• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

credit card fraud (interesting)

went out to dinner at local restaurant
used my Citi card (Costco) which was still in my wallet.
sometime after midnight 8 different Uber charges. i was asleep.
i have never used Uber (ever in my life)
Citi sent me an email asked if they were legit
i called them and told them i never used Uber, and my Citi card still in my wallet.
end result
they cancelled card and are sending me new one. i cut up my Citi card threw in trash.
question is - how did they do the Uber charges without my permission or card?
I live in Folsom, Ca. Uber charges were in San Francisco.

Never underestimate a thief. I have had over 1,000 dollars worth of charges billed to my credit card in Mexico City while I was vacationing in Fort Lauderdale! Good thing for FDIC insured.

went out to dinner at local restaurant
used my Citi card (Costco) which was still in my wallet.
sometime after midnight 8 different Uber charges. i was asleep.
i have never used Uber (ever in my life)
Citi sent me an email asked if they were legit
i called them and told them i never used Uber, and my Citi card still in my wallet.
end result
they cancelled card and are sending me new one. i cut up my Citi card threw in trash.
question is - how did they do the Uber charges without my permission or card?
I live in Folsom, Ca. Uber charges were in San Francisco.

OK spoke to Citi some more. Uber is done online with a credit card number, and the drivers do not check ID. so anyone can use Uber if they know your credit card info, even without the card.

Very common credit card fraud, unfortunately credit cards can be comprised many different ways. Credit card readers in pockets to cashier/waiter stealing the numbers as you wait.

When I was in Houston a few trips ago I went to some Chinese restaurant. Now I go out to eat a lot, but usually to the same spots. Long story short I tried the new place and a week or so later got a text from chase saying if I authorized a purchase from some online site for drugs based out of CA.

I gather the person at this restaurant stole my cc information, but it could have been somewhere else. Needless to say I haven't been back to that one spot, but also because the food sucked.

credit card fraud is pretty rampant nowadays. Whether it is buying luxury goods or just eating out, I've had it happen when I least suspect it.

Talking about fraud but different topic, I constanly get calls from some places and left messages...." IRS is suing you, blah blah or you have owed IRS and we will freeaze your banks, credit cards and will come to my house, blah, blah".

One time the phone rang and Caller ID showing from Washington DC, so I picked the phone... a lady was speaking English with heavy accent ( Jamaican accent maybe?) "This is IRS.....OK? ( that is so I could understand from her) and blah, blah...

How do you get rid of it?

Talking about fraud but different topic, I constanly get calls from some places and left messages...." IRS is suing you, blah blah or you have owed IRS and we will freeaze your banks, credit cards and will come to my house, blah, blah".

One time the phone rang and Caller ID showing from Washington DC, so I picked the phone... a lady was speaking English with heavy accent ( Jamaican accent maybe?) "This is IRS.....OK? ( that is so I could understand from her) and blah, blah...

I've gotten to the point that if I receive a phone call from a number I don't recognize (or worse, blocked), I don't answer. I figure if it's important they'll leave a message.

Just yesterday I was gassing up at a Chevron I frequent and see a piece of paper taped over the credit card reader that says, "PLEASE PAY INSIDE". I figure it's broken and look at the next one and then realize they're all covered. I go inside to pay and ask, "How long's this been going on?" and the clerk says, "Oh I put those up the other day." I asked, "Why all of them?" and he said to protect customers. I said, "Protect them from what?" He said, "The bad guys around here." I said, "Doing what?" He said they have some device they stick in the pump readers and can get your card info that way.

Wow, super convenient pay-at-the-pump being compromised. Stations will all probably need chip-readers soon or some other security gadget to get ahead of them until they can catch back up again to steal again.

It's very difficult to stop it. The important thing is to keep in mind that anyone important (i.e. the IRS or any other government agency, or any business, creditor, attorney, etc..) that a scammer may try to mimic will contact you via United States mail, not a telephone call (exception: collection agencies). NEVER, NEVER give out credit card info, social security numbers, bank account numbers, etc. to someone who contacted you over the phone. And credit card fraud? It sucks, but ultimately the credit card companies are on the hook should someone steal and fraudulently use a credit card, not the cardholder.

It's very difficult to stop it. The important thing is to keep in mind that anyone important (i.e. the IRS or any other government agency, or any business, creditor, attorney, etc..) that a scammer may try to mimic will contact you via United States mail, not a telephone call (exception: collection agencies). NEVER, NEVER give out credit card info, social security numbers, bank account numbers, etc. to someone who contacted you over the phone. And credit card fraud? It sucks, but ultimately the credit card companies are on the hook should someone steal and fraudulently use a credit card, not the cardholder.

Yep! After a while, it becomes annoying and I was told IRS never call and they only communicate by USPS if needed.

I just received another phone message several days ago and my 12-year old boy played the message. When I came in he said: " Someone is suing you, Dad!" So I played the message with same story: "IRS is suing.......I deleted instantly). They have called me for many occasions over several years and I have been tracking the phone numbers with my caller ID, they appear to have a network.... Washington , DC. Houston Texas,and other places.

Last edited:
You'll get a little less of those IRS calls now. A few months ago they busted this IRS scam ring and caught dozen of folks from US and Jamaica hence the Jamaican accent. I don't pick up any calls now unless I know the number. If it's important, they'll leave a message but most of the time these robo calls just drops. Annoying but it's part of this high tech world now. The government is willing to pay anyone I think over a million dollars if you can stop these so call robo calls, that's how annoying the are.

As to credit card scams, I used to frequent this gas station in NJ that's close to my work place when I used to drive in. For some reason, within 18 months I had replaced my A.E. 5 times. I then told A.E. that this is really the only place I use my card most often. They started an investigation on this gas station and busted another small gas station ring that pays the attendant certain amount of money for each card number they provide them. I mean I just got gas say 5:30pm and I got a call from A.E. 5:45 that I'm trying to make a big purchase ($3,600) from Idaho! Go figure!

Anyway, credit card you are pretty safe, the worst you pay no more than $50 in NY state.

But like other said, just be very vigilant on how you give away your identity. These scammers are getting very sophisticated than you think.

Back in 2005 while on my honeymoon. We deposited all the money we received at our wedding and used a debit card to spend the money. I stopped to put gas in the car using the card at the pump. There was a guy pumping gas at the opposite pump. I went into the store to buy something. The guy from the opposite pump was standing in line behind me and a woman was in front of me. The woman dropped 20 bucks on the floor behind her. I bent down picked it up and tapped her on her shoulder, gave her the money she dropped. While doing this it must have folded my dress pants just right for the guy behind me to steal my card. I didn't realize it was gone until I needed it again and by that time ALL the funds were GONE. Most of the money was spent at autozone or some other car parts store. It took me months to get the money back but I finally was reimbursed. They never caught the jerks who did it.

One other thing I learned recently is NEVER speak if you get one of this fake calls. I am told that they ask questions and try to get you to say the word "yes", them they use the recording to confirm you authorized them charging you. TOTAL SCAM!!!!!!

One other thing I learned recently is NEVER speak if you get one of this fake calls. I am told that they ask questions and try to get you to say the word "yes", them they use the recording to confirm you authorized them charging you. TOTAL SCAM!!!!!!

The latest is you pick up the call and you hear someone say "Hello, can you hear me?" and when you say "yes" they use that as an authorization. No idea how that works but I have gotten those calls and have read validated reports of it being a legit problem.

Back