• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Discover Credit Card..

Got an invite for ( I think) one of the higher Discover cards out there..

What caught my eye is $100 cash back after $750 in purchases in 90 days, which is too easy for some $$ in your pocket. Then some 3% of so on rewards type after that...

I have a WAMU/Chase card that is pretty similar that I get 3-5% on diff. stuff all year round..

was wondering if I should just get this card to get the easy $$....I had other cards that were just open with no balance, and of course they were closed recently without notice due to everything going on...

Credit score is high so I'm not worried about getting approved or anything like that...

The terms "pompous," "elitist," and "useless" came to mind when I first saw that card...till I noticed it was made of graphite. Now I want one :). Imagine one with a titanium, platinum or tungsten border. Yum.

Other than my paypal I use my Discover for every other online/mail order purchase. I can order something and go right down to Sears and pay it right off.:smile:

the real deal...

Go to www.blackcard.com for some real pimpin...
Ain't that the truth... I know someone who wanted (2) Super Bowl tickets last week, and less than 24 hours later they had them, for face-value. They used their AMEX "Black Card" which I presume is this or the hush-hush fabled other 'black card' by AMEX. . .

Last edited:
Meh, the benefits aren't that great for $500 / yr.

What?! The card is made out of some sort of carbon fiber unobtainium metal!!! tell me that's not worth $500/yr!!

It's the Visa version of the Amex black card.... less exclusive, less expensive, ...but will get you instant street cred....unless someone trumps you with the Amex Black card.

Then you have to take your shrunken manhood back home and cry.
:smile:

Apparently.

Re: the real deal...

Ain't that the truth... I know someone who wanted (2) Super Bowl tickets last week, and less than 24 hours later they had them, for face-value. They used their AMEX "Black Card" which I presume is this or the hush-hush fabled other 'black card' by AMEX. . .

If he was really able to buy them at face value, that would more than make the card worthwhile as he could turn around and sell them for 10x face value.

I have a Discover Card. It's a good card to have...as long as it's accepted. :tongue:

It's actually the only charge card I carry. I pay by cash (check card really - I hate having money on me) and once in a while when I want to make a charge purchase, I have my Discover.

I have been using discover exclusively for past 15 years. Mostly because their cash back programs are the best. Also login to their website and they typically have a bonus promotion ("Get More") that bumps the cash back up for certain items. Currently Jan-March 5% cashbakc on airlines/hotels/car rentals/cruises.

I use it everywhere and carry a mastercard for places that don't accept discover (not that many).

My wife uses their special online number program for online purchases. She just logins and it gives her a uniqure credit card number to use for online purchases.

"here we go..."

If he was really able to buy them at face value, that would more than make the card worthwhile as he could turn around and sell them for 10x face value.
Not that I've really kept up w/ past Super Bowl ticket prices in the secondary market(s), but tickets this time around are nowhere as jacked-up as they have been in the past. Perhaps 2.5x or 3x the face-value for a decent non-single ticket seems to be the trend this year, as I've actually looked into it quite extensively. Mediocre single-seats are readily going for marginally above face-value this week. The airfare & accommodations this year will easily trump the ticket costs, which generally never is the case w/ second-hand Super Bowl tickets.

Stillers' fans generally travel well in numbers for road-games. With all the available tickets this year at somewhat 'affordable' prices, it'll be interesting to see how much Black-&-Gold makes it into Raymond James Stadium. . .

Anywayz... on-topic w/ the 'black-cards', if you're a seasoned traveler w/ accompanying traveler(s), who generally upgrades their flights/accommodations, then these special credit-cards easily redeem themselves many times over. Also, the concierge services provided alleviate a lot of the headaches associated w/ being elsewhere in unfamiliar surroundings or w/o the time/connections to secure admission, access, reservations, or such to various events, venues, galas, restaurants, and live-shows/productions/concerts/etc'. For home-bodies (regardless of their relative affluence, income, or monthly charges accrued) who just wanna 'front what they got in their wallet, these black-cards really serve minimal utility. . .

Last edited:
Re: the real deal...

The AMEX Centurion card is indeed the original "Black Card". As the Wiki article states, invite only after typical annual charges of $250,000 for several years, $5,000 initial fees, $2,500 recurring fees.

The benefits are pretty impressive. Complimentary companion flight tickets, first-class upgrades, personal shoppers, hotel benefits, etc.

Crazy thing is that the new titanium versions recently mailed out are slightly thicker than a standard plastic card making it difficult to swipe through readers. :confused: You'd think for $2,500 per year they'd have gotten that right...:rolleyes: Whatever prestige one generates by producing this card from their wallet vanishes quickly after looking like a bozo being unable to insert it into a gas pump.

I have used discover for the last 13years. I charge everything on it from gas to paying bills at the end of the billing cycle I pay off everthing I have charged. I usually get back 400.00 to 500.00 a year from cash back rewards.
I take the cash back and put it towards the bill.

I only use my mastercard when discover is not accepted.

I have been using discover exclusively for past 15 years. Mostly because their cash back programs are the best. Also login to their website and they typically have a bonus promotion ("Get More") that bumps the cash back up for certain items. Currently Jan-March 5% cashbakc on airlines/hotels/car rentals/cruises.

I use it everywhere and carry a mastercard for places that don't accept discover (not that many).

My wife uses their special online number program for online purchases. She just logins and it gives her a uniqure credit card number to use for online purchases.

Take a look at American Express Blue Cash offers. 1.5% rebate on ALL purchases and 5% back on groceries/gas/drugstores.

I have used discover for the last 13years. I charge everything on it from gas to paying bills at the end of the billing cycle I pay off everthing I have charged. I usually get back 400.00 to 500.00 a year from cash back rewards.
I take the cash back and put it towards the bill.

I only use my mastercard when discover is not accepted.

+1

Except that I can put all my company business expenses on my card and get reimbursed. With the cash back increased reward offers they have with preferred vendors, I can't say I've spent any of my own money on my entire 2008 wardrobe. :biggrin:

I use to think the black card was pretty cool until everyone who pulled into our FBO started using it for fuel purchases. I thought they were supposed to be EXTREMELY exclusive but it seems like everyone with a private jet has one now and thats not a very exclusive club in my line of work.:tongue:

Back