• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

D2 Coilover Review

I've been running D2 coilovers for the last six months and enjoy them immensely. I did not like the idea of the Tein RE/A variant because of price and I did not like the flex because is was not a light-weight aluminum design. Though D2 Coilovers come with 15kg/mm front and 9kg/mm rear I ordered them 9kg/mm front and 7kg/mm rear, which is similar to the 02 NSX-R. It cost me $850 shipped from NOLimit Motorsports. Shipping took 4 weeks. For daily street driving it is just on the edge of stiff enough and soft enough. Stiff enough, gives great response, soft enough, without an uncomfortable ride. This was a good compromise since I wanted to track the car periodically yet have it as my daily driver. I have even driven this across country, Dallas to S.FL enjoying every minute of it. Going to a 7:7 or 7:5 ratio to soften it up a bit could be desirable for those who drive on very uneven streets like here in DFW and for the small desire of the female unit that some of us drive with. Even though some women might feel it is stiff let them drive it, it will change there mind. After my little woman drove the car she changed her tune, and agrees it is a great compromise of firmness; no more complaints, she wants her own NSX now. The 7:5 ratio would be similar to the 93-5 NSX-R. Any DFW NSXer desiring these is welcome to test-drive my car.

Last edited:
D2's are not to bad, though I found it bit stiff, handling is good

not a bad coil overs, good for Australia, as they have a d2 repairer/overhauler in Australia if there are any problems. Purchased mine for $1800 AU

Good job Thom!!

Thanks for the review. glad it worked out for you.. I never got the D2 since i was running a Koni/Tanabe setup. I may give D2 a try after reading the positive review.. Any Pictures of the Setup?

Sockeye said:
how did you come up with the sizes/ numbers for youre D2's, and why did you choose that brand . you sound happy . Let me know
Dylan

D2s have seen a good response in many other forums: NISSAN, HONDA-TECH etc. The price is lower than purchasing spring/shock combo. They are very similar in design to TEIN. They are rebuildable. You can order them with spring rates that you desire, in which they valve them to the spring rate you choose. These are some good reasons for buying them.

Remember whatever spring rate you choose to get you can only change your springs ±2kg/mm per your order to keep within warranty. If you get the basic 15:9 the max you could go up is 17:11, and the min you can go down is 13:7. Having mine built 9:7 allows me to go as soft as 7:5 which I believe would be a little stiffer than the springs most NSXers get. And if I turn mine into a more permenant track vehicle 11:9 is stiff enough for me.

Below is a chart depicting spring rates

Attachments

• spring rate2.JPG
    spring rate2.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 331
  • spring rate.JPG
    spring rate.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:
AUDIOPLUS said:
I Have Been Looking At The Tein Setup, But It Sounds Like You Are Happy With D2.what Specs Did You Order ?

I ordered them 9kg/mm front and 7kg/mm rear, which is similar to the 02 NSX-R. D2valved according to the 9 and 7 rates, allowing a max of ±2kg/mm alteration of spring choices from the valving to stay within warranty.

Thom, don't mean to dig up a old thread, but would you still recommend these after now a year of driving on them? Any signs of leaking, noises, or any funny things to report back?

They're OK.

Why did I get these?
I like the idea of the weight savings and full height adjustment.

What do I want to change?
When I get a chance I'm getting the a lower spring rate for a softer ride. going to 7/5. 9/7 is still a little too harsh. That is if 9/7 is really what they sent me.
I can't imagine how some folks are getting these with 15/9.
I figured that whether you get these or teins you are getting a stiff shock/spring set-up and I want the adjustment.

When I get softer springs for my setup and it becomes more comfortable I'll post.

Last edited:
I am going to a full air suspension system as soon as the digital guage control comes in. If anyone is interested I will be selling my D2's which have less than 500 miles on them. I came across the air suspension the day after I ordered the D2's. Call me if interested 817-269-3839 Brent:cool:

Well... i have my D2 set for a year and a half now... and now, 25000mls later, i must say that they are the best for the money...no leaks, no noises, and they behave just as they did when i installed them.... i cannot compare them to TODA, or something...but i can assure that for it's price...i even dare to say that for double their price it's hard...very hard to find best...

the car is firm... i have the rear shocks on the softest and the front ones 1,5 click from soft to stiff...they are very confortable...i had top coils on my previous cars...and i say, this D2 ones don't loose much, if any, to them...

Well, the reviews look OK. Mixed depending on some different perception of what their getting. I've also sourced around on other boards (some subie and nissan boards) and they seem to be fine or OK with the D2's (or Ksports which seem to be from the same core manufacturer with some different specs - color and spring rates) My objective is to have what Thom was seeking with the adjustable height but not the race proven harshness of a race bred coilover. Honestly, I'll probably never track my X. Perhaps I'll try one kg/mm lower than Thom and order 8/6 and see how it goes. I'll give NOlimit a call on monday. Anybody specific to talk to? I'll write up a update when I get these in the car.

BTW, UnhuZ, what spring rates did you get? I think they come off the shelf w/ 15/11.

fwiw, I researched the D2's when they were first mentioned on this board, and was able to find a vendor willing to offer a price of $800 for a new set with custom spring rates; I do not know what they're going for now, but this price was accurate as of perhaps a year ago.

On my personal car I ended up installing bilsteins with eibachs... this provided the ride height I was after, but it ended up not being stiff enough for the driving I wanted to do once I no longer was daily driving my nsx. About 4 months ago I installed a set of Advance flat out coilovers, which have been fantastic... these are not in the same price range as the D2's, but the feel of the car is perfect, and even with very stiff spring rates the car drives fine on public roads... I have even had an nsx owner with the nsx-r suspension call my car's straight line feel 'soft' (the spring rates are about 3x as stiff as nsx-r)... perhaps a strong statement with regard to quality components and how important proper valving is to the overall feel of the suspension once everything is put together.

Hi, I'm new here. I bought a 92 NSX last weekend and am looking into purchasing D2 coilovers. I have sort of a dumb question. why do you guys have a stronger spring in the front and softer spring in the rear. I am not gonna track the car and I want to lower it but have the stock ride. What spring rate do you recommand getting for my app.
So far I have volk GT-V 18/19 on the car other than that bone stock.

Any info would be alot of help.
Thanks
Rahim Jamal

Texas91Brent, you have PM

So can anyone else who has these recommand which setting to get? I will be using it for daily and trackdays occacionally. These seems like a good buy.

So can anyone else who has these recommand which setting to get? I will be using it for daily and trackdays occacionally. These seems like a good buy.

Hi, I'm new here. I bought a 92 NSX last weekend and am looking into purchasing D2 coilovers. I have sort of a dumb question. why do you guys have a stronger spring in the front and softer spring in the rear. I am not gonna track the car and I want to lower it but have the stock ride. What spring rate do you recommand getting for my app.
So far I have volk GT-V 18/19 on the car other than that bone stock.

Any info would be alot of help.
Thanks
Rahim Jamal

ANyone???

anyone? I figure its mid engine and rear wheel drive. Why would the rear spring rate be softer then the front? Anyone can shine some light?
Adrian

Well I ordered my D2 from Nolimit, I got em for $910 shipped.
Spring rate 8 front and 10 rear. I will try and put them on tomorrow.
These are really light and looks great.

RJNSX040.jpg

RJNSX041.jpg

RJNSX043.jpg

RJNSX044.jpg

I'll post pictures of the car before and after, and I'll let you know how they ride.

Rahim

Well I ordered my D2 from Nolimit, I got em for $910 shipped.
Spring rate 8 front and 10 rear. I will try and put them on tomorrow.
These are really light and looks great.

RJNSX040.jpg

RJNSX041.jpg

RJNSX043.jpg

RJNSX044.jpg

I'll post pictures of the car before and after, and I'll let you know how they ride.

Rahim

sweet :D cant wait

Back