• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Desiccant for NSX storage over the winter

Hi everyone,

Those of you who are members of NSXCC would have received my Long Term Storage checklist. Some of you may want to cover up your cars over the winter and or release the rubber seals as well.

I know I wanted to last year but my car cover even though it was fairly breathable, I was worried about moisture and opted to just leave all the openings fully closed and no car cover.

This year however, I've located a place that we can buy Desiccant in bulk for a fair price. The Desiccant is the more expensive Silica Gel type that will absorb 30-40% of it's weight in moisture. It's recommended that you leave 5lbs in the interior and 3 lbs in the trunk. It's more than likely that this should last the entire winter.

This Dry Cargo purposed Silica Gel comes in 500g breathable bags (just over 1lbs). The Desiccant can be reconditioned by simply baking it in your oven at low heat. The cost is $25 for 4kg (8 x 500g bags). The minimum purchase is 30 bags but if there is enough interest of serious buyers, I don't mind getting a bit more and splitting it. I can bring them to our next event, etc.

If there isn't enough interest I'll just buy the 30 and offer up 16 bags first come first served...

Have a great weekend everyone.

I'm in for $ 25.00 worth.
My car is in a heated garage so its OK but I need it for other purposes.
Let me know if and when you get it.
Thx

I'm in for some

(will it help keep Dave from drooling when he sees my Porsche? If so I'll take double)

Guys, Stu does not want this for his car, Captain Cool is hoping that he can rig something up with his Cool Suit to hide the buckets of sweat he lets rip when he laps.

It is quite a disgusting site to see! When he gets out of his pink porsche (he got a great deal on it), the guy is dripping. At first I thought that he pissed himself going through T2, which if you've been through T2 is not an unreasonable thing to do, but then I thought "How can he piss himself in that corner going so damn slow?" He crawls through there!

It turns out that it is sweat. Leaving T1 and looking forward at the dropoff and thinking about the blind off camber double apex does him in. Its like when you're washing your car with a sponge. Squeeze it and the flood gates open! It is exactly like that except for there is no fresh smelling soap there, it is just disgusting sweat! Lap after lap, at the same part of the track, Stu lets her rip!

He tried to blame the heat, so he got a Cool Suit. I blame his X chromosome! Apparently his Y is whipped.

Dave, you're a funny guy - I know you keep saying you don't "sweat", you "perspire" - I don't get it?

I still say when you're not whipped by the "wife" you should come out and we'll give rides to Club Members and have them decide who's faster, better, dryer

I challenged you in the last thread, you up for it?

Re: Question

Why leave the transmission in reverse (as opposite to netural)?

Just to keep the car from moving. You can leave it in Neutral but at the risk of the car moving. If you are on 100% level ground in a garage that pretty much stays closed, etc you can leave it in neutral. It's not a hard fast rule, just best practice...

Re: Question

Just to keep the car from moving. You can leave it in Neutral but at the risk of the car moving. If you are on 100% level ground in a garage that pretty much stays closed, etc you can leave it in neutral. It's not a hard fast rule, just best practice...

Also, most non-racers don't know but the e-brake is bad news and you shouldn't use it! it only helps wreck your back disks (especially if they're hot) leave your car in gear (especially reverse since its LOW) its harder to move a car in gear than if its in N with the e-brake on (trust a repo guy:wink:)

Back