• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

D2 Coilover Review

to adjust height on these, will you need to take out the suspension or will you be able to adjust while the suspension is still intact with the car?

to adjust height on these, will you need to take out the suspension or will you be able to adjust while the suspension is still intact with the car?

As with all coilovers, you remove the wheel, adjust the height of the perch on the damper, and reinstall the wheel; removal of the shock is not required.

yeah you can adjust the height without removal.
I like the D2 they are just a bit stiffer than stock but still smooth if you have it for a daily driver. Here is the link of the pictures I took today after adjusting the height, I still need to get alignment done.

Pictures after the drop

I have had D2's for about a year, right after the begaining of this thread. I put 19x18 rims on and the car handled like a 4 wheel drive so it was time for slamage. My tuner talked me in to 11front 7rear spring rates it is a little or more than a little stiff but in the corners it is the s#@*. With the blower, short gears, and excedy clutch the D2's seem to be appropriate for the setup even with the spring rates i chose. I did have a small squeek in the left rear but with a little lithium grease in the mounting bolt the noise was aleviated.

As with all coilovers, you remove the wheel, adjust the height of the perch on the damper, and reinstall the wheel; removal of the shock is not required.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have KTS coilovers for my RX-7 and what I have to do is disconnect the upper pillow ball mounts from the strut tower (basically the top part) adjust the perch to where i want it and spint the upper mount till it reaches the perch

Bump to see how these have held up and if there are any quality complaints.

I keep swinging back and forth on these. One on hand, a lot of people have been pleased, and on the other hand, people are knocking their origins/quality.

Personally, I think it is a matter of statistics. These are very popular on other vehicles, yet a few have complained about them blowing or leaking. Overall, this is a small percentage, and it appears that the NSX users have not had any problems.

I'll probably put in an order for them. I've been quoted $790 shipped for the RS coilovers - which seems like a great deal. I may spring (no pun intended) for the $2k Type Top Ones with dual adjustability (compression and rebound), and external reservoirs. These are monotube dampeners with a 1yr warranty.

More comments appreciated! Thanks, Dave

Well I ordered my D2 from Nolimit, I got em for $910 shipped.
Spring rate 8 front and 10 rear. I will try and put them on tomorrow.
These are really light and looks great.

RJNSX040.jpg

RJNSX041.jpg

RJNSX043.jpg

RJNSX044.jpg

I'll post pictures of the car before and after, and I'll let you know how they ride.

Rahim

I have these for sale aprox 300 miles useage, 675.00 firm shipped in usa. pm if interested

Last edited:
well.... after 2 years and 5 months with them, and about 35000 milles on them, what i have to say is the very same i did on my post above... :wink: :wink:

they are a winner for me :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

well i'd like to see what the update is now.

Is your set D2: Street, 0-400Drag or track racing?

I'm planning to get one. (Waiting almost 1,5 year another brand).
Many Finish car owners use D2 coilovers and seems like they are being happy :)

-pegi-

I've been running the D2s on my NSX for over three years now and I am still very pleased. I am however going to lower spring rates to soften the ride since I drive it to work everyday on some nasty Texas roads. I've been saying this for a while but time keeps slipping by. Hopefully this summer. 7/5 or 5/5 kg

Thom

Possible group buy on these D2's with No Limit Motorsport coming soon. Dustin@nolimit is looking into it. Keep an eye on the Vendor forum.

I was quoted $790 shipped just a few months ago for the RS coilovers. Go shop around at the HondaTech boards - there are a lot of vendors selling them.

Possible group buy on these D2's with No Limit Motorsport coming soon. Dustin@nolimit is looking into it. Keep an eye on the Vendor forum.
Any update on this as a Group Buy?

Brian

Last edited:
This kit looks very good & promising when I see it few weeks ago.
I think, I found what Im looking for... I believe it will be good product with solid price :)

"Quite often performance is relative to the best product an individual has used. Quite often it takes an individual to try a product in the true higher end of the spectrum for them to become enlightened."

Very true Stuntman. You've probably tracked the finest suspension setups money can buy in the NSX.

BUT it's also about bang for your buck too. For $800 shipped, it's hard to go wrong, and it will surely be a step up in performance relative to the old worn out OEM stuff most likely on these vehicles.

Very true Stuntman. You've probably tracked the finest suspension setups money can buy in the NSX.

BUT it's also about bang for your buck too. For $800 shipped, it's hard to go wrong, and it will surely be a step up in performance relative to the old worn out OEM stuff most likely on these vehicles.
I agree its an affordable option to replace worn suspension with an adjustable and ride height adjustable coilover.

I don't have experience with D2 on any car nor do I know much about them, so I cannot comment on D2. I can however comment on other coilovers in a similar price range that have terrible valving characteristics that the unexperienced would conclude as stiffer and better, as well as losing valving and dying or blowing seals and becoming shot in a short period of time.

All too often I see people in every community paying way more in the long run with suspension with that "buy it now, cheaper" mentality than saving an extre few hundred or thousand for a quality suspension that will last, feel better than stock, outperform stock and deliver what they want and more -for cheaper in the long run with less headache.

Suspension is one of the most overlooked aspects on a car. It will greatly affect the performance and ride (which you haveto live with every second you're in the car) so why not spend a little more on something that will transform your car into a better handling and better ride quality one time and only one time?

-thats my philosophy

There are a wide range of coilovers out there for us, from the cheapest $800 kit to basically as much as you want to spend.

The problem is, to get a nice street ride with stiff springs, you are looking at $3.5k or more. This is more than most are probably willing to spend.

I would go so far as saying the Tein, JIC, etc, are similar enough to the least expensive D2's that inexperienced drivers would not notice the difference. This comes from experience with other vehicles - not in an NSX. They should be similar since companies like D2, etc have most likely reverse-engineered Teins.... If you can spend $1800 on Teins, why not save $1k and take a chance with D2's, etc? Quality is getting better and better - people with D2's on here have not experienced any issues to date, so, statistically speaking, they are probably on par with Teins.

The KW's you are helping with sound promising, but will probably be around $2k, right? With the changing NSX owner demographics, those may only still see limited sales if you can get a coilover kit less than half that price. I'm guessing companies like D2, etc will just keep getting bigger and bigger.

Heck, I test drove the Hyundai Genesis this weekend and was pleasantly surprised. They reverse-engineered a lot of others' technology and even improved on some aspects. :eek: Hyundai has sure come A LONG WAY in the last 10 years and will continue to do so.

My $0.02.

There are a wide range of coilovers out there for us, from the cheapest $800 kit to basically as much as you want to spend.

The problem is, to get a nice street ride with stiff springs, you are looking at $3.5k or more. This is more than most are probably willing to spend.

I would go so far as saying the Tein, JIC, etc, are similar enough to the least expensive D2's that inexperienced drivers would not notice the difference. This comes from experience with other vehicles - not in an NSX. They should be similar since companies like D2, etc have most likely reverse-engineered Teins.... If you can spend $1800 on Teins, why not save $1k and take a chance with D2's, etc? Quality is getting better and better - people with D2's on here have not experienced any issues to date, so, statistically speaking, they are probably on par with Teins.

The KW's you are helping with sound promising, but will probably be around $2k, right? With the changing NSX owner demographics, those may only still see limited sales if you can get a coilover kit less than half that price. I'm guessing companies like D2, etc will just keep getting bigger and bigger.

Heck, I test drove the Hyundai Genesis this weekend and was pleasantly surprised. They reverse-engineered a lot of others' technology and even improved on some aspects. :eek: Hyundai has sure come A LONG WAY in the last 10 years and will continue to do so.

My $0.02.
KWs should be less than $3K, but we will know later this year.

Post #25 is worth re-reading.

Suspension is not easily 'copied'. Name a suspension company an I most likely have driven on the majority of their product line. Not all suspension is created equal and I'm pretty safe with saying that in the suspension department you tend to get what you pay for, BUT some products are not worth the prices they sell for and their are better options for the same price.

Dampers require a lot more engineering than copying a simple swaybar, chassis brace, intercooler, or suspension link. Their are a lot of very precise complex dynamic pieces in a damper that require a lot more engineering than simply copying a part.

With that being said, the durability, performance, ride, and handling of the car often will not be proper or up to par with a 'cheap' Chinese-made damper.

You own a Supercar, put on a suspension that will make your car handle like one and have a ride quality that will astound you. And no, stiffer springs do not = better performance. An example would be KW's philosophy with trying to get away with the softest springs possible and use the dampers to control the movement of the car. Afterall, softer springs yield more grip anyway.

Now not everyone has unlimited budgets, but saving a few hundred (or even a thousand) on better suspension is more than worth it. Especially if a $800 coilover only lasts a year or two (and Ive seen some last much less than that). If $800 is your price range, a set of Koni Yellow dampers and H&R Sports/Eibach Pro Kit will handle better than many of the cheap coilovers out there (while lasting longer, yielding better ride, etc...).

Again, I do not have experience with D2 (one of the few companies I havn't tried yet) so I cannot comment on them specifically, but I have commented on many coilovers that fit into that price range. I have been very impressed with KW, and they are coming soon. But as a whole, it's better to pay a little more up front (and wait longer to afford it) than it is to not be happy with something that is inferior and will break later on which often leads to spending more in the long run. -Especially for something as important as suspension!

My $0.02.

I remember back in 1999 for my civic, the ceapest tyres for the 16inch was TOYO. Now they are seen as a good brand.:wink:

I believe you do get what you pay for, but it's not like we're talking about spending an extra $50/tire or brake pad to get slightly better performance. This is $1k or more we're talking about.

The average person really isn't going to be able to tell the dampening differences between the $800 coilovers and the $1500+ ones for similar spring rates. The quality is actually pretty decent these days.

I believe you do get what you pay for, but it's not like we're talking about spending an extra $50/tire or brake pad to get slightly better performance. This is $1k or more we're talking about.

The average person really isn't going to be able to tell the dampening differences between the $800 coilovers and the $1500+ ones for similar spring rates. The quality is actually pretty decent these days.
from my experience, I would greatly disagree.

Springs are a simple device while dampers are a complex and far more dynamic component. Its much easier to copy a spring/rate than a damper and dampers affect (damp) the ride quality far more than spring rates. An example of.this is 1000/800lb springs on a moton/jrz having a better ride quality than some $2000 dampers from asia.

$1000 is a lot, but you don't own a civic. Invest a little into such an important component for your car.

I am very certain you will notice a difference and improvement in ride quality between 800 and 2500 dampers.

Back