• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do you park your NSX during the winter

Just curious as to if and/or when you store your NSX during winter?

I'm planning on parking mine end of Oct until March/April ... 5 long months. :( The winters sure are long in northern Alberta.

I have a very nice 4x4 truck (pretty much standard equipment in Alberta) to drive when it snows but it doesn't handle as well or is as much fun to drive as the NSX. ;)

I usually wait until the first snowfall.. and then wait some more to see if there's some clear weather beyond it. :D I really try to drive it to the last possible moment without getting caught in a freezing rain/snow situation. Last year I drove it til the last week in December, and then pulled it out beginning of March.

I met one guy this winter who was driving his car all year round! He just slapped on some winter tires and away he went. I don't think I'd ever take that chance even if the car handled perfectly in the snow, just because you can never predict when someone else will lose control on a slippery surface etc.

I've found that my fun cars do better if I keep driving them during the winter. I usually don't take the NSX out in rain, and never in snow or when salt is on the road. Other than that, I drive it all year. In Lancaster PA we have plenty of days in the winter where the roads are free from snow and salt. I think cars do better when used regularly. YMMV

I live in Regina and drive mine all year round and have for the last 3 winters. Our winters here are no better/worse than yours. Just get yourself a set of winter tires and a second set of rims (you can get '91 to '94 OEM NSX rims for dirt cheap) and slap them on when the first snow hits.

Although I've never had a 4x4 like you, I consider the NSX with snow tires to have the best winter traction of any car I've driven in the last 35+ years. And the whole salt thing is way over rated .. it doesn't affect aluminum... but get yourself a bra because everyone else is going to be throwing up the sand/salt mixture that they throw on the highways.

Here's an article I wrote for another site after my first winter... and nothing has really changed other than I've now got more history on the non-effects of salt and of having no failures that I would attribute to winter driving. I can tell you that it reliably starts at -35 without being plugged in ... I've driven it on the highway for 350 miles at -36 and the climate control system worked so well, I didn't even have my coat on or have problems with windows icing up (I do block the center opening in the grill as a precaution).
http://www.nsxsc.com/html/body_article27.html

I have already parked my NSX for the winter.....

Cave -- > I'm letting you catch up to me in terms of kms on the car.....

Last edited:
Mine is usually in the garage on jack stands from early Dec. to late March early April. That's a good four months to get underneath, make sure everything is nice and tight, polish whatever and sit in it while mentally picturing how to drive the perfect lap at Mid-Ohio.

I'm planning to put my car in storage by Mid October for the latest. Do you guys put the car on stands or just let it sit on the wheels ?

I'll wait and see what the weather/salt condition before bring out the car in the spring.

Bram
Caveman said:
Just curious as to if and/or when you store your NSX during winter?

I'm planning on parking mine end of Oct until March/April ... 5 long months. :( The winters sure are long in northern Alberta.

I have a very nice 4x4 truck (pretty much standard equipment in Alberta) to drive when it snows but it doesn't handle as well or is as much fun to drive as the NSX. ;)

Here's a tip if you're not planning on putting your car up on stands. Cut out 4 pieces of carpetting and put one underneath each wheel. This will keep the tires from flatspotting on the cold floor over the winter. I tried this technique last winter, and it worked perfectly!

Arshad said:
Here's a tip if you're not planning on putting your car up on stands. Cut out 4 pieces of carpetting and put one underneath each wheel. This will keep the tires from flatspotting on the cold floor over the winter. I tried this technique last winter, and it worked perfectly!

I do the carpet squares so my cars 'feet' do not get cold... :D

I park both my NSX and Alfa in Mid-November and bring them out mid-March. I inflate the tires, place a car cover over each and put a battery charger on. I have been doing that for 3 years now. I also remove the collision portion of the insurance coverage to save money. Additionally, I drive both less cars than 5k miles/yr, so qualify for a reduced cost inspection here in PA. Finally, I register the cars for only a portion of the year, saving a few more dollars.

all NSX owner should just move to Australia ;)
winter is just as good as summer so you can drive ur NSX all year round, isn't it good :D
but we don't have much NSX here so u should bring ur own

Mine will get put to bed sometime in the next 2 to 3 weeks. Last year I just kept it in the garage but we anticipate adding another vehicle to the stable in the next month or two, so I'm looking for secure off-site storage. Think I've found it if all works out OK. If not...well....my wife's car will just have to sit on the driveway. ;) j/k

It'll be a loooong winter again. Hope I can get it back out April 1st like I did this past year! NSXPrime helps to ease the withdrawal pains.

I am going to be parking both of mine this winter. The '91 will be getting a suspension overhaul, and the '94 is just too freaking low now to get through the snow. Oh well....problems could be worse I guess. :D

There ARE positives to parking a NSX in the winter!

Less miles on the odometer = more years to enjoy it!

Feel much better tearing it apart in winter to upgrade suspension, brakes, motor work etc etc.

Finally have time to actually sit and watch speed TV during this time.

Time to save up money for parts, instead of spending it on events!

The list goes on and on!

I go from Dec 1 to Apr 1 (4 months) BUT in the past 5 years or so, I have had mine out during every month due to the trend towards mild winters in WI.

Woke up to a blanket of about 1.5" of snow this morning and more in the next couple of days so decided to put the snow tires on today as a precaution even though it'll likely be gone by mid week. I've got it down to about 10-15 mins per side since I discovered the central jacking location which allows you to do two wheels at a time.

Just parked the car this past Friday. Was hoping to drive it until beginning of November, but recent decline in nice weather has seen that date move up a couple of weeks. :(

The 10" of snow we got on Saturday Oct 16/04 kind of tells it all. Took my daughter to work in Sherwood Park at 55 km/hr. I have never seen a car twist side to side on ice and slush. Must be the alignment and tyre's to blame.
Pulled out the Concorde that afternoon and parked the nsx till the roads dry hopefully this weekend coming up. I now have cupholders, a soft ride, a rear view mirror that dims and a lousy Chrysler sound system. I still saw some women looking my way as I drove by; must be that new goat-t I'm sporting or maybe its the 20 lbs I lost in the last month! :)
Trev

Hi

I am not in Canada. But probably as far north as you guys. According to my GPS I am at about N68'26'24.8, E17'27.41.0 so I will be parking very soon. It is cold as hell outside. But no clouds seen yet on the sky. But it will be snow very soon and my NSX will be tucked in in the garage this week.

Will be taken out to play in april/may I think. Will do some maintance like fixing the stereo and stuff like that. Maybe add HID lights too during the hibernation period.

I have driven about 25.000km since I bought the NSX exactly one year ago.

It is too low to go around in the snow with so the Vw Golf 1983 model I have will do :)

Regards

Still driving mine for another week anyways. Tried to park it on Nov 1/04 but just couldn't do it. Having a great time with it.
NSX + Cold Roads + Cold Tyres = Lots of Fun!
Running Toyo Proxes FZ4 all around on stock rims.
Trev

ffffanman said:
Still driving mine for another week anyways. Tried to park it on Nov 1/04 but just couldn't do it. Having a great time with it.
NSX + Cold Roads + Cold Tyres = Lots of Fun!
Running Toyo Proxes FZ4 all around on stock rims.
Trev

I tried the, Snow + Yoko A-022 + Ice, combination once.....BAD NEWS!! :biggrin:

I alreadly paked mine NSX and S2000 in the garage

I have to drive my type-R for the whole winter :frown:

Back