• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does anyone with an NSX drive a TL TypeS ?

jag

Contributing Member
I am considering a TL Type S as my daily driver and am interested in any feedback on any experiences with one. Is the 260hp Vtec comparable in anyway to the 290hp NSX Vtec? How about handling with the tighter sports suspension? And for those of you like me in the artic, how does the car handle in wet/snowy conditions?

Any insight would be appreciated.

My brother has one and I think it is a great car. It only comes in sport shift, but is faster then most of its competitors with autos. The car is quite quick. The handling is good, of course not an NSX but for a sedan with stock (sport) suspension i believe it is excelent. Nice lux ride when crusing but sporty when you need it to be. Only driven it in the wet but it was excellent. And for the price you can't get anything like it.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

It only comes in sport shift, but is faster then most of its competitors with autos.

Didn't they say they were coming out with a six-speed for 2002? Or is that only going to be available for the CL Type S and not the TL Type S?

Jag,

I just bought a TL Type S this weekend! (Pearl/Tan.) So far, it seems to be a great car -- and for the price, there was nothing that could ever come close. The power is great, although you should not expect NSX like response when you step on the loud pedal. It will certainly pass with authority when asked, and the sport shift is fun to experiment with. It is as quiet as a tomb inside at 70 m.p.h. If fact, Car and Driver states that it is the quietest car they tested this year. (Ten Best Issue, Jan 2002). I shopped around quite a bit before I bought mine -- Lexus, Infinity, Audi. The TLS was, hands down, the best value. BTW, I bought mine for $1000 over invoice. Hope this helps.

Or is that only going to be available for the CL Type S and not the TL Type S?

Yup, six-speed is only available for the CL-S, not the TL-S.
frown.gif

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

I have a 2001 CL-S. It has the slush-O-matic transmission. I would hold out for the 6 speed (wish I had). They just replaced the transmission under warranty, and I swear I'll never buy another automatic or whatever they decide to call it.

Also It is a front wheel drive while some of the other of the sport sedans have rear wheel drive.

Other than that it's been a pretty good car (like souped up accord) for daily transportation.

I drove a 00' CL Type S. It was a nice car. I liked it a lot more than the Lexus IS300. The CL really reminded me a lot of the old T-bird SC I used to drive.

The only thing that disappointed me was the power. Yes, I know it has 260 HP VTEC, but it just doesnt feel like it. I guess I expected to be thrown back in my seat like in the T-bird. Once again, mad torque vs High RPM.

Anyway, I really did like it a lot and I don't think you will be dissapointed.

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

Actually, Honda has proven (with cars like the Integra Type R) that they can build incredible levels of handling and performance into a FWD car.

I don't think the entry level luxury market wants or needs RWD. In fact, the number of people who get the 6-speed are likely to be only a very tiny minority of buyers. The enthusiast market in this segment - which is basically limited to the M3, ignoring that heavy Benz competitor - is really very small.

Incidentally, the CL/TL Type S are incredible bargains, mostly because they include so much standard equipment that is optional on their competitors. Comparably equipped, the Lexus/BMW/etc generally cost $8-10K more than the Acura, and they're not all that different in most other respects.

Well, I picked up a silver type s tonight. It's really a nice car. DeHaldaswerth and Nsxtasy are right on when they talk about value... I looked at just about everything and the TL type S has incredible standard features compared to everything else.

The sportshift actually doesn't bother me at all... as you can see from my avatar... that's what I drive when I'm in my NSX... and my wife loves the full automatic in both.

As for the rear wheel drive, hgunnerz & Chris don't get it. I live in Minnesota where we get 60+ inches of snow and ice. Rear wheel cars suck. I traded a BMW 540i w/traction control because I couldn't even get out of my driveway with a couple inches of snow on the ground. You guys in Washington state & Florida don't know what you're missing.

Thanks for the input. My NSX now has a little brother.

[This message has been edited by jag (edited 13 December 2001).]

It must be nice to be able to get a TL-S as a 2nd car. I had to give up my 2001 CL-S to get my 2000 NSX-T. I really liked my CL-S. No complaints at all. I had a '97 Mustang GT Conv. before the CL-S and I didn't miss the V8 at all when I made the switch. Again, it won't go like an NSX but it is very competitive with other luxury sports. The price can't be beat.

I am currently shopping for a bad weather car but I need to keep the payment in the $200.00 range with no money down. I have a '97 Explorer on lease through next April. It was my wife's before we got her an MDX. I am OK for this winter but I will definitely have to get something for next year. I am considering a base RSX or maybe a PT Cruiser. I'm not a big fan of American made cars though.

Matt

------------------
2000 NSX-T #49
Silverstone/Black
9000 miles
No Mods

TL-S is pretty quick, Comptech header alone gives you 30hp not sure at the crank or wheels through, either way it's very impressive. I've raced one TL-S in my friend's S2000 and I was very surprised how fast that thing was. Although he took off the line a bit faster, 1st-4th gear we were about the same fast and I was finally able to pass it very slowly at the end of 4th gear. Well, I wonder if the TL-S was modded or not.

Jag,congratulations on your purchase, like I said it's a good daily driver. You are right I don't have the same need for front wheel drive as you do and it took me some time to get used to it (almost all my cars have been rear wheel drive till now). It definitely has some torque steer in hard corners. As far as power, its resonable (not even close to NSX though). I will investigate the headers and maybe a K&N too (thanks NSEX).

As far as value, I looked a long time and you all are right the Acura had a great value (even though I don't use many of the gizmos).

Now a question for the other owners of CL-S or TL-S, do you have any strange shifting in full auto mode. Mine has had problems since new: shifted funny under hard cornering or S turns (miss shift, and lots of slippage). I complained to no avail (Acura said it was my tires??) then the transmission just burned up one day (still trying to get rid of that smell of burnt transmission fluid). They replaced the transmission and the new one whines a bit more. I noticed yesterday the new one is having problems too in hard corning. Fluid level fine. Anyone else? Maybe I'm too used to driving the NSX
smile.gif

hg

I own a 2002 pearl white TL- type S

I really love the engine its extremely quiet and responsive ... sounds like an F1 car in the VTEC range

I would love to mod it up a little with headers/exhaust ... with those mod i'm sure the 0-60 would be in the 5's ....

Originally posted by hgunnerz:
Now a question for the other owners of CL-S or TL-S, do you have any strange shifting in full auto mode. Mine has had problems since new: shifted funny under hard cornering or S turns (miss shift, and lots of slippage). I complained to no avail (Acura said it was my tires??) then the transmission just burned up one day (still trying to get rid of that smell of burnt transmission fluid). They replaced the transmission and the new one whines a bit more. I noticed yesterday the new one is having problems too in hard corning. Fluid level fine. Anyone else? Maybe I'm too used to driving the NSX
smile.gif

hg

Never noticed that with my CL-S. However, I didn't bang on it too hard. Torque steer was a little annoying but I could live with it. I heard that Acura is considering RWD on the CL and TL. Of course, that was a rumor the sales guy told me a year ago. Haven't heard anything about that since.

Matt

------------------
2000 NSX-T #49
Silverstone/Black
9000 miles
No Mods

For those interested in a RWD 4 door sedan with very good handling (for a sedan), excellent brakes and outstanding power, I suggest a look at the MB AMG C-32. My wife's C-32 recently ran 0-60 in 4.89 seconds (limited by very poor rear tire adhesion) and the 1/4 mile in 13.34 seconds at the local track. While it is only available with an automatic transmission, the abundant torque makes it a great street/highway car. Unless driven by one very proficient (and willing to sacrifice their clutch), the C-32 is faster off-the-line than either the E-46 M3 or present M5. Above 100 mph, no matter who is driving, the C-32 will walk away from an M3. How do I know this? I've done it!

Originally posted by Joel Zoldessy, MD:
For those interested in a RWD 4 door sedan with very good handling (for a sedan), excellent brakes and outstanding power, I suggest a look at the MB AMG C-32. My wife's C-32 recently ran 0-60 in 4.89 seconds (limited by very poor rear tire adhesion) and the 1/4 mile in 13.34 seconds at the local track.

Same for the SLK-32 AMG. Really quick even with an auto.

BTW, Ken, you might want to ignore "that heavy Benz competitor", however, should you come upon a C-32 on the street/highway do not even contemplate a race. As the prior owner of 92 and 95 NSXs, I can tell you from much experience that the pre-97 models are simply no match for the C-32. Even though the NSX Coupes are superior handling machines, the C-32's very significant torque advantage would make it more than competitive on most tracks.

Well, I sold a BMW 540i because of how terrible it handled in the snow. The salesman I bought my TL-S from said that this car would handle very good in the snow.

Well the proof is in. For the last three days we've had rain, sleet, ice and 6" of snow and this car is unbelievably incredible!!!!!! On a scale of 1-10, the BMW was a 2, my TL-S is a without question a 10. I could not have dreamed and would never have expected it to handle as well as it does. The braking is excellent, the front wheel drive with traction control is better than any car I've driven in the winter...

I only have one regret... that I didn't do this sooner. I love it.

Back