• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do it yourself Track Rims

NSX DIY TRACK RIMS!

Hey… for next to nothing U can paint your NSX rims in a professional manner.
You will need: Time, a lame “mouse” sander by black and decker $19.00, lots of sandpaper and varying grits. 50-300, one really nice apartment bathroom with a ventilation fan to sand your rims down in, spray can primer of your choice, a respirator not a lame mask (like I used), gloves to protect your hands, ear plugs if U wanna protect your ears.

* Dupli-color High Performance Wheel Paint (This stuff Kicks butt!)

1. Find oem rims that have been raped. Better if tires have tread. Pick them up cheap.
2. Clean oem rims really well with soap and water.
3. Sand imperfection out of rims.
4. Be compulsive and sand the entire rim down to the bare aluminum for weight savings.
5. Clean rims really well with soap and water.
6. Dry rims really well. Let rims dry for 24 hours or so?
7. Tape off tires with tape. Hope the previous owner did not use tire shine crap as this makes it difficult. I found a two step process to work best. Step 1: Slide tape under lip of wheel inbetween lip of wheel and tire. Step 2: grab garbage bags and tape them to the tape u just applied to the tire. Wrap bags around tire and tape them to the back side of wheel where you also ran masking off tape under the rim lip on the tire.
8. Find a nice spot to paint rims. Not too humid and no wind. Proper ventilation helps too.
9. Tape painting area off if necessary.
10. Prime rims front and back. Let rims dry. Use compressed air to blow any dust that settles off the rims. Hit them with a second coat of primer.
11. Let the rims dry really well. Hit them with compressed air in order to remove dust particles. Spray coat number one on the rims. Let tem dry for 2 hours. Hit them with compressed air and hit them with a second coat of paint. Paint the backs first then move to the fronts so you can have a smoothe finish on the front and not have any over spray which can be flatter than the normal coat. Also spray the holees or harder areas and u will notice that the easy areas are already painted. If u paint the easy ares and then go for the holes... you will get too much paint on the rims.
12. Clean black bugers out of your nose as your mask will not get all the dust/paint. Clean paint off of yourself.
13. Take them somewhere and have them balanced. Use tape a weights on the inside of the wheels for cosmetic reasons. Make them be careful and not scratch your fresh rims!
14. Slap your track rims on your NSX (remember to torque them to 80lbs.) and hit the road.

Attachments

• closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 864
Last edited:
I have a different type of compressed air in my bathroom :D :D Those wheels show the effort you put into them. Very Nice.

nsx at mechanic for exhast change

rm dtm exhaust blew up ;) if u have the rm dtm and it has a rattle.. take it off before u shoot flames all over your underside.

Attachments

• trackthis.jpg
    trackthis.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,085
Quote:
13. Take them somewhere and have them balanced. Use tape a weights on the inside of the wheels for cosmetic reasons. Make them be careful and not scratch your fresh rims!

Just a little hint: Don't use tape weights on the inside if you have bigger brakes! They won't clear the caliper.

Lee, great write up! I have to admit, the wheels look great on your red NSX.
Is that another NSX is the garage too??
On a side note, would you be interested in selling the tips from the RM exhaust that you blew? :D Please let me know, I'd be interested in purchasing just the tips.
Regards

Lee,

Very nice writeup. One thing you should do. MAKE SURE you scrape the paint away around the lug nut contact points. If you do not the lug nuts will loosen.

I had two rears refinished professionally and the paint was on the lug holes. 8 laps at Watkins Glen = loose wheels!!!!! Yes they were torqued properly:).

HTH,
LarryB

replies

wow... i have noticed the reverse. my lugs have loosened less with the new paint than they normally would before the paint. aluminum wheels loosen as it is after 20-70 miles. i check them after 70 with my torque wrench. i drove these from alabama to washington dc and checked them and they loosened less than they normally did beforehand.

yeah. i chipped the paint on one rim with my torque wrench... but unlike the factory paint... i can fix it in about 30 minutes for no cost ;)

Yeah... my track rims are my daily driver rims... so they gotta look somewhat ok. I sold my bling bling racing sparcos 17/18 to Mike in PA. I wanted smaller cheaper daily driver rubber.

Yeah!
Lee

td2k_nsx said:
aluminum wheels loosen as it is after 20-70 miles.
:eek:

Lug nuts on properly-torqued wheels shouldn't loosen. At least, mine have never loosened. Except for the time that I forgot to torque them - but that's another story. ;)

nsxtasy said:
:eek:

Lug nuts on properly-torqued wheels shouldn't loosen. At least, mine have never loosened. Except for the time that I forgot to torque them - but that's another story. ;)

Most tire shops will recommend all aluminum wheels be re-torqued after 1-2 days. One actually recommends that I return to the shop so they can do it for me.

For almost next to nothing (~$200) you can have the wheels sandblasted and powdercoated for a beautiful glossy and durable finish as well. I opted for this and it has served me well for 2 years.

what????

hook a brother up! who did this for you??? the best offer i found after extensize east coast research was 500 something odd dollars. so i opted for the 3 dollar can of paint.

wow!

Wow! What a deal!

I was interested. It was too much. I looked into getting a used oven and doing it myself. Too much trouble though... not enough room in my apartment.

Lee

I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY ARE MY STOCK RIMS!!!:eek:

Lee you did a great job, they look wonderful. They go great with your beautiful red NSX. Sorry to see your exhaust blew up.

I still love the Racing Sparco wheels. They are gorgeous.

Thank you for all of your help.

-Mike

Attachments

• racingsparco2.jpg
    racingsparco2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 584
Looks nice!

I'd like to do the same with my OEM's for the track..very neat!

Re: wow!

td2k_nsx said:
Wow! What a deal!

I was interested. It was too much. I looked into getting a used oven and doing it myself. Too much trouble though... not enough room in my apartment.

Lee

You might want to try Warren Fabrications in Thurmont, MD.

They did my brother's RSX OEM wheels in gloss black and they look great after months of track abuse. :)

Re: rm dtm that blew up

td2k_nsx said:
rm dtm blown up...

Yikes. I always thought the NSX crossflow exhaust design is quetionable in terms of free flow and muffler longevity. LOOK!! blew up at the crossing point.

Maybe just do a Flowmaster or dual 6" dia magnaflow cans

attachment.php

Back