• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Did my nsx short out? What should I check?

So yesterday I was doing some work on the nsx that involved disconnecting the battery. Work was safely done. While I was tightening the terminals back on the battery the car was on. When I got to the positive side the wrench I was using made contact with the spare tire holding thing (whatever its called :rolleyes:). There were sparks and the car shut off. I quickly went over to see if the car still had power and if it turned on. There was still power and it still turned on safely. My question is, is there something else I should check. I didn't drive the car. I just left it there.

If the car re-started fine you are OK. Reset your clock and radio stations;). Be Happy, could have been worse.

Regards,
LarryB

The simple answer is you momentarily shorted out the battery; its not great for the battery (or the wrench either, for that matter). However, resistance from dirt on things limited the current somewhat and your battery seems to have survived.

What puzzles me is you said "the car shut off". What was "on" when you had the battery disconnected? I hope the engine wasn't running as that's a sure way to damage car electronics. :eek: Ie, the battery not only stores energy, it acts as a big filter to smooth out the rectified ac voltage peaks from the alternator. And shorting out a running alternator can damage it, too.

Assuming the engine was not running, shorting out the battery should not damage any other electronics/electrical components in the car. (CYA statement: Theoretically, an inductive voltage spike is possible during the short, but usually that is filtered out.)

if the car was running and you decided swap car batteries as to not have to re-program your FM stations in your radio isnt that the problem there?

:biggrin:

Let me clarify, while the batt was disconnect the car was off. I put the battery back in after, then turned on the car. I forgot to tightened the terminals, so I did that while the car was on. Then what I explained above happened.

Let me clarify, while the batt was disconnect the car was off. I put the battery back in after, then turned on the car. I forgot to tightened the terminals, so I did that while the car was on. Then what I explained above happened.

rookie move there. but good thing u'll never do that again. :biggrin:

You got a fireworks show - that's all.

Back