• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do you think a deal like this will come along again?

Marketplace NSX

I have the financing to get it if I want to. The issue is I'm about to study abroad in Australia for a year so the car would basically have to be stored. Do you think I should jump on this because it is such an awesome deal, or should I wait until I get back when I have more time to shop around (and I can actually drive the car).

I've been lusting after the NSX for about a decade, so regardless, if I don't get one now, I'll finally be buying one after I get back.

Sounds like it is in snap-ring range, late 1991 production. I would get the trans serial number then decide.

Regards,
LarryB

He says its not in the snap-ring which I'd have to verify. I'm just anxious for a NSX, but I know they will always be around when I get back. I just liked that it was a one owner, non-molested car with low miles.

Just wondering about this at the bottom of his Post?

Last edited by Stewart W : 05-05-2005 at 07:44. Reason: tranmission not included

Sockeye said:
Just wondering about this at the bottom of his Post?

Last edited by Stewart W : 05-05-2005 at 07:44. Reason: tranmission not included

I guess hes new. He meant it wasn't included in the snap-ring range as he verified in his email to me.

I would never buy a car, only to have it stored for a year. That's worst than burying your cash in your own backyard for a year. My suggestion would be to put that money in a mutual fund or a one year CD and when your back from your studies in Austrailia, you'll have money to buy a nice NSX. Cars will always be there, I have never heard of a one and only deal. Don't make an emotional buy, focus on your studies and when your ready, you will find the right deal. :wink:
If your financing don't bother getting a loan and putting it in the bank. Just wait till you get back.

Paul

If u have a full year u could save, instead of blowing your money, make those payments to yourself anyways... put them im a savings account.. maybe save as much extra as u can, ...

maybe in a year u could slip into a 97+ depending on how much MORE money down you could put as compared to now.

good luck with the kangaroos

Larry Bastanza said:
Sounds like it is in snap-ring range, late 1991 production. I would get the trans serial number then decide.

Regards,
LarryB
FYI, my NSX has a later VIN than that one, and it is not in the range.

I could not agree more with HPV100. Put the money in a cash investment vehicle to make money for the year and when you return buy and NSX.

Dave Hardy said:
It sounds like a decent car, but it's not a phenomenal deal. It's going for basically what it should be going for. I wouldn't buy it and store it, as a similar deal shouldn't be hard to find.

If that was near me in So Cal, I'd probably have my next NSX...That is a good buy if it is as advertised with all the major services done...and not in SRR....If you find more original owner, blk/blk, 65K or less miles, out of SRR with all major service records for $25K or less, let me know :biggrin:

91 X said:
If that was near me in So Cal, I'd probably have my next NSX...That is a good buy if it is as advertised with all the major services done...and not in SRR....If you find more original owner, blk/blk, 65K or less miles, out of SRR with all major service records for $25K or less, let me know :biggrin:

Original owner is of no value to me. The mileage is low, but that is of little value - it's a Honda, it will run forever. I put a '91 model's starting value at $20K and adjust from there. It's had $5K worth of useful maintanance recently, so the $5K bump is reasonable, though I'd personally go for the $20K car that hasn't had the maintanace and do it myself.

I say you take the money with you and spend it on women, and Booze :wink: J/K, wait till you come back you might find a NSX with a bunch of Extra's around the same price, and you will be kicking yourself later,and not to mention that your new austrialian girlfriend, will think you are and idiot also and leave you :eek: ...J/K again :tongue: , like they say Good things come to those who wait!!! :cool:

Dave Hardy said:
Original owner is of no value to me. The mileage is low, but that is of little value - it's a Honda, it will run forever. I put a '91 model's starting value at $20K and adjust from there. It's had $5K worth of useful maintanance recently, so the $5K bump is reasonable, though I'd personally go for the $20K car that hasn't had the maintanace and do it myself.

Have you looked at AutoTrader.com or NSX Prime for sale section lately??

$20K for a '91??? are you talking about beaters or salvaged title or something??? Low milage might not matter to you, but 99% of people cringe if it is over the magic 100K mark no matter what kinda car it is...So the further away from 100K the better as far as resale value/depreciation.
Like I said, find me another NSX with all the above for same price or less and see how many you find...

91 X said:
Have you looked at AutoTrader.com or NSX Prime for sale section lately??

$20K for a '91??? are you talking about beaters or salvaged title or something??? Low milage might not matter to you, but 99% of people cringe if it is over the magic 100K mark no matter what kinda car it is...So the further away from 100K the better as far as resale value/depreciation.
Like I said, find me another NSX with all the above for same price or less and see how many you find...

I'm going to have to agree with 91 X. There are no cars available for $20k (that aren't salvage or that don't have 140k+ miles). I know it is a Honda, but still, even if people take care of it, a car will show more wear with 90k (interior & exterior) than, unless the car was trashed, one with 20-40k miles. There are some on ebay, but still not quite as good as the deal on Prime that I posted earlier. There is however, one with no reserve starting at $29,500 with 21k miles which sounds like a great deal. I might try to look for a super low mileage one when I get back depending on price.

Dave Hardy said:
I've already had this debate a few other times. Feel free to search if you'd like to see the other examples I found. I don't feel like arguing the point, I was just giving my opinion.

You know what they say about "opinions"........... :biggrin: :wink: :tongue:

Brent,

looks like you are already leaning towards the right decision-not buying it and storing it.

The listed car maybe considered a good deal, but not a once-in-a-lifetime deal. If you start searching for a car a month before your arrival (im sure you will have internet access in Australia, right?) you are bound to find an equally good deal. Not considering relatively immaterial depreciation costs, if you use debt to finance your car, then you will lose 6 to $700 in interest costs. Even worse, if you use cash, you are looking at an even higher opportunity cost.

Conclusion- have fun on your study abroad, come back to TEXAS, and buy an NSX!!

NSXFreak00 said:
Conclusion- have fun on your study abroad, come back to TEXAS, and buy an NSX!!

I can't wait to come back to Texas. I'm finishing my final semester here in Boston. I've been here three years and winter SUCKS. Take me back to when I used to think 40 degrees was COLD.

Autophile said:
FYI, my NSX has a later VIN than that one, and it is not in the range.

1991 NSX Black/Ivory #2463
While the VIN isn't absolute proof, I believe the snap ring transmissions first started showing up in '91 USM NSXs with serial number somewhere approximately MT002500 and higher...

Dave Hardy said:

I Flew up an down the west coast twice and finally got My car shipped from Tenesee after paying an acura dealership to go through it and take compression. After having them check the tranny and finding the supossed non snap ring was within Snap ring failure range, i still paid $27.7K and $1.1k for trucking.
red/blk
cantrell AIS
K&N filter Awesome stero upgrade with orignal head unit
Very Little Bolster wear
was I an idiot? or is Mr. Hardy a magician?

Last edited:
HPV100 said:
I would never buy a car, only to have it stored for a year. That's worst than burying your cash in your own backyard for a year. My suggestion would be to put that money in a mutual fund or a one year CD and when your back from your studies in Austrailia, you'll have money to buy a nice NSX. Cars will always be there, I have never heard of a one and only deal. Don't make an emotional buy, focus on your studies and when your ready, you will find the right deal. :wink:
If your financing don't bother getting a loan and putting it in the bank. Just wait till you get back.

Paul

Paul,

Wow! That's the best advice, "Don't make an emotional buy..."

Come back in a year Stewart and I'm sure there will be another NSX around. :biggrin:

Best of luck in your study and see ya around,

Vizal

Back