• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CTSC install, idle wandering, slow throttle response

Hello,

We finished installing Comptech SC for my NA2 (MY97). Now we have problem with the wandering idle (from 1500 to 2300rpm). Also when starting the car, it revs about 5secs in 3700rpm. after that the wandering starts.

Also when I push the gas pedal, it respond normally, but when I let go off it, revs will stay up couple of seconds.

Any ideas what could be the problem? Vacuum leak, throttle body, air in the cooling system. Any other Ideas? the charger is Whipple.

Please let me know your ideas?

I just installed a used CT Autorotor kit for someone last week and had the exact same issue. The lower plate between the manifold and the blower was not tight. There are cap screws, (8) if I recall, and they need to be tight. Also if it is an Autorotor, there is a plate under the blower, then also a plate over the manifold, so the entire intake blower assy is a four part stack. ALL needs to be tight and sealed.

If it is assembled you will need to remove at least the four bolts holding the blower assy to the intake assembly, so you can move it. Then you can get to all the cap screws. I loosened the belt, removed the 4 bolts, and was able to get it to move enough to get to the screws. Do it carefully.

If this is not an Autorotor, and it is a Whipple, the above in different, but absolutely it is a vacuum leak.

I have to thank Shad Huntley, since I was scratching my head on this one, and we discussed it, and he lead me to the issue. Since this blower assy came to me complete, and was removed from a running car, I "assumed" the assembly was tight. And we know what happens when we "assume";).

HTH,
LarryB

Last edited:
One possibility depending on how old the whipple unit you have is, a common problem they had with the large vacuum bypass hose that goes below the charger often times collapse with the vacuum pressure. When it does this it makes your idle hang and act erratically. Check the hose to see if it's collapsing when you give it a little throttle. If this is the case, the hose can be reinforced with a spring insert to keep it from collapsing or you can modify it to be like the new units which were replaced with a solid aluminum hose and simply connect the ends with short rubber couplers.

Good luck,
Charles

We did the install together last weekend. And solved the problem yesterday. I took the Whipple unit apart from the car and we checked everything. I didn't notice while installing the unit, that there were small 5mm holes to each injector. Those are for the air assist rails and for some reason the euro model don't have those rails at all.

I didn't pay attention to the holes while installing the kit. So obviously it was a vacuum "leak" :)

No harm done, and we shut all the wholes, and test drived Pegi's car, feels nice after long cold winter :)

We sealed those with short M5 bolts and with oil and fuel compatible sealer.

My manifold has the holes sealed the same way from Comptech with allen heads screws. They have to be unscrewed for the air-bypass systems.

Last edited:
+1 on it being a vacuum leak.

+2. I had the same problem when I had a ctsx installed. Sealed up the nut holes and all is fine after that. Good luck.

Hello everybody!

It's beeing a while since my last post here, because my own probs...

But back again :D .
I have to thank my friend Waspe doing that sc installion to my nsex!!
We take a short drive with sc powered nsx and it weels nice.
Can't wait summer...

C u guys!

Hello everybody!

It's beeing a while since my last post here, because my own probs...

But back again :D .
I have to thank my friend Waspe doing that sc installion to my nsex!!
We take a short drive with sc powered nsx and it weels nice.
Can't wait summer...

C u guys!

Hi Pegi,
Glad to hear your NSX with CTSC is running fine now :smile:
Do you have a European NSX or an Acura.
I have just bought a Autorotor unit for myself and am wondering if I will run into the same problem as you have.

Hi Pegi,
Glad to hear your NSX with CTSC is running fine now :smile:
Do you have a European NSX or an Acura.
I have just bought a Autorotor unit for myself and am wondering if I will run into the same problem as you have.

Hi dude!
Yeah if feels great and running strong :)
My car is European Honda nsx.
We dont have that "air assist rails" what our americans friends have, so there is the "prob" but hey it can resolved with easy way!

So dont worry about it, install it and njoy!
Car feels quick @ passenger side ;) !

Thx buddy!
We will meet this summer...At least I believe that we are coming with my friend and make nice europeat trip @ august 2011 !
Keep in touch :)
-pegi
Will do! :) Keep in touch! :) Best regards!

Now is new headers installed also, nice. Thank you Waspe once again!

But hey I have some minor problems now... Im not good to do search, but I will try to do so. If you have answers, please help!

'I have comptech black box with my Comptech supercharger, with new Walbro high flow fuel pump.
It feels when you accelerate it goes and not. Kind of fuel problem?

- What might be best aftermarket ecu for my car, -97 NA2 3,2 with comptech sc?
What do you recommened?

Thank you for understanding!

-pegi

One possibility depending on how old the whipple unit you have is, a common problem they had with the large vacuum bypass hose that goes below the charger often times collapse with the vacuum pressure. When it does this it makes your idle hang and act erratically. Check the hose to see if it's collapsing when you give it a little throttle. If this is the case, the hose can be reinforced with a spring insert to keep it from collapsing or you can modify it to be like the new units which were replaced with a solid aluminum hose and simply connect the ends with short rubber couplers.

Good luck,
Charles

Gee, Charles. Wouldn't be my '97 MB CTSC you are thinking about, could it? That new hose did make a difference, too. No more idling at 2500rpm....

Can you describe the behaviour more detailled?

I try to with my great english skills :D !
Well, when I try to accelerate I can feel in my butt the car accelerates, flapping, accelerates, flapping, accelerates and so on in every "millisecond".
Hope so you understand what Im meaning. It doesn't go like it shut because that flapping.
I have read now that the reason might be some soldering between the comptech "black box" and fuel pump wirings.
Let's see...

Back