• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CV joint help

Make sure you inspect the mating surface inside the joint large end, where those bearings turn on. You want to be sure you are not only fixing 1/2 the problem.

HTH,
LarryB

Last edited:
Thanks [MENTION=8378]NSXGB[/MENTION]. Did you buy a used NSX driveshaft from which to scavenge parts? I remember a post stating that Shad had stopped selling his driveshafts but maybe I will give him a call. It may work to buy a set of new assemblies from Insane Shafts, as most people seem to be getting good results with them recently.

I was lucky, another member helped me out with a spare bearing assembly.

CV Joint Bearing Failure

Here's one reason for replacing a shaft or at least the bearings if I can find replacement bearings. This is from the Inbd right side shaft. The outside race broke and apparently all the needle bearings blew out through a tear in the boot. There wasn't one bearing to be found in the cup. If anyone knows where I can get bearing let me know.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20160416_162811875[1].jpg
    IMG_20160416_162811875[1].jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_20160416_184910415[1].jpg
    IMG_20160416_184910415[1].jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
Thank you Dave. I'm pretty sure I located a couple of used rollers (one more roller looked the same as the one pictured above, at the other end of the same shaft). And I agree about Insane Shafts being my likely next step.

It's strange that two of my rollers look like this while all others were perfect.

Just curious Jason - Did you end up flipping the roller, or source a new (used) roller? Thanks.

Just curious Jason - Did you end up flipping the roller, or source a new (used) roller? Thanks.
I found a couple used rollers that looked better than mine, so I used those. But I still think that it would be fine to flip the race so that the other side is loaded.

Thanks for the info.

I'm finally pulling out my shuddering SOS twin carbon with 5k miles and putting in the newest Exedy. I will also put in a new intermediate shaft bearing, and a new transmission input shaft bearing (although my transmission was rebuilt about 60k miles ago and this bearing should have been replaced - need to check the Acura receipt).

I'll probably buy the Inane Shafts to put in, and then take my time rebuilding the OEMs to sit on a shelf if/when I need them someday.

Back