2 drive impact gun on the crank bolt.

Did you oil the gun prior? This can help, but again, I too have had little luck with a 1/2 drive impact gun on the crank bolt.

Assuming you meant oiling the bolt, yes I did. I've been applying penetrant every night for the last few days:tongue:. I also used the gun just after applying more penetrant in hopes to aid the progression of the oil with the vibration of the gun.

Lucas

Not at all, I meant oiling the impact gun. Adding a little oil into the air chamber of the gun will increase the reverse torque to maximum.

Assuming you meant oiling the bolt, yes I did. I've been applying penetrant every night for the last few days:tongue:. I also used the gun just after applying more penetrant in hopes to aid the progression of the oil with the vibration of the gun.

Lucas

Lucas, can you weight that crankshaft pulley for me? Thanks

For sure. I just got it off last night :biggrin:.

- - - Updated - - -

After breaking all my 1/2" drive extensions I realized I also broke my 3/4" drive breaker bar! (I believe due to the 3/4" to 1/2" reducer hitting the breaker head with three very high impulse hits (when breaking the extensions). Here's the damage:
View attachment 112839View attachment 112840

Back to Princess auto I went and picked up a 8" & 12" 3/4" drive extensions and a new 3/4" drive 3 foot breaker bar.

Here was my setup:
View attachment 112841

After applying what I calculated to be about 500 lbft of torque, she came off. For the record, the sound was lesser than snapping the 1/2" drive extensions.

No more pulley:
PullyOff.jpg
Note: My oil pan gasket is leaking slightly, I know.

Now with TitaniumDave's timing belt shield (fits perfectly):
TiDave Shield ON.jpg

And some photos of the old and new crank pulley:
Comparo1.jpgComparo2.jpgComparo3.jpg

A major relief to have this done and ready for Est Fest 2014!

Lucas

P.S. My A/C belt tensioner pulley bearing is cooked, and my alternator turns over OK, but its bearings make quite a racket:frown:. Said bearings are next on the list.

Lucas,
I'm glad that you have been able to get these maintenance items taken care on your NSX, looking forward to meeting you on Friday for the Est Fest track session.

Bram

Comparing the pulley to 7.5 and 10 lb weights, the pulley feels like it is 9 or 10 lbs.
I'm sorry I can't give you a better measurement, no scales in the house!

Lucas
No worries. I weighed ATI and OEM and it's aroud 2lb difference

I'm going to be attempting a crank pulley swap for the first time in the near future, and have been reading up on Prime.

Two things I haven't seen answers to are: is a pulley puller kit required to remove the pulley off of the crank, or does it just come off by hand; do the accessory belts have to be loosened in advance of the pulley removal, or can the belts be muscled/finagled without messing with the tension adjustment?

I can only answer your second question. Yes the belts need to be completely loosened to remove the pulley. That is clearly the easiest part of the job.
I'm going to be attempting a crank pulley swap for the first time in the near future, and have been reading up on Prime.

Two things I haven't seen answers to are: is a pulley puller kit required to remove the pulley off of the crank, or does it just come off by hand; do the accessory belts have to be loosened in advance of the pulley removal, or can the belts be muscled/finagled without messing with the tension adjustment?

When I did my timing belt, after removing the bolt the pulley came off easy just using my fingers. I agree with davidf - remove the belts!

As Frank mentioned, no puller needed. I have had a few that require a little elbow grease, but have never had one that needed a puller.

HTH,
LarryB

Back