• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does Anyone Have A Real Type R?

Since I purchased my car, all I seem to do is watch youtube videos on the NSX. I can't seem to get enough of them. Richard Hammond's (TopGear) test of the Type R was interesting as he seemed to be more bent on telling the audience the NSX was dead rather than doing a proper test drive.

Does anyone have any experience with the Type R? Does anyone here actually own one? Is the difference like that between an Integra GSR and a Type R?

I'd love to hear some stories. I understand that they were never available in the US, but I'm sure that hasn't stopped some of you with deep pockets into making your own. Who comes the closest to having the best clone in the US? Thanks in advance.

Here in Australia. He is on Prime as well.

there is a member in the UK who used to own a 1994 type-r.

Amazing, but I would rather have the opposite I think: all the engine tidbits over the looks...I think that's where all the fun would be. Of course the whole package would be optimal.

I'm starting to get the feeling that some people would want nothing to do with a Type R and love the NSX for other reasons? (turbo or supercharging)

Would you gladly give up your supercharged NSX for a completey stock Type R with the stipulation that you could never modify it?

i think what has put off most people to obtaining a real nsx-r is the price and the red tape dealing with registering it for road use. member serialnsxr definitely had the funds to purchase a nsx-r from japan, bring it into the states, but registration is where that all fell flat on its face.

in a lot of ways, his is the best of both worlds. the chassis is very stiff, suspension is soft, but very aggressive, the engine and trans combo (osgilken diff, shorter gears, and the 3.8L N/A) make it a beast on the streets and the track if he wants, and this was all done for roughly the same cost as an nsx-r would have cost to purchase/import.

Last edited:
Ary from NSXCB had a real Type-R, there is also another member on NSXCB with one. There is I believe 4 NSX-R's in the UK and also another NSXCB member has a TYPE-S

Amazing, but I would rather have the opposite I think: all the engine tidbits over the looks...I think that's where all the fun would be. Of course the whole package would be optimal.

I'm starting to get the feeling that some people would want nothing to do with a Type R and love the NSX for other reasons? (turbo or supercharging)

Would you gladly give up your supercharged NSX for a completey stock Type R with the stipulation that you could never modify it?

I would cuz the resale value of a type R in the usa would be crazy high I feel

I had one and to be 100% homest I prefer my curreent set up faster all around and more to my liking.

With the NSX-R is like a stewardship, where you really cant doo much to it in case you devalue it.

Cheers,

AR

I'm gonna put on my flame retardant suit before saying this... but... I think people on this forum make too big a deal out of the factory Type R. I think its a great machine, but really... balancing a stock motor is nothing campared to all the great builds you can do now from strokers to SC'd and turbocharged cars. The suspension is great, but it isn't better than a set of Motons. The brakes are good, but come on... you can get 6-pot Ceramics from Movit for this car. Comptech has all sorts of non-compliance chassis parts, which are all tested through racing, which are not available on an NSX-R. The goodness in the NSX-R from a racing perspective (which very few actual NSX owners do), is the fact that the coupe is slightly tighter than a targa with its roof locked in place. If you are racing, you may have a rollcage which would make that difference in rigidity meaningless.

I don't mean to knock the R. As an NSX owner, that car is my hero.... I see a big cool factor in these conversions, but as far as it being some sort of performance king like some people claim, it just isn't. A standard NSX with some good mods will create a much faster car than a real R at any racetrack with less cost. Of course it will never have the proper factory mother Honda "R" aura, but it will be a better performance car. The only reason I would change my SC'ed NSX for a factory R is because of its rarity and actual cash value. If you take that away, and ask me if I would prefer to drive around a factory R everyday or a standard NSX modified to my liking, I would much rather take the latter. Frankly after spending 2 years with a supercharged car, I am not sure I would ever want to go back to a standard NA motor. Whether it is "balanced" or not.

Last edited:
I'm gonna put on my flame retardant suit before saying this... but... I think people on this forum make too big a deal out of the factory Type R. I think its a great machine, but really... balancing a stock motor is nothing campared to all the great builds you can do now from strokers to SC'd and turbocharged cars. The suspension is great, but it isn't better than a set of Motons. The brakes are good, but come on... you can get 6-pot Ceramics from Movit for this car. Comptech has all sorts of non-compliance chassis parts, which are all tested through racing, which are not available on an NSX-R. The goodness in the NSX-R from a racing perspective (which very few actual NSX owners do), is the fact that the coupe is slightly tighter than a targa with its roof locked in place. If you are racing, you may have a rollcage which would make that difference in rigidity meaningless.

I don't mean to knock the R. As an NSX owner, that car is my hero.... I see a big cool factor in these conversions, but as far as it being some sort of performance king like some people claim, it just isn't. A standard NSX with some good mods will create a much faster car than a real R at any racetrack with less cost. Of course it will never have the proper factory mother Honda "R" aura, but it will be a better performance car. The only reason I would change my SC'ed NSX for a factory R is because of its rarity and actual cash value. If you take that away, and ask me if I would prefer to drive around a factory R everyday or a standard NSX modified to my liking, I would much rather take the latter. Frankly after spending 2 years with a supercharged car, I am not sure I would ever want to go back to a standard NA motor. Whether it is "balanced" or not.

i completely agree with these sentiments. A car can be made faster, and several members on nsxprime have made cars that are better balanced and more powerful than a factory nsx-r. but in some cases, faster isn't always better. the factory nsx-r is very very rare, and in that alone, it is worth it to some people...

I too agree with the last 2 ..however the type R is cool however being only RHD, it would never really interest me as I hate RHD period..

The car has the "cool factor" no doubt but its performance is no big deal to me as NA NSX's are just underpowered but running 5-6 lbs of boost in any manner wakes up the giant and makes the car that much MORE fun.

I like the OEM type of mentality for mods on this great car and thats where a type R would be AWESOME has the parts on it are rare and special which make an NSX an exotic car

Last edited:
Frankly after spending 2 years with a supercharged car, I am not sure I would ever want to go back to a standard NA motor. Whether it is "balanced" or not.

Agree 1000% with your assessment that a better-built R beats a real R -- or in my case, a better RR beats a real R :)

But I'll offer an observation of my all NA Jon Martin motor as compared to my past CT SC NSX: albeit a SC motor has more absolute horsepower (l-o-t-s more RWHP), my lower HP "all NA" motor delivers a more instant punch. Just breath on the fast pedal, and you've scooted from your lane, ahead of another car, into the other lane. No drama, just place the car exactly where you want it.

And, you really can just feather the throttle and dance an NA car through corners. Combined with gears and an LSD, not much can touch an NA ride for everyday driving. On a long stretch...you got me :(

Sounds like everyone is agreed that the R isn't worth the extra cost and the marginal performance gains.

However, I wonder what would happen if you happened to come across a pure type R for sale in your neighborhood...would the temptation just be too irresistable? Bragging rights? Talk about having the advantage at any car show. F430's are a dime a dozen compared to the Type R.

It's kinda like Pamela Anderson. No one wants to bang her until you see the girl in person...then everything changes.

"nsxjapan", aka Hirofumi, aka president of the NSX Club of Japan owns a 1994 Type R. Nice guy too!

Sure you can build a better Type-R, but that's in part to the Type-R. The aero package on the Type-R was actually designed and tested by people with degrees and experience in automotive engineering. Honda wind tunnel tested the aero package, has anyone else?

Also good luck getting a 1997+ coupe.

Also MakeMineRed, the performance gains are not marginal. At 2800lbs, the car is 200+ lbs lighter then a coupe and 300+lbs lighter then a targa. The engine is blueprinted for modest gains.

serialNSXer, your car is amazing, but it takes a lot of time, trust (in the shop), and money to get a targa turned into a coupe.

The problem with the type-r for most people is that you cannot have one. If you could you'd be better off getting one and taking care of the simple power problem.

Last edited:
HI
Had few real Type Rs which were imported from Japan,And now are in Oz
Well exept one which was sent back home worth more there than here.
Totaly different car from stock NSX.
very mean and aggressive feels firm.Had both stock and Type R.
Unless you modify the stock Nsx then it feels close to Type R.:biggrin:

Serials perspective is refreshing about the NA. I really appreciate that - tell me a little more about why you like the NA. Obviously you've had the SC or TC. Is it the spool up of the systems available or what? I'm curious not that I have the coin to spend on either one but I like the idea of NA - like the GT3 911s. I'd rather have a GT3 than a GT2.

Interesting, thanks for the write...

Isn't the 2002 NSX-R the only one worth having?

I was under the impression all the other early model NSX-R's have only small improvements & nothing done to the engine.

Officially there's no engine improvements to any Type-R but the NA2 Type-R's engine is balanced and blueprinted resulting in up to 10% more hp. Consensus is that the average NA2 Type-R is somewhere north of 300 hp.

It's not that hard to find a NA2 coupe. One usually pops up on Ebay or Autotrader once every year or two. Unfortunately there's no 02+ coupes but a 02+ conversion isn't hard to do and if one's going to do a conversion any NA1 coupe will do for a Type-R conversion.

I'd estimate maybe $20K for a full NA2 Type-R conversion and Anil would have more exact numbers (although he's done quite a bit more work and his car is certainly superior to the actual Type-R in many ways.) It's not that unreasonable and infinitely more feasible than obtaining an actual Type-R. It will still be some time before an actual Type-R gets to the US, if ever.

Back