• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do dealers treat NSX owners differently?

I bought my 91 NSX about a year a go and have used the local dealer for a couple of minor things. Haven't spent much money there, less than $500 so far.

I took it in today to have them install the Dali swaybars (yeah, I know, it's easy but I didn't want to try and lift it in my garage and the dealer is close).

This is an almost 20 year old car that they didn't sell to me and is obviously out of warranty but they gave me a loaner car, washed the NSX, and did a safety check at no cost.

I also have a new BMW that when I take it in for warranty work or whatever, it's a battle to get the BMW dealer to give me a rental car much less a decent loaner.

Is it just the dealer I'm using? Is it the car? Do they treat NSX owners differently? What am I missing?

Confused,

Brian

All Acura Dealerships treat you like gold,, Even with their low end TSX,, another reason Honda is the bomb, and BMW Dealerships, give you the run around to get even a warranty item repaired,, cuz they over charge for everything,, but when you need something replaced on the NSX it can hurt your wallet,, even more so than a BMW! But yea I have always gotten a loaner car from Acura

Acura is the luxury line of Honda, not Honda dealers, and they treat their customers with red carpet treatment. Lexus dealers will do the same. It is not the NSX that you drive , but it's the name that they carry.

Good to know, thanks. I thought maybe it was just the awesomeness of the NSX!

I'm also planning on putting on the Comptech SC and was surprised that they said they would be happy to do it and even had a vendor relationship with CT or whatever they're called now.

I'm looking to get a car for my kid this year and might just have to look at Acura if this is the kind of service one can expect for all their cars. Not so sure I'll have them do the SC though.

Brian

I refuse to take my car to local Acura dealer - Superior as they try and treat me like an ATM machine.

When Acura cut off the supply of long oil filters, I stopped by and bought out their entire remaining inventory. No discount for buying 11 filters, and when he was ringing it up he said "oh, you need crush washers - 25 cents each. Told him "never mind, keep the crush washers and the filters too by the way" and walked out.

I called them ONCE for a part and told the parts guy that they were over $100 more than another dealer's internet price. He said they don't match prices. I understand that, but this is another Acura dealer and if they can get close I would rather support the LOCAL dealer. Not one penny. Never patronized the place ever again. Guess they don't need the business.

At the BMW Store in Cincinnati, they wear white coats like they think they're Drs. My girlfriend went ballistic on the service manager when he came back with a $172 bill for an oil change and installing two windshield wipers. She asked him what he would say if his wife came home and had paid someone $60 to put two new wipers on? He took it off the bill and cut the outrageous oil change bill in 1/2 after admitting that no their mechanics did not attend "Oil Change University" to get that Doctorate and the white coat.

No - the local dealer doesn't give loaners. Hell, they wouldn't even give me a ride to get something to eat while I was waiting. Told me there was a Taco Bell down the street - "walking distance." :rolleyes:

Last edited:
To be fair every dealer is different.....I heard stories of bad dealerships and theres a lot out there. There are also a lot of good dealerships out there too if you happen to be located by it.

CL65- I understand where you are coming from....unfortunately you probably don't have a lot of choices and when one dealership rubs you the wrong way then its like everyone else gets lumped into it.

Some states only have one or two Acura dealerships and it sucks when both are bad.

Just buy the stuff that give you internet discounts like ray laks, allacuraparts.com or oemacuraparts.com.......the only downside is that the place you order the parts from has to receive it first before they send it to you, but its a pretty quick turnaround time.

Call a few and compare prices....

First off I would be cautious what dealer I take my Nsx to

Second I would make sure I was able to watch the car the whole time

Third make sure you check the car before and after service for anything like excessive milage or any body damage

Ohh get a price for the service before letting them work on it

I feel its the car. When I go pick up a part from the Acura dealer, I usually go with the nsx. If's funny when I pull in the car is surounded with sales people, and service. Last time i took my car to the dealer to pick up a part one mechanic looked at my engine bay and said what polished airbox is that. I told him it is not an airbox, he was reffering to my air/water intercooler.:biggrin: If my car has to go to a dealer only one I take it to is Davis Acura. Bernie is a great guy and mechanic. Frank

DRTRUONG
Acura is the luxury line of Honda, not Honda dealers, and they treat their customers with red carpet treatment. Lexus dealers will do the same. It is not the NSX that you drive , but it's the name that they carry.

First I was talking about How Acura AND Honda Treat their customers, DUUUU we all know Acura is the Luxury Line of Honda,,,and Lexus is still a Toyota,, with all these recalls its funny that they dont mention the recall cuz they use the same parts as the toyota Branded cars,, but its even more funny they sent letters out to lexus Owners to bring their cars in to be fixed!!! I didnt see that on the news report,,, dont wanna ruin the LEXUS brand name either!! so lets keep it quite,,, well my buddy has a new Lexus and told me about the letter,,
and When I pull up to my Acura Dealer all the guys run up to my car and start talking to me about it,, open the doors for me,, at the same time the Lady in the new 2010 TL has to open their own door to get in the building,, LOL,, so Yea its the car,,, when I go to the Honda Dealership same thing run to my car ,,managers ask me to drive it,, I say no, maybe next time,, so its the car itself not the Name!! I have an NSX do you?

Last edited:
Our RL is due service, Acura dealer charged us $540 = JOKE, for:

Tire rotation, Brake fluid, Transmission fluid, Differential fluid, Cabin Air filter, Air Filter

Amazing!

Eddie is right. Each dealership is different and you want to be sure to check them out. Word of mouth is the best way to find a good mechanic. I prefer to go to a trusted independant based on recomendations from other owners.

Yeah I have been robbed by dealers before,, 124 bucks parts,, 700 labor,, I could have done it myself,, If you can do-it yourself then pull out those tools,, cuz if given the chance they will get your wallet!!

dealers are not dumbdumbs....you pay more for acura service vs honda,what you get in return is a more upscale service aproach and a loaner.If you do the math its about a wash if you had to rent a car.So in other words make sure you take advantage of the "perks".

The one big variable is the individual dealer....this makes all the difference in the world and would explain the variance in treatment.

The only time you should expect uniform service is at a Pensky/CarMax dealer where they have strict rules in place.

The second variable is the manufacturer. If you own a new BMW, you don't spent anything on service for the frist 4 years/50,000 miles...not even on brakes. I'm not sure where the hatred for BMW is, but you should expect not to spend a dime on your car during the warranty period.

As a salesman, I find it difficult explaining to customers that you want to create a relationship with your local dealer. That way you are guranteed a loaner car and you have someone to contact if something goes wrong.

In this day and age, when you buy a luxery car, expect to pay big for routine maintenece. I am not surprised people have mentioned $400+ for an oil change/tire rotation/fluids on their car. With most cars only needing servicing every 10,000 or 15,000 miles, it is relatively cheap.

Ask your sales consultant what you should expect for service costs, that way you won't be surprised when the bill comes.

Lastly, it is natural for dealerships to treat high end cars with a little more care. When someone pulls up in a 200,000 dollar Mercedes CL65, heads are going to turn and everyone wants to watch whats going on....that's a natural reaction among car enthusiasts. That doesn't mean everyone shouldn't be treated the same whether you buy a C300 or a SLR Mclaren.

I've been to Acura dealers that were NSX friendly, most have been indifferent. While Acura is the Lux brand of Honda, that doesn't mean good dealers and customer service.

My buddy used to work for Lexus dealerships and the worst dealers in the country are Toyota because one doesn't have to work on customer service when people want to buy the car.

Infinity dealers seem to be the best, always helpful.

Miner

Some dealers are good some are bad. Just watch your back. Years back I was short on time and brought my NSX for an oil change at a local Acura Dealership. (hint its where the monthly meet is) :wink:

They took it back to work on, and I went walking around talking on my cel. Saw my car on the lift, guy working on it had his back turned. Next thing I know I see the lift descending, with the oil catch can still under it. I yelled at the guy, and he stopped it before any damage was done. Apparently he forgot to put the safety or lock on, whatever its called. :eek: Just happened to by lucky I was there and saw the whole thing. Ever since then, my car has not returned there for any service. I am sure they do good work, but sh*t happens and that incident just left me disturbed.

I bought my 91 NSX about a year a go and have used the local dealer for a couple of minor things. Haven't spent much money there, less than $500 so far.

I took it in today to have them install the Dali swaybars (yeah, I know, it's easy but I didn't want to try and lift it in my garage and the dealer is close).

This is an almost 20 year old car that they didn't sell to me and is obviously out of warranty but they gave me a loaner car, washed the NSX, and did a safety check at no cost.

I also have a new BMW that when I take it in for warranty work or whatever, it's a battle to get the BMW dealer to give me a rental car much less a decent loaner.

Is it just the dealer I'm using? Is it the car? Do they treat NSX owners differently? What am I missing?

Confused,

Brian

It's got to be the dealer because with BMW they come here to the house and pick up the vehicle and leave a loaner then bring the vehicle back and pick up the loaner. It's a 4+ hour round trip for them to do so. The service I have had with BMW is fantastic and I will buy another one when the time comes.

Dealerships are different, and if you find one that treats you well, make sure to continue to patronize them and let them know why.

In the first year of ownership I had two major items in for repair -- my windshield cracked inexplicably, and my car failed smog, and needed the catalytic converter replaced. Even though the car was years out of warranty, the dealership (with the blessing of Acura, I presume) goodwill'd it and gave me both for free. The second in particular took two weeks, as the part had to be shipped over from Japan, and the car was undrivable during this time, and the dealer gave me a loaner Integra (new at the time) to drive around for the time.

That was nice of them.

It's got to be the dealer because with BMW they come here to the house and pick up the vehicle and leave a loaner then bring the vehicle back and pick up the loaner. It's a 4+ hour round trip for them to do so. The service I have had with BMW is fantastic and I will buy another one when the time comes.

I can confirm this. Both of my local BMW dealerships do a impeccable job at service. I've had 135, 328, 335, 528 as my loaner car. They also come pickup the car and drop the loaner off at my driveway. They also call me when they need to test-drive the car in some cases, because I told them I hate joy-rides and my car does not leave the parking lot without my permission. They would call me every time and have a mechanic ride-in with me for make sure things are okay. However, the nearest BMW has very firm price for their cars, and the one 100 miles away always have huge discounts at year end. Like people said, it's dealer by dealer.

My local Acura is a different story. It's a Honda/Acura that shares a single service department. They have not a single loaner, and the shuttle is an Odyssey that has an average wait time of an hour.

They're also different in lease policy. I really wanted to buy my IS350 when the lease ended. I only drove 18k miles in 3 years and my lease agreement allowed 30k. The market was so slow(12 month ago) that I know it wasn't anywhere near the residual price. However, the local Lexus dealership told me "we cannot help you because it's between you and the leasing company(Toyota)." They said it like they were not the one who sold me the car. I then called Toyota several times, and their phone representative did not give a rat's @ss about it. They simply told me to either send a check with full residual price or return the car. In my other lease, the BMW dealership would help me buy off my BMW at lease end with 85% of the original residual price. Every dealership is different.

but like the statment earlier was 300-400 oil change? when and if you did it yourself would cost 30 bucks,, I dont see why they charge so much,, its not right,, its called robbery, cuz they know they con get away with it cuz whats that little old lady gonna do to the big bad service rep!! and the fact that we just except that is stupid,, I wont say anything while you rob me,,, NOT ME<<---- Im not one of the sheep of the world! that just lays down when told

My local Honda and Acura dealer always give me a loaner car for anything I bring our cars in for.

Ditto...it's all about the individual dealership. The Acura dealership I go to provides excellent customer service and quality repair service, although service is more costly than an independent mechanic. I've heard horror stories about some of the Acura dealerships in Southern California however.

Back